Flight Monitoring

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Flight Monitoring

Post by cmdrnmartin » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:43 pm

Instead of having the current Section: Booked/Current

Why not make it more like an airport?

Have Arrivals/Departures.

Departures would list flights still on the ground (ie booked) and would show only the dep time (not both like it currently does.)
The Arrivals board would show the current flight's status, and the published arrival time.

DaKurt
FSAirlines Developer

Post by DaKurt » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:50 pm

true, true ... lets see what konny thinks about this
Claudio - FSAirlines Programming

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:39 pm

If you really wanted to get into it, perhaps a bit of coding to determine on-time/delayed status... ;) But that would take much more effort to do.

Miikoyan
Chief Pilot

Post by Miikoyan » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:33 pm

i really cant get my estimated time to arrival right....thats why i use VAFinancials because they have estimated time of arrival.

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:16 pm

gc.kls2.com

You can find out how long a route is there.

440knots is average for most jets

Add 15~20 minutes onto the time, and it usually gives a pretty accurate result for scheduling purposes. Actual ETA can be a bit harder to do...

Miikoyan
Chief Pilot

Post by Miikoyan » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:24 pm

thanks!

vaccaro
Captain

Post by vaccaro » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:44 pm

Also you may want to check simroute
http://sim-route.com/

Edit:
not so related to the subject but, this little tool converts the route (made with either asalink or simroute) into FS9/FSX format
http://ivao.hu/gergely/rf2fp.zip

Cheers,

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:08 pm

Hm, don't know if we should change to "Departures / Arrivals". I mean it's more or less the same but with different names.

And the problem I see with delay times is that maybe not everyone wants to fly at the time which is given at the flightplan. And we also would have to introduce a standard for the departure/arrival times, guess that would be local time at airport.
I personally would love to implement this, but maybe for some people that's already too much reality... ;-)
Konrad - FSAirlines Developer

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:36 pm

I had an idea, but again, no clue how you would implement it...

Since we know the distance to be travelled, and the client gives a speed variable in the upload, you could in theory, calculate the remaining time left on the flight. Furthermore, since we know where the plane is, we can draw a curve from that point to the arrival airport, and therefore, we know the percentage of the flight completed. Using the difference between the arrival and departure times in the flightplan, you could compare the aircrafts position to where it ought to be in the flight, and thus, get an on-time, or delayed response. (You'd need a flight time elapsed variable as well)

But yeah, that, to me, looks like some hefty programming.

Another issue is mega hauls, where the time becomes 13hours+1day, as the aircraft travels through midnight, or the IDL.

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:06 pm

Hi,

We mostly have just one flightplan on any particular route and the timings are there to give some sort of 'flow' to the possible schedule an aircraft may have been assigned. E.G. there may be an aircraft which would route EGSH-EGNV-EGPD/EGPD-ENZV-EGPD/EGPD-EGNV-EGSH and the times would allow for a 20-45 minute turnarounds at intermediate stops. Now, a VA pilot may wish to do a quick two-way journey EGSH-EGNV-EGSH to fit in with real world committments and so would not expect the pilot to wait all day to operate his return flight to stick to the STD. The STD's and STA's to a certain extent don't mean anything other than to give an expected en-route time.

Rgds

John
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:14 am

Konny wrote:Hm, don't know if we should change to "Departures / Arrivals". I mean it's more or less the same but with different names.

And the problem I see with delay times is that maybe not everyone wants to fly at the time which is given at the flightplan. And we also would have to introduce a standard for the departure/arrival times, guess that would be local time at airport.
I personally would love to implement this, but maybe for some people that's already too much reality... ;-)
i like the idea of having it, but here is one thing nobody is thinking of... when the new client comes online, u will be able to just keep on flying, you wont have to keep on restarting it. Because of having to keep on starting after every flight, im sure some people didnt do multiple flights in a row... so now they will. I dont think people (me) will be changing their time after every flight. I like the idea but it would take time for people to change the time after every flight, unless if the was a feature with the client to load the time automatically. and after changing the time after every flight, in one sitting of flying, by the 5th flight (or what ever) people (me) will say screw it. and just fly it in the time i left off in.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

Ionathan
Captain

Post by Ionathan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:03 pm

I am hijacking now, I know but since VAFS was mentioned, I have a quick question. Do they count no time if time compression is used? That;s from personal experience. If any admin believes this question diverts the thread I apologise and I have no problem to repost it in the off-topic section.
CEO
Ionathan Airlines