Automated Pilots

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Automated Pilots

Post by joefremont » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:32 pm

A problem many of our VA's face is not enough pilots to fly all there aircraft, so I had an idea that I though I would share and see if there is any interest. The idea is basically that airlines would be able to hire automated pilots that could fly aircraft for them without having to have an actual human to do it. Here are some of the details.

- For each platinum account a VA could hire 10 automated pilots and for each gold 2 automated pilots.
- A VA could create a 'schedule' of connected routes and then assign an aircraft and pilot to that schedule.
- The automated pilot would then wait until the next scheduled start time/day of the first route in the schedule and then fly the flight.
- The flights would be flown at 1x speed (no bonus) at a lower multiplier than what the VA uses and probably not more than 10x.
- If the schedule starts and ends at the same airport it could be set to repeat.
- To make sure we don't overwork our Automatons, automated pilot would not be allowed to fly more than 12 hours in a 24 hour period and the automated pilots would not fly if the repair status of the aircraft was below 96%.
- There could be some restriction on assets/flights before you could hire pilots or maybe a minimum ratio of human flights to automated flights.

In this case we would finally be using the schedule time/days on the flight plan, we of course would assume the times were all UTC.

Would this be of any interest to anyone?

MrJTSZ
Ticket Agent

Re: Automated Pilots

Post by MrJTSZ » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:53 pm

This is a really interesting idea!!!
In case this idea continue... those pilot could fly all the airplanes of the fleet? Or only a specific fleet?
Personally I like this idea

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:15 pm

MrJTSZ wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:53 pm
This is a really interesting idea!!!
In case this idea continue... those pilot could fly all the airplanes of the fleet? Or only a specific fleet?
Personally I like this idea
I had not though about fleets, I assumed they would not need type ratings but if they were assigned 'ranks', ranks can restrict the aircraft you can fly by fleet. We would need some way of saying a specific automaton belongs to a fleet and who is allowed to give them assignments.

Cat
Captain

Post by Cat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:05 pm

At the risk of popping your 'happy balloon' on this idea, you would have to keep the autobot pilots out of the new cargo system or they will milk it dry leaving us hard working humans looking for work. :shock:

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:33 pm

Cat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:05 pm
At the risk of popping your 'happy balloon' on this idea, you would have to keep the autobot pilots out of the new cargo system or they will milk it dry leaving us hard working humans looking for work. :shock:
This is true, the automatons would not be allowed to handle packages, and there flights would not be included in the statistics.

Stan
Chief Pilot

Post by Stan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:19 pm

This is something i thought about years ago.I came to the conclusion that if a 1 man VA couldn,t get any new pilots to join his airline then all he need do is download the AI traffic for the airline he is simulating then he has got the full fleet working all the time without altering the stats.
Stan
Yours Stan