"Remember this login" website feature

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Hendrik Nijmeijer

"Remember this login" website feature

Post by Hendrik Nijmeijer » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:45 pm

Why not making a very simple (optional) cookie'd login system, so I dont have to login again and again?

Thanks in advance,

Hendrik Nijmeijer

Alky

Re: "Remember this login" website feature

Post by Alky » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:27 pm

Hendrik Nijmeijer wrote:Why not making a very simple (optional) cookie'd login system, so I dont have to login again and again?

Thanks in advance,

Hendrik Nijmeijer
I use FireFox and it remembers my logins for all the different forums etc. that I visit. For FlyNet it puts the username & password in the login window automatically and all I need to do is click the button. Maybe your browser has a remember password function (?) :)

Hendrik Nijmeijer

Re: "Remember this login" website feature

Post by Hendrik Nijmeijer » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:34 pm

Alky wrote:
Hendrik Nijmeijer wrote:Why not making a very simple (optional) cookie'd login system, so I dont have to login again and again?

Thanks in advance,

Hendrik Nijmeijer
I use FireFox and it remembers my logins for all the different forums etc. that I visit. For FlyNet it puts the username & password in the login window automatically and all I need to do is click the button. Maybe your browser has a remember password function (?) :)
I also use FF, and i do the same, but still... When i'm in flight for 10 mins and i want to go back to FlyNet for some information or so, i still have to "login" and click on three (!!! :P) buttons, and since time equals money ... :)

allegro

Post by allegro » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:05 pm

Similar suggestion, received no response...
http://flynet.en-studios.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1686

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:15 pm

And until they are able to get more bandwidth, there won't be a response. Konny has addressed the issue at least 3 times now (search function works well). The server bandwidth is very limited. As such, allowing things like perpetual login (as you have on the forum) and longer timeouts is not possible with the current situation. When it improves, he will add in more features on the website like that. As both he and DK posted a few days ago, they are looking for new hosts that are acceptable and will give them enough bandwidth to do these things.

allegro

Post by allegro » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:21 pm

Sorry, I don't buy the logic.

It takes more bandwidth to display the pages to log in again than it does to just keep me logged in! If I'm not re-logging in the site can take me straight to what I want to do. Less hits/traffic, less time spent by me, good for all parties.

If you want to tell me that the developers are too busy to work on stuff like this, that's fine - I love FlyNET and the fact that it's free and am happy to wait for new features. I also have offered to help develop features since I've experience in web & software development (no response).

But I don't think the bandwidth issue should be raised as the reason why nothing can happen. Some things, sure.. this issue, nope.

Hendrik Nijmeijer

Post by Hendrik Nijmeijer » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:22 pm

Ohkey, dat sounds fair to me, i'll just wait ;) Thanks for the explanation...

allegro

Post by allegro » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:29 pm

P.S. to your comment about "search working well", in searching before I wrote my original post, I had seen posts asking for the feature. Some were brushed off ("Our session timer is an industry standard ten minutes", sorry but there is no such standard, at least not known to myself or the developers I've worked with), but Konny did acknowledge that the feature is on the to-do list. So, I figured I'd raise the issue again and remind the devs that this is important to their users, as I know when developing free, community-based software like FlyNET it can be helpful to know what your customers are interested in and what they're not :D

FsNovice

Post by FsNovice » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:39 pm

and surely this bandwith argument holds no water as it would only need to be coded in cookies when you first sign in and then its done. That isnt just a suggestion, i know this from previous experimenting with website design and javascript.

allegro

Post by allegro » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:42 pm

To clarify a point...

I don't want to come off as anti-FlyNET or anti-developers or anti-anything. It merely really annoys me when suggestions are ignored or features not implemented due to a catch-all excuse.

If the developers don't want to do it, if they don't have time to do it, if they don't feel like doing it, if they don't think it's a good idea, fine! No worries, I'll move along. But just give me a real reason, or simply say "We'd like to add this, but don't think we'll be able to for another six months or so". Or similar. A real reason, explanation, or response.

Hope that clears things up and helps my attitude come across.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:19 pm

To agree with the points raised above. I write websites for a living using php and I can verify that it takes no additional bandwith to set a cookie to identify the logged in person. Also there is no such thing as a 'industry standard' 10 minutes. The two most common ways are either 1) 24 hours or 2) forever. It does take some time from our developers (konny) to go in and make the change and that time is limited these days. While annoying I would consider this a low priority issues as there are other things I would like to see tackled first (like security issues and refueling stops).
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

DanKH
Ticket Agent

Post by DanKH » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:18 pm

Hear hear.

Chris' arguments are sometimes a bit far fetched, but in an attempt to seem knowingly, he sometimes exaggerate. and serves a quick-from-the-hip answer.... :wink:

Konny and DaKurt are both working on this free-time and I think that is the main reason why things don't happen "over night"

Being impatient just shows how much we all appreciate this system. But we must accept the fact that we are dependant on Konny and DaKurts will.

So we can address as much as we want but we can only accept what we get.
Best Rgds
Dan

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:15 pm

The explanation by Konny was that the timeout was required due to the need to allow others to access the server. Because of the limited bandwidth available at any given time, only 25 users can be logged in at a time. If you use cookies, the log-inss persist for as long as the cookie is valid (24 hours, forever, etc) and thus the node is not available for others to access. To prevent this from happening and people "hogging" a node, the 10-minute timeout was introduced. Until more bandwidth can be made available, there isn't a lot that can be done about that limit.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:37 am

http requests are stateless, you are only connected to the server while you are reading the next page, once you are finished reading the page your browser disconnects and the transaction is complete. A 25 user limit would mean that 25 users can be reading pages at the same time, the 26th will probably get the server error 500. You could have 500 users who are 'signed in' but as long as no more than 25 users are reading pages at once there will be no problem. The proof of that is this forum, its running on the same web server as the main flynet website and we don't have to log in again every 10 minutes.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

DanKH
Ticket Agent

Post by DanKH » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:43 pm

You are absolutely correct Joe.

Chris, there is no need for spreading misinformation around, so don't comment on things you do not have the knowledge of.

If you have an urge to comment on things, then it would suit you to be honest and say ex. "I don't know but I can find out" no-one will jump on you for that, and it would be more respectable.
Best Rgds
Dan