Suspend on Crash

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Suspend on Crash

Post by joefremont » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:50 pm

I just finished fixing a VA where one or maybe two pilots proceeded to fly 22 flights where they took off and very quickly 'crashed' into the ground, but it was not recorded as a crash because they had turned off crash detection in there sim but they were all around 10,000 fmp descent all which were recorded as a wrong airport. The two pilots who I suspect are the same person each did there 'flights' and then quit the airline and deleted there accounts.

So my idea is two fold:

First for any flight where the descent speed is more than 2000-3000 fpm it should be recorded as a crash by the client,

Second for any pilot that crashes and is not the VA president or has manage pilots permission they would be blocked from booking any flights for 24 hours, to give 'regulators' time to review the flight.

I though about doing it on the second crash but by then the VA's reputation is seriously trashed. There is a 'Ground on crash' field in the ranks but for most ranks in the database that value is off. In the example above 'Ground on crash' was not active and would not have helped.

One though that did occur to me is to make 'ground on crash' on by default and make airlines turn it off.

What does everyone think?
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Re: Suspend on Crash

Post by Cat » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:01 am

Yes Please!!

This is not the first instance where disgruntled gamers have tried to ruin a VA. For those who can't build anything of value on their own, they turn to destruction of others' work.

This intentional remotely piloted airliner crash was at -1500 fpm so anyone who thinks landing that hard is acceptable is truly living in fantasyland.
https://youtu.be/B_fNxVyZCDo

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:09 am

Cat wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:01 am
Yes Please!!

This is not the first instance where disgruntled gamers have tried to ruin a VA. For those who can't build anything of value on their own, they turn to destruction of others' work.

This intentional remotely piloted airliner crash was at -1500 fpm so anyone who thinks landing that hard is acceptable is truly living in fantasyland.
https://youtu.be/B_fNxVyZCDo
More detail on that crash.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Boei ... experiment

stigooo
Ticket Agent

Post by stigooo » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:55 am

hey joe

Are we talking full descent from top of descent or just runway touchdown value?
If it affects the whole descent, then there will be more crashes for me. Sometimes I "forget" to enter the VS value and then I'm at about -3400 in the first moment until I have entered the correct value.

But maybe I misunderstand what you mean. My English is a bit rusty.

Greetings
stigooo (Marc Steiger)

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:54 pm

It would be the runway touchdown value. I think the updates for client 2.5.2 will probably be focused on improving vertical speed, there have been more than a few complaints about it, mostly pilots complain that the hard landing penalty was unfair, but I also think it may be a good idea to check the speed when a crash is detected, if the aircraft had landed and the speed less than 25 knots maybe it can be recorded as something less than a crash.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:03 pm

In a vertical "lawn dart" crash, the actual ground speed is quite small while the indicated airspeed is often way past redline, so you might need an indicated airspeed crosscheck. If the client could somehow override annoying sim "crash" detection when taxiing, I think that would help out a lot too. I hear a lot of complaints about FS2020 hitting "bumps" and causing a crash detection trigger long after touchdown while moving to the parking area.

BUT - here is the double edge to the sword: If a pilot is flying with crash detection turned on in their sim and it reads a "crash", then the client will follow that lead. FSA cannot do anything about a sim resetting after a crash detection, but if on the ground and moving at less than 25kts GS, perhaps it can defeat those annoying invisible object crashes by simply filing the PIREP as if the pilot clicked END FLIGHT? Then comes the question: OK how to determine the difference between an invisible ground bump crash detection on taxi OUT for takeoff vs taxi IN after landing? There would have to be some "if/then" parameters set up.

If a pilot is flying with crash detection turned off, then they can land at vertical rates that would break the airplane badly and still get landings in FSA. Even though they would be considered "hard landings", currently they are not always getting cataloged as they should with a crash in FSA. If you are hitting the runway any harder than say -1600 fpm, you are probably not going to walk out of that broken mess without needing some medical attention, if you can walk out of it at all. The airplane for sure would be a "write off" in the real world, something FSA does not currently have. We can always put our Humpty Dumpty back together again. But then we don't have insurance policies to cover those astronomical replacement costs in the event of a crash either. At the rate the average virtual pilot crashes, no insurance underwriter would issue them a policy! :lol: :lol:

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:20 pm

Cat wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:03 pm
In a vertical "lawn dart" crash, the actual ground speed is quite small while the indicated airspeed is often way past redline, so you might need an indicated airspeed crosscheck. If the client could somehow override annoying sim "crash" detection when taxiing, I think that would help out a lot too. I hear a lot of complaints about FS2020 hitting "bumps" and causing a crash detection trigger long after touchdown while moving to the parking area.
My idea is that this 'less than crash' would only be applicable before takeoff or after landing and only if the ground speed is less than 25 knots, if someone lawn dart's there airplane then they have not landed yet and it would be considered a regular crash. Not sure what to call this 'less than a crash' state as there should be some record of it, can't think of anything better than 'ground collision' right now.