Air Craft Age

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Schnyd

Air Craft Age

Post by Schnyd » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:20 am

I was thinking today for a change and it seems to me that having some sort of age model for aircraft would be cool. The more hours an airplane has the tougher and more expensive it is to repair, to the point where it may be a better idea to scrap a plane and buy a new one.

Airboatr

Post by Airboatr » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:57 am

definitely more real world

but, some airlines are using classics to
create a past time feeling of their Airline

Something that should be taken into account
when considering the matter.

It could be unfair to them........
a disadvantage, for wanting to fly the classics.

Ionathan
Captain

Post by Ionathan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:58 am

I will agree with Airboatr
CEO
Ionathan Airlines

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:19 pm

i also like the idea, but maybe have only a/c that was made after a certain year could be "aged", like say a/c that came out after the year 1980 it would be aged but a/c that came out before 1980 could be, so they could be classified as a "classic a/c", or somethin like that...
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:04 pm

Mmmm, I'm going to say no to this, our A-check, B-Check (etc) system sort of covers the age thing already, and if you fly with correct models, the extra fuel burn gives another hit against profits. On top of that, with our new 'range' feature, some of the older birds have had their wings clipped, so to speak, and only the newer models can handle longer distances (with more pax).

Also, Leif, and the guys at British Classics would kill me, Konny, and the rest of the flyNET crew if we made their DC-8s fall apart on the runway. :p

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:09 pm

Hm, I don't think this idea is too bad. If we say that the age-value is calculated based on the flown hours. And the more hours it got the more you have to pay for maintenance, but the effect just shouldn't be too strong.
Konrad - FSAirlines Developer

MMattyK
Captain

Canvas, speed tape, wire, glue and a small tool kit...

Post by MMattyK » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:30 pm

Hey guys,
If your going to make my dear old rapide fall apart taxying out, can you allow me to carry an in-flight repair kit, with instructions so I can get one of the passengers out there patching the old lady up as we happily enjoy our nostalgia flights? :lol:

Airboatr

Post by Airboatr » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:49 pm

sure,
like then....... they'll be stripping down the Whitworth Argosy
to a single boom single engine aeroplane
and straping the pasangers on to it's spine...

It will only be a matter of time before one of them is thinking
He's Jimmy Stewart in The Flight of the Phoenix.

for crying out loud
:roll:
Last edited by Airboatr on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ionathan
Captain

Post by Ionathan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:51 pm

Konny is right I guess. Aging based on model would cause problems as Justin and the others said but aginf based on flight hours could be a good addition...
CEO
Ionathan Airlines

Schnyd

Post by Schnyd » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:10 am

You can have some sort of restore feature for the older birds. X amount of $$ will restore a vintage airplane to like new condition and the aging process would start over from that point.

Airboatr

Post by Airboatr » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:34 am

like Botox?
:lol:

gives em a good stiff upper lip though

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:55 pm

cmdrnmartin wrote: ................Also, Leif, and the guys at British Classics would kill me, Konny, and the rest of the flyNET crew if we made their DC-8s fall apart on the runway. :p
Justin, wash your mouth out :wink:

:)

Rgds

John
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:16 pm

And how he does. He got our name backwards and put a friggin' AMERICAN airplane in with our beautiful British-made aircraft.

Well, guys, I personally think that the only thing that needs to be changed is for the maintenance to be based on hours that continually rack up for the airframe instead of being reset every time you do maintenance on the airplane. I think that once that's set we can start talking about adding modifiers to cost as the airframe racks up hours. However, one thing to consider is that the only reason that there aren't as many 60+ year old aircraft flying is simply because they are running out of airframe life and there are no others of that model to replace them. Their operating economics and maintenance costs are still lower than any new or used airplane on the market. The Convairs are still extremely economical to operate and the aircraft that replaces them is the ATR-42 (CV240) or ATR-72 (CV340/44/580) and they are significantly more expensive to operate than the Convairs, even though the ATRs are 20 or more years younger than the youngest Convair.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:13 pm

the 707 is still flying strong after 50+ years of service. the youngest ones are only 15 years old, the stopped production in 1991. its still being used for pax services over in the middle east.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:14 pm

The last civilian 707 was a 707-320C delivered to Nigeria Airways on 30 Jan 1978. The only 707s in production beyond that were specialized military derivatives like the E-3 and E-6. The last 707 ever to be delivered was an E-3A delivered to the US Air Force on 1 April 1994.