Older aircraft

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Older aircraft

Post by joefremont » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:02 pm

I really think we need to rethink the cost basis where we use older aircraft. While its true that in the real world older aircraft have much lower sale prices, this is because of many factors including higher maintenance costs, worn out airframes, noisy engines, outdated avionics, lack of current safety equipment, etc. None of these factors have impacts in FlyNET, in fact the way we work the maintenance costs are a lot less for the older aircraft rather than higher as such I would make two proposals. We should assume that all older aircraft are sold in aircraft they should be considered to have been fully restored with new or rebuilt engines, hush kits, updated avionics, etc and the values should include the cost of that restoration.

A) The value of aircraft while initially bases on real world prices should never be less than 1/2 the price of an equivalent new price.
B) The cost to maintain an aircraft should not be based on the value of aircraft but instead its empty weight, number of engines, in or out of production and if it uses piston or turbine engines.

I suggested the maintenace formula once before http://flynet.en-studios.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1037 and now am even more convinced that that is the way to go.

Now I run an airline with mostly older aircraft so this will make my costs higher but I think it will put the classic airlines on more of an even footing with the modern airlines.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

carthorse
Ticket Agent

Post by carthorse » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:36 pm

I think this is a good idea. Old aircraft aren't really "Old" in the flynet system.

IslandBum
Captain
Location: The middle of a bloody desert - surrounded by bright lights, long legged women and Paupers

Post by IslandBum » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:58 pm

Joe Ill third that

You already know my opinions about a Maintenance program - so Yes we should also add an "aging aircraft program" as well.
the simplest way would be to have someone do a quick conversion from the value when they were new and convert that in 2006 Virtual dollars which if Im not incorrectr you would find anything built in 1968 say you would have to mulitply the orginal price by a factor of 15 :shock:
and yes it effects my operation greatly as well

Leif
Ho'olu komo la kaua
Leif Harding
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Venture Hawaii PLC