Dual Cockpit

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

SnakeBite
Ticket Agent

Dual Cockpit

Post by SnakeBite » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:37 am

Hi there,

Will be any dual cockpit flying possible on FlyNet any time soon?
TBH, I bought FSX for this purpose, and it would be great to have this implemented on Flynet.

Thanks

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:08 pm

Dual cockpit has always been possible. It's just that only one pilot can log the flight at a time. What you have to do is at the end of the flight, you transfer the "co-pilot" on that leg to the destination and then they fly as the "pilot" on the next leg.

Konny & DaKurt have some sort of "automatic" dual cockpit setup on the wish list, but it's very difficult to program such a situation, so it may be some time (if ever) before it's added.

SnakeBite
Ticket Agent

Post by SnakeBite » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:46 pm

Thanks for the info.

Will try to do that, but you're still flying some hours which won't be recorded in you logbook.

But what if both pilots open Flynet? and fly together?

I remember we have tried that once, but didnt work, as it recorded one and the other one wasnt. I dont remember exactly what happened on that.

any clarification about this?

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:38 pm

Yeah, it's cheating.

I don't know how to put it any more simply than that. If both open FlyNET and attempt to fly the flight as 2 people in 1 cockpit, then you're cheating because you're attempting to make revenue for 2 flights when you're really only completing 1 flight. This is why Konny and DaKurt will try to figure out a way to allow it because you can't have 2 flight revenues for 1 flight being flown but you want to have the crew each get a share of the revenue and hours.

The questions that they have to answer and program into the client are -

1) Do you have the same percentage/rate of pay but split the value between the two pilots or do you give each the percentage effecively doubling your cost?

2) Do you split the hours between PIC (Pilot in Command) and SIC (Second in Command) thereby setting up 2 hour scales and potentially 2 pay scales? How should that be handled and how is it decided who is PIC and SIC? Do you expand to 3 type ratings - training, SIC, and PIC, or just have a button where the PIC selects himself as PIC when he loads FlyNET?

3) How do you work this into the client? Do you have the client somehow check that there is a second pilot aboard (I don't even know if there's a variable in the FS or FSUIPC code to determine that)? Do you have 2 instances of the client working at the same time (one on each pilot's computer) or just one?

There's more, but those are the "big" ones. Once all of the questions are answered, then dual-cockpit flight might be possible.

SnakeBite
Ticket Agent

Post by SnakeBite » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:18 pm

It looks complex, however I can give my input here:

1) Splitting the value, as it is more realistic to me.

2)Why do you need PIC and SIC for? Both are flying, so both are building their flight hours. A PIC/SIC system would be tough to implement.

3)Now here were problems start, Im not either sure how it would be to determine if you're flying in a dual cockpit or not, but when you think about, you must be connected to another computer via GameSpy or Hamachi, but then again, dont know how that would be determined.
Another option, is to have a check box like "flying in dual cockpit mode" in this case, the client should be provided with either the IP of the (Host/Client) and a connection might be established with the other computer's Flynet client. So basically 2 clients working together on 2 different PC's linked through the internet.

These are only my thoughts if its any help, Im not an experienced programmer neither an inventer, but I wish you good luck guys.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:42 pm

cap i dont think its cheating if its done the right way... if they make 2 flights one the same route, then they both could do one of those route as long as there is another aircraft there of the same type... if me and a friend want to fly to jfk from pit, then i would have to make two diff. flights from pit to jfk using 2 aircraft of the same type. if you do it that way then i dont see it as cheating because both have their own flights, and both are flying them.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:42 pm

No, you're not. You're sharing a cockpit so there is only 1 flight being completed but you are making revenue for 2. If there were 2 flights going the same way at the same time for a fly-in, for example, that would be different because the departure and arrival times would be slightly different as would the fuel consumption. But for a shared flight, you would both get the exact same departure and arrival times, the exact same fuel consumption, the exact same penalties, etc.

It is cheating, plain and simple.

Please don't keep arguing the point because it's a set-in-stone issue. It was hashed out months ago and this was the decision made.

I don't wish to lock the thread, but I will if it is not understood that at this time the only way to fly with a shared cockpit - legally on FlyNET is for only 1 of the pilots to be running the client at the time of the flight. Any attempt to share a cockpit and both pilots to run FlyNET will be caught and will be removed.

End of discussion. If you want to add on your opinion of how to impliment shared cockpits, feel free, just leave this issue alone.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:51 pm

ok see i misunderstood... i thought he meat they both were flying the same flight... not to diff. ones...
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

SnakeBite
Ticket Agent

Post by SnakeBite » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:48 am

No, it is some sort of cheating, unless one books a training flight, same route, and the other flies and gets the revenue and then share the cockpit. Im not sure if this works as well, but anyway, the intention was to get some update about that issue, and there I got it.
It would be extremely fun to fly on Flynet with another guy sharing the same cockpit and revenue. Am not too much worried about revenue really, its just the fun of it while building your logbook and va reputation.

Happy flying..

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:41 am

Having the second pilot do it as a training flight would solve some of the problems but your still moving two aircraft from the departure to the arrival airport. Until there is a real solution for this its still cheating.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.