Wrong Airport Handling

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Wrong Airport Handling

Post by joefremont » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:25 pm

I have been seeing a lot more wrong airport penalties recently, I think its because M$ has been updating the airports in MSFS much more often than sims traditionally do, they just did what I think was the 15th update.

Currently if you land at what the client thinks is the wrong airport, either destination or technical stop, and you did not push the divert button it records a 'wrong airport' penalty and ends the flight, there was one I reviewed recently where the technical stop was incorrect and they could not continue and I had no way to reset it. Usually the pilots have already flown to some other destination before I have a chance to review it so then my options on how to fix are limited.

So my brain wave is this, what if instead of recording the penalty and ending the flight, we still record the penalty but we do not end the flight, always reset wrong airport penalties as if a divert had happened and the pilot can continue to the correct airport. That means there will not be as much of a financial penalty to a wrong airport but will make the experience cleaner.

Thoughs??
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Re: Wrong Airport Handling

Post by Cat » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:20 am

sounds like a reasonable compromise and will reduce the agony of pilots stranded and ticked off. 8)

Although I still don't get it ... if the lat/long is correct and helipads are now incorporated into larger airports, how is the wrong airport thing happening? A lot of it comes down to the pre flight briefing, pilots should check the FSA database and/or maps to make sure where they think they are going is the same as FSA's filed flight plan. To simply "assume" Airport XYZ is the same across all sim formats is just asking for trouble. If you look on the map and your sim says you are flying to XYZ but FSA says its ABC, well you have to book the flight in FSA to ABC not XYZ. Yet in your sim you still fly to XYZ. And while all the diehard purists start screaming bloody murder, you have to remember FSA is designed for multiple simulator programs, not just yours. This is a known common "flaw" we have had to live with for years in order to be inclusive to so many different simulator programs.

https://youtu.be/KDcH4NBow04

In the real world, one pilot inputs the data into the FMS and the other verifies WITH A DIFFERENT REFERENCE SOURCE to confirm the route they are flying and the destination is all correct. Or that's how we used to do it WAY back in my other life ... LOL My real world experience is quite outdated and I'm sure ACARS does a lot of the things we used to do manually with the push of a button or two.