WarBirds

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:40 am

cmdrnmartin wrote:Last I heard, the 225 was dead, except for the one flying example. Since it was a one off project, I think we disallowed it, I'm not sure what the consensus was on that...
but that shouldnt of affected since it even though there was only one made, and its been used commercially, that it cant be added.... does this mean that it is not comin back?
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

samro

Post by samro » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:41 pm

"u could have the North American T-6 Texan, of the Navy's version the SNJ. I have flown them in real world... its a REALLY fun plane to fly. They would cost over a million dollars, since they are arround 1.5 in real world"

thats the stuff!! was looking at "fantacy of flight" web site and it list values of some of the aircraft!! still gives one something to aim for :-) I recon a few warbirds in there wouild be cool :-)
can you imagine B-29A-60-BN 44-62070 Fifi (N529B) he he he

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:09 pm

look at this site.. this is with the people i fly the t-6 with. they use to be part of a museum but after hurricane, i cant remember which, it was during the 05 season... but after the hurricane, the museum got really damaged, so now its just the flying place. they just got a brand new hangar. its really nice. they used to have 2 b-24's there. they have a cod there. they use to have a lot of old aircraft there that were privately owned, but since the museum is gone the aircraft had to get moved.

http://www.warbirdadventures.com
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

samro

Post by samro » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:15 pm

thats the sort of thing!!

I have the wings of power FSX add on, would be most entertaing to beable to use them with flynet i mean what CEO does not want a P-51D :-)

I think Alpha sim do an ace T-6!

http://www.alphasim3.com/Gallery/thumbn ... ?album=194

they do a T-28 too.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:04 pm

We do not, in principle allow military aircraft in the database. This is because the program is a civilian program and thus we do not agree with having military aircraft available for purchase. Right now, the only airplane in the system is the B-52 and it is there because of grandfathering. An aircraft was already bought when the rule was put in place, so we left it but closed down it's ability to be bought.

I would not be opposed to warbirds that exist in the private sector and some flying museum aircraft, however, I would be opposed to anything modern that is currently not allowed to be operated by civilians.

samro

Post by samro » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:48 pm

Sounds like a good rule, I was not thinking F-15, just some old WWII stuff for privet ownership, like the fighter collection hear in the uk or fantacy of flight or the "comemerative airforce" in the states! :-)

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:28 pm

ya they do have the t-6, im gonna get it eventually...
alot of old warbirds are used "commercially". B-17's are, t-6, P-51D (converted to the 2 seater, only 6 in existance i believe), T-28's, t-34's,B-24's. recently a b-17 was at a KAGC which the next county down from mine county airport, and they were offering flights in it.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:36 am

Actually, none of those aircraft are considered commerical operations. There's a very fine line between selling rides as a 501c3 (not-for-profit) and a certified air carrier (Part 91.1000 (Fractional), Part 125, Part 135, or Part 121). All "warbirds" flying right now fall into one of the following categories - Experimental, Restricted, Public Use, or Standard. The aircraft under the first and last are all owned by private entities or persons (i.e. museums or collectors) and any money can only offset the cost of the aircraft and its maintenance. The pilots cannot receive pay nor can the operation make a profit from the rides it sells. In the other two categories, the aircraft fly under contract to the government and while the operation may make money, they can only fly under a fixed contract with a government entity, not "hold out" to public sale as an Air Carrier can. FlyNET simulates neither situation, so unfortunately, those operations won't be covered in FlyNET. However, if you "own" a warbird and fly it for fun like any other private aircraft, that's fine and there ARE people out there who own warbirds for that reason - to show them off at airshows and have something fun to do on the weekend - same reason people collect custom cars.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:30 am

well the place i fly them at, is not a musem , and is not contracted by the government.and they pay their pilots. They have three t-6's all own by them, and they sell the rides. its 170 for 15min. 240 half hour, and 4?? or maybe its up into the 500 dollar price range for the hour flight. the people that work there, that is there only job, so they dont have any other means of income. this is more of a flight training place than just to go out and fly. this place isnt a museum, this is an actual business. but they do a little bit of restorations for private owners, as part of the business also, or at least they did.

So what would they be considered as?
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

IslandBum
Captain
Location: The middle of a bloody desert - surrounded by bright lights, long legged women and Paupers

Post by IslandBum » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:45 am

Reading your descritption - Its called a flight school - There are many places that offer the T6 as a precursor to those who wish to fly heavy metal.

Funny I dont consider the T6 an "Antique" don't know why :wink:

Leif
Ho'olu komo la kaua
Leif Harding
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Venture Hawaii PLC

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:54 am

well, see its not really a flight school either, they give u basic training, like how to do rolls, loops, etc.. but they give u that freedom to let u do all the stunts, u only do wat u want to, and most of their business, is probably just for fun. at least thats what i go for. but they offer the sessions for training. so its hard for me to explain.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

samro

Post by samro » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:51 am

"if you "own" a warbird and fly it for fun like any other private aircraft, that's fine and there ARE people out there who own warbirds for that reason - to show them off at airshows and have something fun to do on the weekend - same reason people collect custom cars."

when my airline has made me millions of V$ im going to to be on your case for a few :-)

T-6 still cuts the mustard, like the chipmonk just the high maintance costs of running old aircraft that lets them down :-(

speaking of high costs, I noticed that the CAF b-29 FiFi is grouned :-( I never got to see it fly :-(

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:43 pm

FiFi is grounded because of piss-poor workmanship at the shop that charged in excess of $250,000 per engine to do a "zero time" overhaul on her 4 engines. They lasted less than 4 hours before they became unsafe to fly. They are working on getting funding to buy new custom-built engines that will be more reliable, but it's going to cost almost $2 million and that kind of money is hard to come by. The other B-29 that is in restoration, "Doc" has engines that were overhauled by the same facility and there is a chance their engines have the same problem and they may be grounded as well for the forseeable future.

Not to fear though - both groups are trying to secure funding and hopefully they will get it. In the meantime, Ole '927 is flying and she looks beautiful. Most people know her as the LB-30 "Diamond Lil". She's now been returned to her original B-24A configuration and is officially the oldest B-24 flying and only short-nosed B-24 still airworthy. They're hoping to re-install the bomb bay doors this winter, so hopefully we'll see 2 fully functional B-24 bombers flying together in the near future (CAF's B-24A "Ole' 927" and the Collings Foundation B-24J "Witchcraft").

samro

Post by samro » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:50 pm

I think I wacher her fly in the late 90's @ RAF/USAF Fairford for IAT, I may even have some pics at home, I think there was a conny @ the same show!!! over in the USofA you may see this sort of h/w a lot but we don't see "live" ones much over hear :-(

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:35 pm

where i fly at, there use to be 2 b-24's that were fully restored, and flyable. they both were owned by private owners. i might be able to find some digital pics of them, if i do i will post some, since they vvery VERY nice.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways