Alternative Autosave idea

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Alternative Autosave idea

Post by joefremont » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:22 pm

Hi Flyers,

I was thinking of a different way to do autosave that does not impact the performance of the sim as much as the current system. Currently the system sends a message to the sim to save its current flight and at the same time saves its own data as to the current state of the flight. When you have to reload, the client loads its data, you load the saved flight in the sim, the client compares and if the data matches your good if not it won't accept. The problem is that many pilots complain about the sim freezing when the flight is being saved and it only works in P3D/FSX and not in MSFS or X-Plane.

So my idea is to give an option to just have the client save its data and not have the sim save the flight. Then when you want to restart the client can show the information it really cares about which is the aircraft's position in latitude, longitude, altitude and the amount of fuel in the aircraft, the pilot can then go and manually set those values in the sim and if they match the flight can continue.

On problem is that I was playing with MSFS last night and could not figure out how to manually set aircrafts coordinates.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

ADAM-007
Flight Attendant

Re: Alternative Autosave idea

Post by ADAM-007 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:29 am

This would be a fantastic way to restore flights without the constant sim freezing.

Could you make where the client logs a 'pending restore' above 'fly' or something like that. Then once you move onto the next page the client will give you all the details for the flight restore such as LAT/LON ALT SPD HDG and FUEL this way the pilot can match these up in P3D/FSX/X-Plane. Once the pilot feels they've got the details entered correctly they can press 'Restore' the client will check that all the data from the sim matches what the client logged at the time of the crash and restart the flight. The pilot can then un-pause and carry on.

Not that sure about MSFS as I actively avoid using it. (Well until PMDG get their modern aircraft on it)

bbugday
Ticket Agent

Post by bbugday » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:34 am

Another problem besides the performance issues is regarding the aerosoft airbusses.
Several times I notcied that the autosave would not be accepted by the client and the flight would get cancelled due to fuel diffrences.

When I restart a flight from where I left off the aerosoft airbus tends to start the flight with a default fuel and the client cannot override that.

The performance issue I witness is mainly with the PMDG aircraft. The sim tends to freeze everytime a save takes place when flying pmdg aircraft.
When restarting the fsa autosave flight the client shoud be able to override the fuel on the aircraft so that it can continue with the fuel value where the sim crashed.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:48 pm

I have avoided trying to set values in the aircraft when restoring an autosave, I worry about throwing the aircraft out of balance. So I figured if I can have the sim save everything, or have the pilot take responsibility for setting things, otherwise I will get the blame when it all goes wrong.

bbugday
Ticket Agent

Post by bbugday » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:27 am

The fuel problem is still a major issue when flying the aerosoft busses. I'm not sure if its also an issue with fslabs.
I just had a crash the other day and nothing I did was able to bring back the fuel remaining amount when my flight crashed.
It was supposed to be 3.2 Tons but it started from the autosave with 8 tons. Of course the client did not accept the restart of the flight and I had to cancel it.

When we witness situations like this lately, our requests for the flights to be manually completed by the admins is rejected saying the limit is finished.

While the problems that still remain regarding the autosave issue are not solved, the rejection of these requests will eventually cause customer satisfaction problems and it is likely people will move away to other acars providers.

Untill a permanent solution is found the support for manually finishing flights need to continue

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:53 am

The idea in this change was that with the new client it is showing you want it is expecting, and you should be able to adjust the settings in your sim to match that, were you not able to do that/

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:13 am

I think what burns me about this is that its not my fault if your sim crashes. I started creating flights for some pilots when they experience a crash, as a favor, but there are those who were rude about it, implying its my fault there sim crashed and my responsibility to fix it and recreate there flight so they can get there stats, some who have used this favor dozens of times. So I felt, just as there is a limit how many times we will delete a flight when they crash there airplane, there needs to be a limit as to how many times we will re-create a flight.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:47 pm

I think I have had a sim crash maybe once every 250 flights or more and I still use the old "buggy" FSX-Steam edition. I have learned its limitations over the years and I (for the most part) stay within those limitations. Flight simming has always been a "choose your battle" where one has to balance computer performance against desired visual effects. Pushing the system past its limits, aka, demanding more than your processor can deliver, will cause issues. It's been a known fact since the dawn of time.

It most certainly is NOT the fault of FSAirlines if users choose the "latest and greatest technology" which, made by Microsoft, will undoubtedly have issues years after release as they let their paying customers be their testers and then may or may not fix bugs as they appear.

The sim will crash in their specific situation regardless of any connection to FSAirlines, it is not the FSAirlines client that makes it crash, so people should stop assuming that as a fact. If users wish to fly a new format such as FS2020; which is known to have bugs, crashes and problems, then they must also accept the risk of losing flight data, it's that simple.

End of my opinion on the matter
[jumping off my soapbox]

bbugday
Ticket Agent

Post by bbugday » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:16 am

joefremont wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:13 am
I think what burns me about this is that its not my fault if your sim crashes. I started creating flights for some pilots when they experience a crash, as a favor, but there are those who were rude about it, implying its my fault there sim crashed and my responsibility to fix it and recreate there flight so they can get there stats, some who have used this favor dozens of times. So I felt, just as there is a limit how many times we will delete a flight when they crash there airplane, there needs to be a limit as to how many times we will re-create a flight.
The sim crash is ofcourse not FSAIRLINES fault but there are plenty of acars systems out there that let you start off where you left off.
They dont cancel the flight if the fuel is incorrect but leave that option to the va staff. IF they believe there is a cheat the va staff can cancel the flight.
Something similiar can be implemented here maybe. FSA can resume the flight even if the fuel value is incorrect. It can reduce pilot reputation maybe or deduct 10-15 points from the flight due to fuel. It will be even better if it can override the fuel value on the sim.

The problem regarding autosave freezes was solved a while back so I am sure the admins will be able to solve the remaining issues especially regarding incorrect fuel values but untill then some kind of support needs to be provided so people dont move away from FSA.

I enjoy flying using FSA alot and have convinced most of my pilots to do so. There are still a minortiy that do not use FSA and remain on the other acars system our VA uses. I wouldn't want to see them move back to the other acars system because of issues regarding autosave.

haal
Ticket Agent

Post by haal » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:00 pm

Hello everyone and especially Joe Fremont.
The theme of autosave FSA, is a very important issue for those pilots who make long tours and is a matter that must be solved.
Particularly at our airline VIASA we are very happy with the Airline administrator because there are worried people to solve and every day improve it and, in that particular, our pilots are very happy to be users of this ACARS FSA, and it is very difficult for us to send for another side.
Joe's Idea is magnificent and will have to be implemented as soon as possible to avoid the prolonged use of our exhausting PCs and time in the simulation, it will be our responsibility and from the VA's, to match the parameters that the client keep, but; For something you have always to start to find the solution.
Technically I will not contribute a lot, yes; Give them an incentive to continue working and appreciating - that for us it is the best Airline administrator that exists - to achieve together that remains number one.
Joe, he continues to conclude the iedea that is excellent so that soon we have the best "autosave FSA"
Thank you so much...

Cap.Hebert Augusto Africano Linares
CEO Viasa Virtual Airlines

Jdebarr
Ticket Agent

Post by Jdebarr » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:50 pm

If you look at my logs you will see I lost 3 flights recently. including one this morning.. MYNN to KLAX.

Crashed to desktop as soon as I passed T/D and started my descent. I know it isnt FSairlines, Windows 10 or 11, or registered FSUIPC. as I spent all saturday reinstalling my o/s , flight sim 2020 and JUST the fly by wire A20n dev version.. got a lot of flights until my one long one today. 5 hous into a 5.5 hour flight.. flight sim just disappeared.. ugh.. I was so mad.. esp since it was running so well.

I had a talk with the head of the VA I am in He was talking about you in quite a glowing light. That is why I signed up for the forums to poke my head in.

Auto-save for MSFS would be awesome. We had that functionality in our acars at Delta virtual where I was for 15 years before I came here.

Not a programmer though. Im a network guy.

I would appreciate the autosave. I turned it on in the beta client only to read that it is not supported for MSFS