User and Password Management

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Should FSAirlines drop username and just use email address as a login.

Poll ended at Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:54 am

Yes - Email address is better.
28%
No - I much prefer to use a username
53%
Maybe - I really don't care one way or the other.
19%

Total votes: 32

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

User and Password Management

Post by joefremont » Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:54 am

Hi Fliers

I have started working on some updates to the user account management. which will include improved password security, revised password reset functions. But one of the thing most modern websites use is to just using the email address as an identifier rather than an username, so I was wondering if anyone has a strong opinion on this, Personally I think email is probably better as you have one less thing to remember although I will probably set it up so if you enter the username instead of your email address it will still work, but new users will not be asked to create a username.

We will require more complex passwords, I am not going to go to crazy just upper, lower case and numbers with a length of 8, no symbols required.

Right now when you select 'reset' password, it resets your password to something random then sends it to you and I am going to change it to something that instead sends you a reset link where you can then reset it, so if you happen to remember after pushing reset it will still work, plus if you push reset several times it will send you the same link so any email will work.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Zissiz Zekapten
Ticket Agent

Re: User and Password Management

Post by Zissiz Zekapten » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:47 pm

Email only if we can change it.

PSG753
Rampie

Post by PSG753 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:48 pm

NO

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:27 am

Zissiz Zekapten wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:47 pm
Email only if we can change it.
Yes, of course you will be able to change it, but of course email will need to be globally unique. Right now its not perfect but I am working on making that more robust.

Right now I am leaning toward making email primary, but existing users will continue to be able to sign in using there username, as long as that username does not look like an email (i.e contain an @ character). But no firm decision has been made.

fackprod
Ticket Agent

Post by fackprod » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:17 am

User name perhaps easier to identify with. Contribution from a wide audience is to be encouraged. It follows though that people have different levels of experience. I would tend to follow user names i recognise. Email names are not as friendly. But my twopence worth only.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:39 pm

One of the things that is pushing me to make this change is that I can't tell you how many times I have been asked for help by people who have forgotten both there username and password, but remember the email. Usually they are asked through a friend or they create a new account so they can submit a support request. By using email as a login it would simplify support a bit.

ADAM-007
Flight Attendant

Post by ADAM-007 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:47 pm

I support the move to e-mail.

As we both know my username is from a young teenage version of myself and I hate it and can't change it.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:05 am

ADAM-007 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:47 pm
I support the move to e-mail.

As we both know my username is from a young teenage version of myself and I hate it and can't change it.
Its a good thing only you and I can see it then, I won't say what it is but at least teenage Adam did not think up something rude :D

Latitude24
Ticket Agent

Post by Latitude24 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:50 am

I'm all for the move to just email.

CaseyRyback53
Rampie

Post by CaseyRyback53 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:21 am

Yes - Email address is better.

sturman
Ticket Agent

Post by sturman » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:23 am

An email account can become unexpectedly inaccessible, sometimes permanently. email as a means of regaining access should be easily modifiable.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:41 pm

Its pretty clear that keeping the username is popular, so I am not going to remove it, but think we need to go more email forward. So what I am going to do is that you can log in with either your username or email. I am going to require that the username be at least 6 chars long and not contain any spaces or '@' character so I can tell them apart from the email and you will be able to go into profile settings page and change your username.

New users will not be asked for a username and will be assigned a random username that starts with 'user_', they will of course be able to change it in there settings page.

you
Rampie

Post by you » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:38 pm

Hello, I've been wanting to change my username for years despite being the president and owner of my company youJetAirlies, there is no way, I hope that this problem will be corrected shortly