Alternative Autosave idea

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Alternative Autosave idea

Post by joefremont » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:22 pm

Hi Flyers,

I was thinking of a different way to do autosave that does not impact the performance of the sim as much as the current system. Currently the system sends a message to the sim to save its current flight and at the same time saves its own data as to the current state of the flight. When you have to reload, the client loads its data, you load the saved flight in the sim, the client compares and if the data matches your good if not it won't accept. The problem is that many pilots complain about the sim freezing when the flight is being saved and it only works in P3D/FSX and not in MSFS or X-Plane.

So my idea is to give an option to just have the client save its data and not have the sim save the flight. Then when you want to restart the client can show the information it really cares about which is the aircraft's position in latitude, longitude, altitude and the amount of fuel in the aircraft, the pilot can then go and manually set those values in the sim and if they match the flight can continue.

On problem is that I was playing with MSFS last night and could not figure out how to manually set aircrafts coordinates.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

ADAM-007
Ticket Agent

Re: Alternative Autosave idea

Post by ADAM-007 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:29 am

This would be a fantastic way to restore flights without the constant sim freezing.

Could you make where the client logs a 'pending restore' above 'fly' or something like that. Then once you move onto the next page the client will give you all the details for the flight restore such as LAT/LON ALT SPD HDG and FUEL this way the pilot can match these up in P3D/FSX/X-Plane. Once the pilot feels they've got the details entered correctly they can press 'Restore' the client will check that all the data from the sim matches what the client logged at the time of the crash and restart the flight. The pilot can then un-pause and carry on.

Not that sure about MSFS as I actively avoid using it. (Well until PMDG get their modern aircraft on it)

bbugday
Ticket Agent

Post by bbugday » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:34 am

Another problem besides the performance issues is regarding the aerosoft airbusses.
Several times I notcied that the autosave would not be accepted by the client and the flight would get cancelled due to fuel diffrences.

When I restart a flight from where I left off the aerosoft airbus tends to start the flight with a default fuel and the client cannot override that.

The performance issue I witness is mainly with the PMDG aircraft. The sim tends to freeze everytime a save takes place when flying pmdg aircraft.
When restarting the fsa autosave flight the client shoud be able to override the fuel on the aircraft so that it can continue with the fuel value where the sim crashed.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:48 pm

I have avoided trying to set values in the aircraft when restoring an autosave, I worry about throwing the aircraft out of balance. So I figured if I can have the sim save everything, or have the pilot take responsibility for setting things, otherwise I will get the blame when it all goes wrong.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.