Overspeed Taxi

Please report Bugs and Problems here

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

JJacobs

Overspeed Taxi

Post by JJacobs » Sat May 13, 2006 8:52 am

With taking off its quite easy concept I beleive. Make it so without a heading deviation of 15 degrees and you get positive rate of climb. However today when I landed I like to not use brakes so I touch down deploy spoilers/reverse thrust then at 60 knots I will take back reverse thrust and roll to 20 knots or lower if able then apply brakes. So this must take longer than a minute. So how about my heading deviation idea?

ben_davies247

Post by ben_davies247 » Sat May 13, 2006 10:02 am

I dont understand this, can you make it a bit clearer please??

Blackhawk1

Post by Blackhawk1 » Sat May 13, 2006 2:48 pm

Yeah, what does that have to do with overspeed taxi?

JJacobs

Post by JJacobs » Sat May 13, 2006 7:30 pm

I get overspeed taxi points deducted when I take a long time on my landing roll

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Sat May 13, 2006 11:10 pm

JJacobs wrote:I get overspeed taxi points deducted when I take a long time on my landing roll
Yes, I used to as well, then the time was extended, I dont know what it is now, but it certainly is a lot of time. I think a general rule of thumb is that if you land the plane properly, and autobrakes 1 is activated (the lowest setting) with no reverse thrust you should be able to roll to under 25kts in the time required.

Konny can specify the exact duration of the settings of course.

ben_davies247

Post by ben_davies247 » Sun May 14, 2006 10:36 am

I would suggest changing your landing roll. Set Autobrakes to 2 or 3. Reversers on on landing and off at 60kts. Manual braking but stop at about 20kts then apply little engine power to exit off the runway at about 20kts. Thats how I do it and its fine

Rick_Piper

Post by Rick_Piper » Mon May 29, 2006 7:24 pm

Hi Konny

I got my first penalty today.

Had no choice at all.

Ground wind was 28 kts and i could not do anything but taxy back to the gate after landing. :(

Can this be changed so it's groundspeed as it's not right to get a penalty because of windspeed ?.

I will never ever be able to get back to 100% so to me it seems like a bug/error.
Once on the ground the client should not be looking at Airspeed but should be reading Groundspeed.

Regards
Rick

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Mon May 29, 2006 7:30 pm

Rick_Piper wrote:Hi Konny

I got my first penalty today.

Had no choice at all.

Ground wind was 28 kts and i could not do anything but taxy back to the gate after landing. :(

Can this be changed so it's groundspeed as it's not right to get a penalty because of windspeed ?.

I will never ever be able to get back to 100% so to me it seems like a bug/error.
Once on the ground the client should not be looking at Airspeed but should be reading Groundspeed.

Regards
Rick
It is done by groundspeed. That beep you here when you begin your taxi always occurs at 10 knots ground, all the taxi stuff is ground. In fact I have taxied at 24 knots (just fringing on the limit) and ive been fine, even with strong winds.

You probably oversped in some other part of the taxi that you didnt realize. Evryone makes mistakes, and yes, you will never have 100% again, but thats not really so bad now is it?

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Mon May 29, 2006 7:42 pm

Hi,

I believe Konny has a timer that starts ticking when the wheels touch. How much time do we have to reduce groundspeed on the runway before the client shows a penalty? Are there any plans for the client to be able to detect runway surface as opposed to taxiway surface?

Rgds

John
Last edited by Quantum on Mon May 29, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Mon May 29, 2006 7:43 pm

John, at this time, the timer is 60 seconds.

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Mon May 29, 2006 7:44 pm

Thanks Chris

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Re: Overspeed Taxi

Post by CAPFlyer » Mon May 29, 2006 8:30 pm

JJacobs wrote:With taking off its quite easy concept I beleive. Make it so without a heading deviation of 15 degrees and you get positive rate of climb. However today when I landed I like to not use brakes so I touch down deploy spoilers/reverse thrust then at 60 knots I will take back reverse thrust and roll to 20 knots or lower if able then apply brakes. So this must take longer than a minute. So how about my heading deviation idea?
I never really addressed this one initially, but now I think I will.

The solution is simple - use correct landing procedures. Sorry man, but your method of landing isn't right under any airline nor normal operating practices for any aircraft or airport. If you tried that in the real world, you'd find yourself having a long chewing out by not only the Air Traffic Controllers for holding up the runway (remember, next aircraft can't land or takeoff until you're clear) and then by your bosses at the airline for making ATC mad and for taking too much time on the runway.

For 99% of airlines, here's the procedure -

Autospoilers-ARM
Autobrakes-MEDIUM(2) unless short runway then MAX(3)
On main gear contact, ensure spoilers deploy. If autospoilers don't work, manually deploy spoilers.
On nose gear contact, select Idle Reverse (except on 757 and 737, which are specifically authorized to initiate reverse at main gear touchdown. All others must wait until nose gear contact).
On reverser open lights, throttle to at least 50% reverse.
At 80 knots, reduce to Idle Reverse.
At 60 knots, select Idle Thrust.
At 40 knots, disengage autobrakes, continue manual braking to taxi speed. Do not exit runway on high-speed turnoff unless under 40 knots to prevent excessive tire wear and scrubbing of outer tread.
Slow to 12 knots for taxi, turns not in excess of 8 knots (these are good speeds for any airplane).

I have yet to have a landing take more than 45 seconds from touchdown to runway cleared and that was because I had to taxi to the turnoff, which was done at 30 knots when I realized I wasn't going to make the one I was aiming for. As soon as I'd entered the highspeed, I slowed to 12 knots and taxied into the gate. With some of the smaller airplanes, I actually will land long on the runway to shorten taxi time if ATC is okay with it (real world and VATSIM). Otherwise, I take the long taxi and deal with it.