Book flight page redesign

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

zenomat
Rampie

Book flight page redesign

Post by zenomat » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:27 am

I'm not really flying very often, and every time I come into this site, it takes me long frustrating minutes to find things.
Like "Book flight page" - here are some small changes which could make the user experience better:

- To: field - and then a long list of airports through which I have to scroll to find the airport I'm looking for.
Would be so much easier to have 2 search boxes - ICAO and Airport name - enter ICAO -> find airport.
Something similar like here:
http://www.andrasmeridian.com/v2/Destin ... rports.php

- the checkmark on the right side for booking flight? That has to be a joke. Took me 10 minutes for looking around to realize that is the "book flight" option. There could a button, a link, an icon showing an airplane. Anything could be more suggestive than a check box.

- clicking on an airport opens another page with tons of info but the map is not working, still have no Book flight button ...

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Re: Book flight page redesign

Post by joefremont » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:11 pm

Not certain I want to spend the time making a map, there is a dropdown with airport name and aircraft type. Your VA does have a lot of routes, over 20,000 which some might think is excessive.

In the airport package summary page I added a filter by direction (north, northwest, west, southwest,,,,) would that be useful?

Your criticism of the checkmark is valid though. Changing it to an airplane image would be easy. It might be more intuitive to have a radio button with a 'submit' but that would be an extra click.

What do others think?
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:06 pm

In all open honesty, we rarely use our flight routes to book flights. We just type in the destination in Charter Flights and go. But then we are a small carrier now doing more charter work like NFL team charters and such. The whole route system thing is just so complicated to design then book, blah blah blah .... it's easier just to click Charter Flight, type in the airport destination code and go to packages page from there.
I really see no reason for any VA to have a gazillion flight routes they will never fly, but that's just me.

[edited]
Having said all that: What if the "book flight" page was like the Charter Flight page? You type in your destination and aircraft registration and it will give you the route (if any) to that destination for the aircraft selected.

CRGaming
Ticket Agent

Post by CRGaming » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:08 pm

There are a few things that could change to make it easier. I'd like to be able to only see airplanes from the selected fleet when booking a flight, At some airports like hubs we have way to many aircraft to scroll through. It would be nice to only see air craft from the fleet i want to fly. (by default set to all) Also on the create route section, I'd like to be able to search for routes that are just my fleet. With the main airline routes being "any fleet" I cant just see the fleet routes from mine. If there was a way to list only the routes that are "only" the fleet i select it would be helpful. Same on the book flight page. Maybe changing the the plane type drop down to selecting the actual plane (not just the type, but actual plane) first would help with booking since it would show less routes. OR if I select "concord" in the plane type and select a flight, only show me Concordes on the screen where I select plane. That way i only see the equipment type i selected on the first screen.

Just some idea. Overall the software and webpage are great the way they are. Optimizing it is hard since different airlines run their fleets differently.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:22 pm

I have made two changes when booking aircraft.

First on the select flight page the link, instead of a checkmark is an airplane icon that looks more like a button, no change in the function.
Second on the page you select aircraft, if there are aircraft from more than one fleet a dropdown will appear that will allow you to filter the aircraft by fleet.

Both these changes are very light weight and should not change the way people use the page.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

CRGaming
Ticket Agent

Post by CRGaming » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:03 pm

joefremont wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:22 pm
if there are aircraft from more than one fleet a dropdown will appear that will allow you to filter the aircraft by fleet.
Awesome!!! thanks

ADAM-007
Flight Attendant

Post by ADAM-007 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:47 am

Nice idea that, I like being anle to select aircraft via a fleet.