Client based Weight Calculations.

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Client based Weight Calculations.

Post by Quantum » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:47 pm

Hi,

With the talk of introducing different fare classes which allows the possibility of reducing seat capacity without impacting earnings, it would be a good time to let the client enforce aircraft structural limits. At the moment weight restrictions are not imposed other than to reduce cargo carried to try and avoid exceeding MZFW. All booked passengers and baggage are carried regardless, if even that exceeds MZFW.

I've been having a little play in Paintshop to try and give you a visual impression of what I'd like to see. For this to work, all aircraft would have to have the DOW/MZFW/MTOW/MLW weights on the database. These weights are to be used in calculating payload availability/user restrictions to enable aircraft to be operated within the aircrafts structural limits.

So, how could this work? As now, the client will load your aircraft to the MZFW and then when you start the client for the flight you will get a weight sheet where you can alter your payload and anticipated fuel figures so that the Client can ascertain that the intended flight will not exceed any structural weight limits of the aircraft. Once the weights have been adjusted, the Client will 'allow' you to proceed to the refuelling stage as usual. In practise you would have something like this :-

When you press the 'FlyNow' button, before you get the refuel page you get the Weight (and balance) page where the Client will check the figures against the database. The Client will input the default (booked) number and weight of the passengers, the weight of their baggage, the weight of the booked cargo and the amount of fuel currently in the aircraft tanks. The expected block fuel will remain blank at this stage. In the example shown below, the client has input the figures for the number of booked passengers, baggage, cargoi and fuel. You can see straight away that the aircraft has exceeded it's MZFW due to the generous baggage allowances that FlyNET allow. The aircraft ZFW is overweight by 1515kgs.

To bring the aircraft within it's structural limit, I have reduced the amount of passengers by 15. This will get the aircraft below the MZFW. I have input the amount of departure fuel that I will be loading to, and have input the expected block fuel. Hitting the 'Calculate' button, has given me my aircraft weights and the client has confirmed that I can now proceed to the refuel stage. The calculate button can be used as many times as you like until you get the aircraft within limits

When you proceed to the refuel page and fuel your aircraft the client would check that the 'actual ZFW' plus the requested fuel load still does not exceed MTOW. If it does then the Client would report the error and give you the option to alter the fuel request or alter the payload. At the end of a flight, the Client would check MTOW less block fuel and confirm aircraft did not exceed MLW. If MLW is exceeded a penalty could be given to the pilot.

If this were to be implemented, the MZFW cargo restriction could be made redundant and the cargo figure could always show the maximum weight that the aircraft could carry if configured as a cargo/QC aircraft. This would allow VA's to operate any aircraft as a true 'combi' as they can reduce the pax to any number that they wish and fill up with cargo. Actual number of passengers carried would be reported to the database if that figure was needed for any metrics relating to geographical areas.

I have no idea how easy this would be to implement or even if other users would like it. I personally think it is a good idea and would further enhance the FlyNET experience. This sort of restriction is already implemented and used with the 'client' program at FSEconomy - it will not let you fly if your theoretical payload is above MTOW.

Please note : These are just Client based calculations for the payload and would NOT alter the loaded weights in FS other than fuel, as is the case now. There are too many variations of payload stations and to program the client to make changes I don't think is possible. I dread to think what it could do to the c. of g.

Rgds

John
Last edited by Quantum on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:40 am

I agree with the idea as long as Konny & DaKurt think that it's possible to program.

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:46 am

Thanks for the response Chris, I thought this thread would have had more response by now. I reckon I'd have got more comments if I'd suggested we could buy hot tubs from the 'Upper Class Shop' which has far more pressing issues that need resolving than anything like this :roll:

Rgds

John
ImageImage

vaccaro
Captain

Post by vaccaro » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:59 am

Well, the idea is not bad but not all of us (especially myself) have those "as real as it gets" a/c (like PMDG, Feelthere, LevelD and etc) in their fleet.
I don't know much about aviation and also making models but, I think this will penalise people flying with freeware a/c.

Cheers,

IslandBum
Captain
Location: The middle of a bloody desert - surrounded by bright lights, long legged women and Paupers

Post by IslandBum » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:01 am

deleted
Last edited by IslandBum on Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ho'olu komo la kaua
Leif Harding
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Venture Hawaii PLC

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:13 am

Hi,

It won't penalise anyone whatever aircraft they are using. These are client based calculations only, to ensure that an aircraft cannot operate beyond it's real world capabilities. The client will not change anything regarding weights etc on your aircraft in flightsim other than loading the fuel as it currently does today. At the moment we only have a very basic payload restriction based on the MZFW, this just expands upon it. Whether or not you adjust the payload in flightsim is down to you, the user.

Rgds

John
ImageImage

IslandBum
Captain
Location: The middle of a bloody desert - surrounded by bright lights, long legged women and Paupers

Post by IslandBum » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:39 am

Now if we could just program in things like the TPI for the 1-11 and ther Trident :)

and have it do the speed card as well

:wink:

Leif
Ho'olu komo la kaua
Leif Harding
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Venture Hawaii PLC

Kimis

Post by Kimis » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:34 pm

I even would like to client have functionality to set payload paramaters of plane as it is done now with fuel.
But this could be to complec for programming.

BTW, I never used VA integration remote for briefing document before. Now I tuck a look and noticed remark "Warnings : Maximum Zero Fuel Weight Exceeded !!! Aircraft MZFW is 46,493 Kg. Reduce AC Load "
I would if I could. but how? cancel flyght, set 150% higher price to have less passengers?

And one more thing, which is not so compolex to program - If I have weight set to lbs, I would like to see weights as lbs everywhere, even at briefing document.

hectorp
Ticket Agent

Post by hectorp » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:56 pm

I personally believe this is a great idea and look forward for it.
I am hooked up to the Flynet concept because it is a fine approach to the real world of flying. This said, I think that John's proposal is another tool to make this concept even more real not to mention that we will learn from it a lot.
You have my vote John.
Hector

sp762
FSAirlines Support

Post by sp762 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:00 am

I heard you can now buy hot tubs at the first class shop! Is this true?

:twisted:

Seriously, I think it's a good idea, provided that everyone is prepared to do the research to set up the database properly. It needs to be as automatic as possible, otherwise eejits like me will get it wrong.
Mike Wilson