For you LEGO lovers ---read even if you dont like legos---

Chat about anything here

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

For you LEGO lovers ---read even if you dont like legos---

Post by flightsimer » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:12 am

you can skip down past this and the gap i put in if you dont want to read this story below.

As a kid i always loved legos and there was hardly a birthday or Christmas where i never got a kit. I didnt do the small kits, i liked the big ones. The ones that where over 1000 pieces and were for the highest skill level required. Every summer i would stay with my grand parents who were my neighbors. I dont know why, but that was just my "tradition"... school would get out and i would live at my house during the day (playing, working,etc) but at night i would go up to grandma's and if they had a fire going on the patio sit out there then go in with them and work on my legos until they went to bed, or sometimes i would stay up a little later and them spend the night then leave in the morning. I normally would build my new kits or take apart and rebuild my old ones that might have been falling apart or sometimes just take them apart just to rebuild them. It normally took me about a week to complete them. I would guess that i worked on them from 8-9ish PM to at the latest 2Am (though as i got older i would go further into the night to get to meet my goal i had set for that night).

Well i got out of school two days ago and im already a little bored. For some reason i thought about legos tonight and went to the site to see if they still made/sold the same type of kits. i couldnt remember the brand legos sold them as, i think they marketed them as something special, but i did find a program you could download for free and design your own. So..... as you can see where this is going... i did. I fooled around made a tractor trailer tractor (didnt get the trailer yet). i wasnt really that happy with it and was about to quit but i figured i would try another. They have bases that you can start from (i did that for the semi) and i decided i would see what i could do with the airplane one. Well i started out with a specific plane in mind, but i was having trouble getting the shape right with the pieces available. i was about to scrap it and close down the program, but then i realised it shaped was very close to another smaller plane. I also realised that i could finish it as this other plane and make it look almost exactly as the real one. so i did and this is what i got:

END OF STORY

there are a five things that i just couldnt get to look right or do because of the size of the plane and the parts available. If i would build this it wouldnt be really big, and maybe might be around 200 pieces. i might try to build this bigger which if i would, i might actually be able to get it all right.

things that are wrong:
1) nose- it doesnt look right
2) missing one window on each side
3) nose gear is dual when in RW its only a single wheel/ also missing taxi light which i had one but looked so wierd i took it off
4) missing stablizers on the tail. i might be able to put them on if i increase the size considerably. that size would be a giant on though.
5) engine and back of wing- i made the engine like the saab's for some reason and made them go past the edge of the wing. I tried to fix it by making the wing a little wider in the back. though i was very pleased with the way the engines came out

well here are the picks... can you guess what it is? it should be easy...
an "in flight" pic
underside

Overall i was very pleased with how this came out. i think next i will try to make a 737...

the program can be downloaded here if you want to try: http://ldd.lego.com/download/
also you can upload the plan you made and order it from legos and then build it. i havent decided if i will for this or not...
also, i can send this plane to you if you would like to buy it from legos...

Kits i had: Sea king Rescue Helicopter (over 1000 pieces), 3ft Aircraft Carrier (over 1500 pieces), Sea Wold Sub (over 2000 pieces), F-18 Blue Angles (over 1000 pieces), Atlantis Space Shuttle (over 2000 pieces) and a battleship (which was over 1000 pieces). My first one i think was the F-18, then the heli, carrier, battleship, sub and i think my last was the shuttle. i dont remember the exact number of pieces so the numbers above were the least amount they had. i also now remember that i had a few smaller star wars craft.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

lexarne
Captain

Re: For you LEGO lovers ---read even if you dont like legos---

Post by lexarne » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:31 am

That is very inpressive sort of looks like a...jetstream 41...

hezza
Captain

Post by hezza » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:12 pm

I go with a Beech 1900 airliner.
Probably a D model from the depth of the fuselage. ;)

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:29 pm

hezza wrote:I go with a Beech 1900 airliner.
Probably a D model from the depth of the fuselage. ;)
CORRECT! lol

im already started on my second model and its a big one. im guessing it will have over 1000 pieces...
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:40 am

well i was going to wait until i finished it to post this, but i guess ill give a preview...

you should be able to tell the airline at least... its a 737-800 or at least suppost to be.

im thinking about narrowing the fuselage a 2 blocks so it looks oval height wise and not width. i dont know how that happened. probably because the bottom isnt round but uses flat panels. but to do that, if you look at the second post, ill just remove a ring around the fuselage.

so far ive put in about 6 hours altogether on this one. i would guess as it is now, it has about 500-750 pieces in it. the fuselage is actually hollow. it features a cockpit, which will have 2 pilots, windows that have screens down if you look closely.

the think im most pleased about was how the nose section came out. from the windows forward to the tip and down it is completely solid. but i think i was able to get the shape almost perfect for the nose, at least at a direct side view.

any comments on it?
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

alasizon
FSAirlines DB and Wiki Admin

Post by alasizon » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:02 am

That must be.... Aer Lingus. ;)

Yes, I do know that it is AA
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin