Packages system

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

johnrichards1991
Ticket Agent

Packages system

Post by johnrichards1991 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:20 am

has the packages system been finished or is there still a sort of road map of what is still planned?

I have now limited all my a/c to 0kg cargo so the only payload other than pax/bag is packages.

The time limit is a good idea, although when you only fly alone it can be tricky. when it comes to long routes though I believe this is an impossible act. when i order something from china in the real world to europe it takes up to 30 days with airfreight. perhaps a few extra days could be of use on long distance? EG for Priority

Day 1 LBC > HAM
day 2 HAM > FRA
Day 3 FRA > DXB
Day 4 DXB > PVG
day 5 PVG > PEK
day 6 PEK > TVS

Maybe even in 5 days but not on a sim, even more so if you are alone :)

Maybe after the Deadline where you get 100% for not delivering schould be an instant 50% fee on top of the earning instead of a deduction and after 5 hours (prio) oe feeling days( not prio) the fee is up to 90% for instance.. the package still has to be delivered as no Real cargo just disapeares. Cool would be a random request from the costomer to have the package requested back free of Charge after a Set time of not delivering, meaning you have dead Load back to where the package was created and no income. Leaving it in storage will Cost if not own cargo Center ans fines will be issued by law enforcment in Regular Basis if not delivered to destination or back to Customer. So if just left in cargo center as there is no income, you could find yourself loosing money and depending on how long, declare bankruptcy in worsed scenario after a long time.

Is there any way to downsize cargo? say you load a 2000kg PAL on a b747 that has to fly from JFK to FRA and your routing is JFK to LHR, the PAL would be unloaded in LHR and the cargo guys would then split it to passenger services flying ( eg A320) LHR > FRA. of course if the cargo piece alone has 1950KG then it could not be splitted but that is not so common unless on a freighter service.

maybe a tick on the end flight next to the deliver packages to send rest to a cargo center.
or, and i belive this is more realisic maybe, a tick to leave the none delivered cargo on the aircraft. that way the cargo would always go to a cargo center if the ac is not planned to go strait back out with the rest of the cargo. that way, the cargo centers would be used more often and be forced to use other VA/FSairlines cargo centers, giving them more meaning as the inbound cargo would be offloaded and not sit around in the ac parked.

this seems too complex but just as an idea, it would be great if you could plan the routes of the A/C, a schedule. that way you could already book the freight to be loaded for the flights ahead and the pilots fly those routes, saving you loading cargo to an ac and the pilot then booking a flight to somewhere different. that way you could already book the cargo in advance that would go to a cargo center in storage until the ac is to leave that airport.

The planned cargo could be locked in the cargo center until the flight is active on the client, costing more for the storage (if not own cargo center) of booked cargo until the flight actually loads up in the sim.

maybe block Engineering hangars from performing checks when cargo is stored, blocking the parking for the aircraft / work of the technicians.

Perhaps no AC can leave without the cost of a Ramp agent from a VA office, if no own va office is there, adding a use of own / other airline's VA office.

are they any good?

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Re: Packages system

Post by joefremont » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:29 pm

There is a truism in software that no program is ever really finished, its only really 'finished' when nobody is using it anymore.

As for the package system it is pretty much stable, although there is a new system for releasing packages early that I have been working on and is on beta.fsairlines.net for testing. The basic idea behind that is at every airport there is a shipping agent, where someone goes to when they want to send a package, the agent charges the customer and when an aircraft is flying to that destination they pickup the package, the agent takes there cut and the airline keeps the rest. If the airline decides latter they have gone far enough they can go to the agent at the new airport and do the same thing.

Example:

Customer walks into the shipping agent at San Francisco/KSFO and wants to send a 200kg package to New York/KJFK;
Typical revenue would be 900 so the agent charges them 1200$ and give the airline 900$ to send it.
The airline then flies to Chicago/KORD and decides they cant go any farther, they then go to the local shipping agent to send the package forward. A typical revenue from KORD to KJFK would be 420$ but the agent needs there cut so they charge 560$. Net result is the airline would keep 340$ (37%) vs the 900$ they would get if they went all the way. Obviously the closer you get to your destination the larger your profit. Different example, KSFO to Paris/LFPG would be 1800$ but if you from Manchester/EGCC to Paris might be 300$ but with agent markup would be 400$ so 1800$ - 400$ would be 1400$ (78%).

As for the other fees the question is what do they add to the system. An example of some of the things we have added over the years to make things more realistic are:

Parking Fees: Higher prices at bigger airports: to discourage parking your large fleet at busy airports.
Required maintenance/automatic repair reductions if not moved: To remind you that large fleet you have that is sitting idle is costing you money.
Maintenance centers/offices: Make an investment and incur a recurring cost and you can save some money, provided you do it wisely otherwise you may loose money.

At the same time there are those who just want to fly without all the overhead, and I would not want to put too many obstacles in there way.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

cajunjosh
Ticket Agent

Post by cajunjosh » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:12 pm

Morning Joe,

Has the system of delivering cargo part way to it's destination been moved from beta to main yet?

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:41 pm

Yes, it’s been released.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.