Training Flights

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

JJacobs

Training Flights

Post by JJacobs » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:15 am

Is it possible on flights without pax to not have the X1000 multiplier?

Ionathan
Captain

Post by Ionathan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:13 am

For the time being it is not. I don't know if Konny plans something for the future. What I do in my VA for checkride flights wouldhelp though. I use a small aircraft as a trainer aircraft (a Cessna Skyjawk) having set the ticket price to zero. The aircraft always has soem passengers but it could be said to simulate the instructors. The zero ticket price brings no income but some loss for the fuel. It is fair enough and realistic, I believe.
CEO
Ionathan Airlines

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:37 pm

I think that the biggest problem is the use of a multiplier in the first place. If anything it shouldn't be more than x10, but the problem we run into is that FlyNET doesn't currently calculate hourly fixed cost of operation.

For example, a CV-580 costs $1000-$1500 per hour to operate which includes a portion of the payments for the airplane (if on lease or has a loan against it as many aircraft do) based on the average number of hours a month it's going to fly, the cost for salaries of the flight and cabin crew plus the cost of maintenance for that hour of flight (calculated based on how much the periodic inspections (A, B, C, & D Checks) cost then divided by the number of hours between them and then all 4 hourly costs for the checks is added together to give the hourly maintenance cost. Add to this the cost of ground personnel (ramp agents, gate agents, fuelers, etc) and a couple of other costs, and you get the cost per hour to operate the aircraft. For our purposes, assume that you have 10 ground personnel for 2 hours per flight, so you're looking at something like $300/flight, so your cost per hour is that $300 divided by the average number of hours per flight (Convair 580 would be 2 or 3 hours, 747 would be 8 hours or more).

From all that, you get a cost per hour of operation. I don't know where we'd get that information in particular, but it would be fairly accurate to guesstimate the amounts based on aircraft we do find information for as the cost-per-hour doesn't change too much between aircraft of similar size and age, the biggest fluctuation is the amount of fuel burned, but that's not calculated into the fixed operating costs just as Catering is on a per-flight basis and not calculated into the fixed cost. Seat-mile costs however do account for catering and fuel costs because they're used for planning ticket prices.

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:53 pm

Right now the cost to operate is included in the tally from what I can tell. Them longer the route is in NM, the more expenses you pay in catering, flight crew salaries etc.

These are all very good ideas, and will be implemented I am sure, however, at the moment the top priority is bugs in the client, once those have been settled, we can continue with the additions to the website/pricing etc. I figure airframe age should be considered, but then what yardstick will we use for a flynet "year?" Lots of considerations when building an economy simulator from the ground up...

Cheers,