Rookie Pilots and Exam Flights

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Ionathan
Captain

Rookie Pilots and Exam Flights

Post by Ionathan » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:44 am

I know I am flooding this forum today but this seems to be one of my creative days.
I suggest to introduce a Rookie status for our new pilots (on VA level). A pilot should become Rookie once he applies for a VA. Then he should have to do an Exam Flight assigned by the VA. The Exam Flight should be recorded somehow for the staff to check the results but not count in the stats in terms of profit, damage or even crash, simulating an examination in a real-life simulation.

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:53 pm

Hehe, thanks for your porpositions :-) The more, the better :-P

Currently exam flights could be done by buying a smaller aircraft and letting the pilot do his first flight on e.g. a King Air. If he succeeds he will get the Type Ratings for the bigger aircrafts, too. Maybe this is also a bit more realistic because you can't just do a flight without consequences. Ok, in real life there are pilot certifications for this.
Anyway, I'm not quite sure if an extra option to do exam fights is needed.
Konrad - FSAirlines Developer

HyperionAirways

Post by HyperionAirways » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:55 pm

I love the probationary pilot idea...one thing we used to do (in Hyp's first incarnation) is require pilots to be on probation for the first 60 days of service. This is just to make sure they're committed, and to answer any questions they've got.

We've never required a flight exam, mainly because I don't know how to code it to put it on a site, but if there were an option, it might be something worth looking into. If not, I don't mind skipping it!

Great idea, Ionathan!

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:39 am

I'd like to bring this topic back from the dead, because i believe it has merit, especially when FLYNet starts to grow!

Here was my idea, to make sure that pilots joining your airline don't make an aluminum pancake out of your pricier jets, how about having an option to rank them not as a pilot, but as a Trainee (since student is allready taken).

A Trainee's Flights:

Will count towards his hours and distance.
Will not register a crash (IE, If they make a pancake out of your aircraft, the aircraft is still 100% fine)
Will have the final income (whether its Pos or Neg) halved.

A person can only be checked off as a Trainee if their total hours are under 20. Over that and they've obviously proved themselves, and advance automatically to pilot. A CEO can promote Trainee->Pilot before this period is through.

Thoughts, Comments?

BigQ

Post by BigQ » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:48 am

Mr. Martin... where do all these good ideas come from?

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:38 am

I'm told sometimes that I'm smart...

Honestly, I just think about "gameplay" ho do we make a system that promotes learning, makes people want to succeed, and has the support from the big lines. I know one of the biggest fears of the CEOs is that a rookie will decide to take their expensive birds down to a scenic level with some hard surface, and thuis be out of a lot of money, really fast. So I just thought of a way to minimize that fear, and also prevent exploitation of the "no crash damage" clause.
and of course:
Keep it Simple.

BigQ

Post by BigQ » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:02 pm

Very true... I could have like 3 more pilots right now if I trusted them... but I don't... :wink: