Buy a ticket

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Buy a ticket

Post by joefremont » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:38 am

Simple idea:

When a pilot is buying a ticket to go to another airport, instead of having a dropdown for all possible airports in the world, maybe it should have a list of only airports where there airline has an aircraft parked or where the pilot has a personal aircraft.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:49 am

Too controlling, I like it the way it is allready, it's also handy for our 'virtual' meetings, if I dont feel like flying myself there.

I figure, just like in the real world, a pilot can buy a ticket to anywhere, however, having the option to enter the ICAO code for the airport to go to would be a good plus.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:58 pm

From what I see, 99.999% of the time a pilot buys a ticket to go pickup an aircraft so limiting the list to the cities where that can be done would make the 'Buy Ticket' interface much easier to use.

I guess I don't see the point of buying a ticket to go to a 'virtual' meeting. If the pilot does not care enough to fly themselves there, (retracted by the author).

If the interface was changed to a dropdown of airports with available aircraft and a place where the ICAO code could be entered I would not object.
Last edited by joefremont on Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ben_davies247

Post by ben_davies247 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:35 pm

Saying the someone is not 'dedicated' is definatley not going to prove your point anymore.

Justin is probably one of the most dedicated simmers and aviation lovers I have met. His MSN name is ALWAYS about planes,he has a PPL with Twin Engine Rating and IFR Rating.

And with all the work that he puts into FlyNET saying that that makes him not 'dedicated' is unfair I think.

I enjoy simming alot, but what If I dont have the time to get to a venue for a personal meeting? What if there is something more important. Like hanging out and helping people? Does that make me a not 'dedicated' simmer? Or do you just sit on FS all day, regardless of what needs doing or people you could hang out with?

Thats a bit, um, sad, dont you think? :wink:

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:54 pm

ben_davies247 wrote:Justin is probably one of the most dedicated simmers and aviation lovers I have met. His MSN name is ALWAYS about planes,he has a PPL with Twin Engine Rating and IFR Rating.

And with all the work that he puts into FlyNET saying that that makes him not 'dedicated' is unfair I think.
I am sorry if what I said came across as implying I though Justin was not dedicated to flightsimming, aviation or flynet.

ben_davies247

Post by ben_davies247 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:05 pm

No problem :wink: Just make sure your points are a bit more excact and well explained, then we can avoid this kind of confusion :wink:

BigQ

Post by BigQ » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:28 pm

There was talks in the past that tickets for pilots going to pick up planes/going to places on a route served by their own airline should be free, as in simulating that the pilot is using the jumpseat. Maybe 2 dropdown lists? 1 with all the airports, 1 with the airports served by that pilot's airline where tickets will be free? honestly i think that would be too overkill, maybe just show "free" besides the name of the airport on the list.

I understand that would make it hard for certain pilots, especially US pilots. Tough luck, it's Konny's fault for having such an extensive database lol. I would tend to agree with cmdrnmartin here however that the idea debated here is restrictive, as this could cause huge problems for joining pilots. I would definately support an ICAO code enter-and-make-sure-you've-got-the-right-airport feature, were it added to the site. We want to make this easier for pilots to use. We also want to make it attractive to use and easy to use for our new pilots. The ICAO code entering option sounds excellent to me.
Last edited by BigQ on Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ionathan
Captain

Post by Ionathan » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:29 pm

I will aggree with Justin and I will go further saying that buying a ticket serves also in simulating private travalling as a passenger. No functional added value? Yes, but it is something beautiful simulating also virtual travelling for any reason (including virtual meetings) in addition to flying and a virtual passenger can pick any airline for his/her travel not kust the one he or she is flying for.
CEO
Ionathan Airlines

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:43 am

OK, I did not expect so much opposition to this idea. At first I could think of a reason why someone would want to buy a ticket somewhere where they could not do anything in flynet except buy a ticket somewhere else. How ever Justin did give an example of a reason and why I can't see myself doing that, if someone wants to that there choice.

As to BigQ's points: I don't see it being a huge problem for joining pilots, once they are accepted at an airline the airports used by that airline would then be in the list, I for one would not move to a new city until after the company I applied to join accepted me. While I would never say that its Konny's fault for having such a huge database, but that's why we have this section in the forum, to suggest ideas to make things better 8)

I still think that a dropdown of airports where there are aircraft the pilot could fly plus a box where the ICAO code could be entered would make things much easier and less error prone, and give all the functionality to go to the other airports if desired.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:28 am

Hi Joe,

I made a couple of suggestions which combined would sort of give the solution you and I suspect quite a few would like.

http://flynet.en-studios.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1405

and

http://flynet.en-studios.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1399

Once a CEO gives a pilot type ratings, the pilot has the option to make his ratings active or inactive. Once the pilot has the rating he wants active he then choses to search for a flight. The search would give him the option of flights from all airports where there is an available flight according to his ratings and aircraft availability. Once the search is complete he can browse the flights and then select one to fly. If it involves a transfer then he gets a message 'Are you sure you want to buy a ticket to XXXX and book flight ABC1234 from XXXX to XXXX'. If he wants to continue flying from his current location he books flight the normal way.

Rgds

John
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage

ben_davies247

Post by ben_davies247 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:53 pm

Can I say the extensive database mentioned by Q was a joke, hence the 'lol' :wink:

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:30 pm

Yes Ben, no need to state the obvious.

ben_davies247

Post by ben_davies247 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:13 pm

I just didnt think you took it as a joke, my apoligies :wink: