Convertibles

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

IslandBum
Captain
Location: The middle of a bloody desert - surrounded by bright lights, long legged women and Paupers

Convertibles

Post by IslandBum » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:20 pm

Konny

I know this subject has been broached before but Im darned if I can find the thread

I just put an order in for 7 Short Skyvans - it would be nice to have the ability to toggle back and forth
between cargo and pax config - as the ICAO indentifier was the same for the Skyvan and the Skyliner
maybe a SC7C/SC7P switch might work - so the pilot could decide which to fly as appropriate to the mission
at hand :)

Cheers

Leif
Ho'olu komo la kaua
Leif Harding
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Venture Hawaii PLC

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:06 am

Hi Leif/Konny,

I've already suggested that when setting a 'Flightplan' we have the ability to restrict pax loads if required operationally. If we are also given the function to restrict cargo load, we could vary both to essentially operate a pax aircraft in cargo config. This would mean altering the aircraft data to reflect the max cargo in a pax config. So for example with the DC-3 you would have max 36 pax/max cargo 4670kgs. If you want to operate it as a pure cargo aircraft you set 0 pax for the Flightplan and FlyNET will load all cargo.

Rgds

John

BigQ

Post by BigQ » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:27 am

sounds interesting, but i'm sure it would be unpracticable if we have to "load the cargo" on the passenger seats... which is why i think there's a need to have both cargo and passenger aircraft... still allow cargo on pax flights, but just restrict it...

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:17 pm

Hi BigQ

A function to restrict pax/cargo load would still be desirable when booking a Flightplan.

Rgds

John

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:57 pm

BigQ wrote:sounds interesting, but i'm sure it would be unpracticable if we have to "load the cargo" on the passenger seats... which is why i think there's a need to have both cargo and passenger aircraft... still allow cargo on pax flights, but just restrict it...
Yes, but what about Covertible and Quick Change aircraft? In real life these aircraft can have the seats removed and be transformed into full cargo in only a few hours. There are several operators out there that fly 'C' and 'QC' aircraft out there in the real world that fly the aircraft during the day for major airlines as "filler" aircraft when there's a shortage of capacity and then fly cargo at night. Aeropostal is one of those that comes to mind immediately.

I think that each flight should have 4 options to select when being setup -

1) Type of flight (i.e. Revenue, Training, Ferry/Positioning)
2) Classification of Flight (i.e. Passenger, Freight, Combi)
3) Method of Flight (i.e. Linear or Hub) - this would give the option pilot booking the entire route of a linear flight at once and be able to simply land and then take off again flying the schedule while the hub flights will only allow the out-and-back legs be booked at one time.
4) Aircraft to be assigned (to give the option of having more than one aircraft on the same flight)

IslandBum
Captain
Location: The middle of a bloody desert - surrounded by bright lights, long legged women and Paupers

Post by IslandBum » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:08 pm

Which brings me back to wherre I started

The Skyvan was marketed with a QC format - where the seats were taken out in less than thirty minutes and the
aircraft was ready to use as a pure cargo aircraft - to that end - there is a defined pax load AND a defined max cargo
payload for the SKyvan so to all intents and purposes thats what you would be toggling between

Leif
Ho'olu komo la kaua
Leif Harding
Venture Hawaii PLC

Phlashgitt

Post by Phlashgitt » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:46 pm

BigQ wrote:sounds interesting, but i'm sure it would be unpracticable if we have to "load the cargo" on the passenger seats... which is why i think there's a need to have both cargo and passenger aircraft... still allow cargo on pax flights, but just restrict it...
Its very simple. Take the seats out first!

Seb

IslandBum
Captain

Post by IslandBum » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:42 am

Sorry to reopen this old wound but...

Can we look seriously at looking at either convertible configuration (as Proposed by Quantum) OR a combi capability
For instance the HS780 Andover is shown in the data base as a pure cargo aircraft (which it was in the military BUT was
also capable of being reconfigged in pax seating - the few civilian versions of the aircraft (used in Africa) were capable of carrying 44 pax or 28 pax and 2 pallets (2200kgs) - For the sort of operation the aircraft was used for in its short civilian life
it would be ideal for combi operations in say...ohhh Alaska 8) - is there anyway you could revisit the combi/Convertible
idea please or at least modify the HS780 database so it shows 28 paxs and 2200kgs of cargo

Cheers

Leif
Ho'olu komo la kaua
Leif Harding
Venture Hawaii PLC