What is FlyNet for you?

Chat about anything here

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Ionathan
Captain

What is FlyNet for you?

Post by Ionathan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:53 pm

I've been in FlyNet for almost two years now. I have found and lost friends, I have been involved into "wars" and made peace again, I have had good times and bad times. I have found satisfaction and dissapointment. In other words... a lot of feelings and situations, quite expected in a growing community.
But, what means FlyNet for each of us?
Is it just a game, an alter life, an escape door from a depressive life, a place where we can simulate what we would like to be (or a part of it)? How do we feel when simulation reaches its limits? Do we chase realism because we wish this place (and roles) was true or do we try to keep it light because our day-to-day routine is already heavy? Is it about flying procedures or freedom? Are procedures a survival kit because we cannot stand freedom? Is freedom strong and free enough to survive within procedures? Are we in favor of procedure when we feel our freedom is strong? Do we hate procedures when our freedom is in jeopardy?
Has FlyNet, as a simulation, nothing more and nothing less, ever been a pain killer for you and a painkiller against what?
Are we flying for virtual money? Are we flying to escape virtually? "Virtually"... Have you ever considered the common origin of the words "virtual" and "virtue"? (but that's another story... maybe).

I know I am starting (and I really don't know why I am doing this) a "heavy" thread, leading to even heavier thoughts, maybe never to be expressed here (or never should be expressed here). I would just feel jealous (with a good meaning) for those who will not have that kind of "heavy" thoughts reading this message for if they do we have something in common... and as someone said "there is no reason to feel jealous for ourselves".
CEO
Ionathan Airlines

Stan
Chief Pilot

Post by Stan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:14 pm

Flynet for me is an escape from the pub,so in itself it is self financing in the real world.Every night spent flight simming puts more RW cash in my pocket enabling me to purchase better computers with which to do the simming.I still like the odd night out but when i do go out like to make a good session of it.
Why Flynet?,well for me i would get really bored if i was just flying from A TO B, so Flynet gives me a reason to fly,whether i am flying so that i can afford that expensive A380 or a cheap runabout to mess about in, or to lease out and make more virtual dollars.I am a member of about five other programs and so sometimes the routes i am flying may seem a bit wierd to somebody checking out my flightplans.But i may be doing something on another site,building an FBO or restocking an existing FBO,but i dont like to do these things without also making a bit of extra cash on Flynet.I have flown on as many as five programs simultaniously all with the one flight,Making money on some losing on others.At one time i owned the same aircraft on three of the sites and liked them all to be at the same airport on all three programs.
I have been a planespotter for about 20 years so my interest is not just confined to flying.I like to have the RW traffic also present in the airports that i visit and i also like to have the airport scenery for said airports,many that i visited in the real world.Messing about with the traffic is like a seperate hobby and adding scenery,searching the Web to find the scenery,altering the parking at the above airports so that all the different airlines park where they park in the RW all adds to my enjoyment.
I am getting older now and computers were not around when i was at school,and so i am just constantly amazed at the things you can do with them nowadays and MSFS is just about the the best program i have found,not many programs will allow you to take the basic program apart and build it as it suits yourself.
The world we fly on is such a great innovation and full credit must go to the designers of that world,pity that MSTS wasn,t built on the the same world although i think at this very moment Microsoft are working on a new MSTS using the same globe.
I dont design scenery myself but i am amazed at the creations that these scenery designers come up with and a great many of them do it purely as a hobby and the only thanks they want is the odd Email telling them how much you appreciate their work.Others Model the aircraft we fly around in and again a lot of them do it purely as a hobby.
I had a major operation a few years back and i think it was the desire to get back to my computer that got me thru it,i just couldn,t wait to get back home,even escaped a few times and had the police helicopter out looking for me on one occasion.
All in all this whole flightsimming thing is just marvelous, and the younger members being used to computers probably dont appreciate just how good it is as they have grown up in a world where computers have always been present.I know the ins and out of MSFS but it can take me up to an hour sometimes just to send an Email to somebody,but i am learning all the time and it certainly keeps my mind active.
There are some very clever poeple who have given their free time to enable us to do what we tend to take for granted,Lee Swordy, who gave us Afcad and Traffic tools,Pete Dowson who gave us FSUIPC. and i think Lars Mollenbjerg who came up with Editvoicepack and lots of others to numerous to mention and in my mind it is no wonder that Flight Simulator is the longest running game Franchise ever,may it continue to be so.
Yours Stan

vikartindur

Re: What is FlyNet for you?

Post by vikartindur » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:14 am

Ionathan wrote: But, what means FlyNet for each of us?
Is it just a game, an alter life, an escape door from a depressive life, a place where we can simulate what we would like to be (or a part of it)? How do we feel when simulation reaches its limits?
this is a place where i can simulate the "pilot" i always wanted to be when i was young and could not become one.. oh yes, i am a captain. but i go out to the sea, instead of taking off into the blue :)

Tuna
Pegasus Virtual

Myrm
Flight Attendant

Post by Myrm » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:21 pm

For me it's a game; pure and simple, nothing more, nothing less. I do not take it seriously or think it is real life.

That does not mean to say that I do not think much of it, on the contrary I think Konny and Team have produced a fantastic product, and I do enjoy playing it.
Myrm

"Glöm inte vår Tobias" (In memory of Tobias Enroth 1999-2007)

vknierim

Post by vknierim » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:23 pm

For me flyNET gives MSFS the depth I ever wanted. Create and manage an Airline, fly for a reason and improve my flying skills beyond the default capabilities of the FS Training. It gives a reason to fly and creates a virtual reality (with an economy) of it's own. At the same time it does not make it too hard (or even impossible) to grow and expand by applying a too difficult or strict economy. Even if there are already loads of other airlines flying from an airport, it does not affect your personal profit, as long as your flying is good (and prices are reasonable). I really like this point and hope it never changes. One great other benefit is, that the client is not too strict, so it can be used with other addon for the simulator like FSPassengers, ActiveSky, and even VATSIM.

To put it all in one sentence: "It's all I ever wanted to have in Microsoft Flight Simulator" :-)

Thanks guys.

Volker

Safari Air
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Safari Air » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:35 pm

a bit of a laugh where i can go do the pilot thing in my spare time and run my airline. It's great fun really isn't it? It's simulation but who says you can't enjoy a good simulation.

Oh and i rather enjoy the DB admin job too, it's great to help you guys out enjoy the program and a great laugh to be working with Cap, Justin, Joe, Dakurt and Konny to help make it better
Thanks
Geoff