More lights!

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

JJacobs

More lights!

Post by JJacobs » Thu May 18, 2006 3:43 pm

ok Konny I'vetalked to you about this

Strobe on after 10 seconds positive rate of climb
Beacon ALWAYS on during taxi and take off 1000 FT AGL
Nav Lights ALWAYS on
Reversers off after 60 Knots indicated
more maintnance needed if you use brakes at high speeds

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Thu May 18, 2006 3:50 pm

No strobe rule. No debate about it either. Not all aircraft are equipped with strobes and there's one rule that kills any ability to make a program know whether it's appropriate to have them on or not - CLOUDS. International rules allow the crew to turn off the strobes while in clouds at night to prevent loss of night vision.

Reversers - problem here is that the rules on use of reversers is different depending on aircraft, and to put a rule in that is based on speed also prevents using the reversers for a powerback procedure at airports where it is used in real life by aircraft like the DC-9, MD-80, and 727.

Brakes can be used at any speed without undue wear as long as they aren't used heavily repeatedly.

Beacons should be on at all times when there is at least one engine running. They should never be off from the time you begin pushback or engine start to the point you park and have shutdown all engines.

JJacobs

Post by JJacobs » Thu May 18, 2006 3:53 pm

ok how about safe landing in svere weather conditions

Matthew
Captain

Re: More lights!

Post by Matthew » Thu May 18, 2006 4:09 pm

JJacobs wrote:ok Konny I'vetalked to you about this

Strobe on after 10 seconds positive rate of climb
Beacon ALWAYS on during taxi and take off 1000 FT AGL
Nav Lights ALWAYS on
Reversers off after 60 Knots indicated
more maintnance needed if you use brakes at high speeds
Strobe lights have to be turned on, when entering the main runway, and turned off when exiting the runway.

Beacon lights must be turned on whist the engines are active.

Thats the rules in the real world

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Thu May 18, 2006 9:41 pm

Matthew wrote:Strobe lights have to be turned on, when entering the main runway, and turned off when exiting the runway.
Sorry, but this is not correct. Please see my first post.

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Fri May 19, 2006 2:35 am

CAPFlyer wrote:
Matthew wrote:Strobe lights have to be turned on, when entering the main runway, and turned off when exiting the runway.
Sorry, but this is not correct. Please see my first post.
Rules are different at some airports. Matt works at one, so I'm going to say that he probably knows what hes talking about when it comes to his airport.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri May 19, 2006 3:16 pm

Strobe lights are not a "by airport" issue. Strobe lights on the airplanes are a FAR/CAR/whatever your country calls the aircraft rulebook issue.

Per the FARs (which is about 95% the same as international regs on this issue) -

14 CFR 91.209
No person may:

(b) Operate an aircraft that is equipped with an anticollision light system, unless it has lighted anticollision lights. However, the anticollision lights need not be lighted when the pilot-in-command determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to turn the lights off.
Thus, any pilot operating an aircraft does NOT have to use the anticollision light system if it's unsafe to do so.

JJacobs

Post by JJacobs » Sat May 20, 2006 2:18 am

yeah but in simulator there is NO unsafe operating conditions i.e. chance of losing night vision

also an ability to detect intense weather conditions i.e. lightning sotrms detected via altimiter/METAR

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat May 20, 2006 3:19 am

JJacobs wrote:yeah but in simulator there is NO unsafe operating conditions i.e. chance of losing night vision
Actually, there are. When I fly at night (and it's night outside) I fly with the lights off. It definitely improves my ability to see in the simulator, especially when using realistic aircraft that have proper lighting for the panel. While FS2004 doesn't do the in-sim strobe flash like it did in FS98 (and I think it did in 2000 as well, but can't remember) it did hurt my eyes on more than one occasion.

As well, I still fly using the real-world procedures anyway for one reason - good habits in the sim helps re-enforce good habits in real life. Why should I have to operate my aircraft in the sim different than I would in real life just because someone wants another rule for a penalty?

Wingtip white strobes aren't required to be installed on all aircraft, only some form of an anticollision light (which means that the red flashing beacon or rotating beacon is sufficient) and that it must be operable. Thus, again, if I have an aircraft that DOESN'T HAVE a white strobe light, how does FlyNET determine that it doesn't exist on that plane and then not penalize me? If my aircraft is equipped with strobes and I choose to turn them off because I'm in a situation where I'd not have them on in real life, why should I be penalized?