Leased Planes Seating

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Cat
Chief Pilot

Leased Planes Seating

Post by Cat » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:58 am

Quick Question: When an airline leases an airplane and then changes out the seating, do they have to put it back to what it was when they leased it when it comes time to return it?

If so, how does one find that information? Especially if they changed the seats before flying it. In my case, I can look at my first flight with it (100-22-10) as I changed the seats once I got the aircraft to my own home base. But if one looks in the seat config tool, that original seating config is not listed.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Re: Leased Planes Seating

Post by joefremont » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:34 pm

Good question, at first I though I must have locked that down but I just tried it and am able to change the seat configuration. So the question is what should it do? Lock it down so you can't change it or force the airline to restore it to its original configuration?
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:31 pm

I would suggest force the airline to restore it to the config it was in when leased, however that would require that layout to remain in the seat config section so the leasee would know what they have to set it back to when done with the lease.

The only thing I would prohibit is a leasee converting a passenger airplane into full on cargo. That is usually a one time deal and you are not going back.

But, for instance in our example, we took a "line airplane" and put in a sports charter seating layout. I would think something like that would be acceptable as long as it returns in the config it went out in along with being serviced to the lease specs. It cost us $1.315 million to make that change and will probably cost about the same to put it back. There is no way that cost should be forced on the airline that leases out the aircraft.

Classic example of special lease conversion: Iron Maiden when they flew the 757's. I think their Ed Force One 747 was left as is on the interior.

https://simpleflying.com/iron-maiden-747-now/

actually reading the above link, the 747 was not left "as is". They put in nice lay flat seats for those long flights.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:50 pm

This should be in place now.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:05 pm

Another question on leases: Will they automatically renew or terminate? I've got a sweet deal on my 737-800 going and would like to keep it "forever". LOL I can lease this airplane for 8.6 years for the cost of one used one on the Trader List.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:17 pm

Cat wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:05 pm
Another question on leases: Will they automatically renew or terminate? I've got a sweet deal on my 737-800 going and would like to keep it "forever". LOL I can lease this airplane for 8.6 years for the cost of one used one on the Trader List.
No we don't have any auto renew features for leases, maximum time is 180 days.