Happy Pilots

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Happy Pilots

Post by joefremont » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:51 pm

One thing I have been thinking about recently is a score for how happy a pilot is. For human pilots it would be a fun fact, when I get around to automated pilots it would be important, because happy pilots make fewer mistakes while unhappy pilots make more mistakes and are likely to quit your airline. I figure the score will be a number from 0-100

I figure happiness would be based on several factors.

Hours flown(30%): Pilots want to fly, normal real world regulations limit a pilot to 10 hours a day or 100 hours a month of flying time. if they fly less than that, say less than 60 hours a month then they will start getting unhappy. Say -0.5 for every hour less than 60 they fly. Flight hours would be calculated based on the raw hours of the flight plus 0.5 hours of prep.

Being near home(30%): A pilot wants to spend time near there home, I am going to add a home base field to the pilot, if the pilot spends a lot of time waiting for there next flight at an airport that is not there home will cause them to be unhappy, will also cause you to rack up higher hotel bills. I have added a 'home base' to everyones pilot profile. The system will calculate how much of your non flying time is at home or away. If the percentage of non flying time is less than 2/3 then the pilot will start to get unhappy.

Money(20%): Pilots want to get paid, they have expenses, I figure a pilot would normally start at 2000 per week and then gradually go up buy 50 per week until it reaches 4000 per week. If they make less than they expect then they will be unhappy.

Ratings(20%): A pilot wants to keep there type ratings, part of there professional development. They probably don't care if they have more than one but they need at least one, if they loose it they will be very unhappy. They also want to advance, or at least not go backwards. So if a pilot had a rating for one type of AC but is now flying a smaller aircraft, that would make them happy. Someone who was flying B747's but is now flying C208's would be very unhappy, while that same B747 pilot who is now flying B737's would be unhappy but not as unhappy as the pilot flying the C208's.

Thoughts?
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Re: Happy Pilots

Post by joefremont » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:19 am

I was thinking about how over working would effect the 'happiness' score, for automatic pilots it won't matter, the system will not allow them to do more than 100 hours a month, but for our human pilots we are not going to limit them, I did a check and we have over 100 pilots who have flown more than 100 hours in the last 28 days, 300 hours is not uncommon and at least one over 500. Maybe every 5 hour over 100 should reduce the score by 1%, so our pilot with 300 hours has a happiness score of 60 and our pilot with 500 only 20?

Again for human pilot it means nothing, it would just be for fun.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:43 pm

I have done some work on this. You can see your happiness score on your logbook page.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:15 pm

It took awhile to figure out where my "home base" field was. Edit Profile. :) I am apparantly unhappy cause I was based in Boise and flying out of Las Vegas. LOL

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:53 pm

Cat wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:15 pm
It took awhile to figure out where my "home base" field was. Edit Profile. :) I am apparantly unhappy cause I was based in Boise and flying out of Las Vegas. LOL
I set the initial value based on the airport you had the most arrivals at. For those who had no flights it was there current location, for all new pilots it will be what ever airport you start at. You can change it anytime you want and the system will keep track of when its changed.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:28 pm

8)