Exactly When Does The Client Begin Recording?

Topics that you should read and may help you in using flynet

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Cat
Chief Pilot

Exactly When Does The Client Begin Recording?

Post by Cat » Mon May 25, 2020 10:15 pm

With all the recent changes in FSAirlines, this may seem like a silly, simple question but I have to ask: Exactly when does the Client start recording the flight?

We are having a discussion about this and I always thought it was the first engine start. Some say the parking brake being set but if I recall, the parking brake to start flight penalty was removed long ago.

Will the APU start be seen by the Client if the apu draws fuel from the tanks?

Or does simply clicking FLY on the Client (You Can Start Your Flight Now - message comes up) start the recording of the flight?

I had a pilot sit on the ramp for 23 mins before takeoff, so I am really curious now.

Thanks!

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Re: Exactly When Does The Client Begin Recording?

Post by joefremont » Tue May 26, 2020 12:10 am

In this case it is the simplest answer, it starts after you confirm fuel and payload with that last push of 'Fly'. With all the changes in the systems recently that is one thing I have not touched.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Tue May 26, 2020 12:31 am

thanks! That expains the 23 mins one of our pilots recorded before takeoff. :)

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue May 26, 2020 3:16 am

Ok, I just double checked the code, the flight 'starts' when the aircraft starts to taxi. Is that when it should start or should it start counting at take off.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Tue May 26, 2020 3:38 pm

Taxi would be appropriate. Releasing the parking brakes with entry doors closed (just before pushback) tells the ACARS that you have departed the gate (in real world ops).

I did an 8 minute flight with a Cessna 172 last night after letting the airplane sit on the ramp for over an hour and the Client only logged the .1 flight hour while showing in the blackbox data the 1 hour ramp delay. So it's working perfectly with FSX-SE. Now if someone taxi's and then parks again without taking off and waits and waits and waits to build illegitimate flight hours, well that's something individual VA owner/operators can deal with.

I never understand the cheaters ... they only cheat themselves. I just don't get what the point is flaunting stats that were not truly earned. I must be old school Or just old. :lol:

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue May 26, 2020 4:11 pm

It sounds not that different than those who setup that 14 hour flight and 30 minutes in, after getting to cruise and setting the autopilot, leave for the next 13 hours until its time to descend.

Of all the stats we keep track of hours I have probably considered the least important. As part of the normal flight review system it checks hours but only to see if its too low, not to long. Hours to low usually indicates something amiss with the sim rate or maybe some other shenanigans going on. But like fuel if they use too many hours, well they are just hurting themselves. On top of that for X-Plane pilots the hours are often inaccurate.

As part of the idea for the automatic rank promotions by flight hours I had assumed it would have to use some sort of calculated standard hours along the lines of range / speed as flight hours are so easy to manipulate.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Tue May 26, 2020 10:11 pm

All you say is absolutely true...... so what if your automatic ranks have the option to use flight count instead of hours flown?

I guess the cheaters will figure that out too with super short flights. LOL At some point the VA owners have to take some responsibility in policing their own airline too. They can't expect you to do it all for them.