"AI" pilots

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

avalonceo
Flight Attendant

"AI" pilots

Post by avalonceo » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:07 pm

How about when a person isn't flying a flight, "ai" pilots fly them, the kicker will be they will earn only X1 amount, But it keeps the planes moving like a real airline and still encourages real people to fly. Just a suggestion!

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am

Hi,

Your pilots would be chasing all over the place to find an aircraft and before you know it your fleet maintenance would be down the pan as well.

Rgds

John
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage

pete999

Post by pete999 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:25 am

I think its a good idea but needs to be thought through alot more tho! :)

Could work nicely :o

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:54 am

The other big problem (other than the ones John pointed out) is that if you have "AI" pilots flying every flight not being flown, then the flights that are flown can't have a multiplier either or if they do, it's no more than like 10x. The reason I say that is imagine an airline like CBFS or Wardair that have large fleets and flight schedules.

At CBFS we have a very nice statistics recording system that keeps a lot of info for us. Here's what it reveals -

In October, we flew 355 flights out of 3360 routes available (so about 10% of our routes were flown during the month). Now, for the month of October we grossed v$2,890,701 in profit. With our current multiplier of 300, we netted v$867,210,000. Now, let's fill in the other 3005 flights that weren't flown. We divide the gross by 355 to get an average per-flight profit of v$8143. Now, there's 3360 flights a day so we multiply the per-flight profit by the number of flights and get v$27,359,874 for one day. Multiply that by 30 (average days in a month) and we get v$820,796,228. To simplify that, if every flight in the month by the AI (and no-one flew any flight) we'd make almost as much as we did flying the 355 flights during the month.

Okay, say we flew 355 of the flights that month. Well, if we subtract the total of 355 flights (at the average gross) that means that we made v$817,905,463 on AI flights (since 355 flights weren't flown). Now we add in the net profit (v$867,210,000) and now we've made v$1,685,115,463. That's v$1.7 Billion for one month.

Now, if you make the flights all at 1x (or even make the real-person flwon ones at 10x) the total revenue each month won't change much so you get the activity without an unrealistic income each month. But the whole purpose of the multiplier was to allow a "realistic" income level for the airlines without having to do something complex like AI flights and right now, it works pretty well (as my math problem above discovers). So what would the purpose of AI flights be other than adding artificial activity to your airline?

Sorry to get long winded, but I wanted to make a point.

Edit: I forgot to thank David Maltby for creating the amazing statistics database he has to help everyone see how well the airline is doing and the pilots themselves are doing. It's a great tool.