"Bad" fuel issue and pilots being stranded

Please report Bugs and Problems here

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

JJacobs

"Bad" fuel issue and pilots being stranded

Post by JJacobs » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:44 pm

One of my pilots is having a strange problem with fuel consumption, he is burning NO fuel, that explains our huge profits. And I am 6000 dollars in debt and need to buy a ticket out of iceland.

Also engine falures. You just drain all the fuel out so neither engine runs and its impossible to fly pretty much. That was ok in my 172 where I glided like 5-7nm to land at an airport, But I lost BOTH engines once in a failure 500nm from land. That needs to be fixed.

JJacobs

Post by JJacobs » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:49 pm

also fuel prices are in lieters and buying is in kilograms, it should be in liters Also the U.S. system should be in gallons

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:21 am

Actually, the fuel orders for 99% of airliners out there is in Kilograms or Pounds and then the amount of gallons is calculated off of that.

The program automatically makes the conversion from LBS or KGS to Gallons or Liters as appropriate using the standard conversion factor of Jet-A weighing 6.7 pounds per gallon (or at least that's what we always used as the "standard" conversion, even though it does vary with temperature a bit).

If you're trying to buy gas by the gallon, then you're not planning correctly as the weight of the fuel is much more important to you than the quantity. If you buy 60 gallons but can only carry 300 pounds of fuel, then you've got a problem because you've just overfueled your airplane.

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:29 pm

Yep, to my knowledge airliners always calculate with weight ( lbs or kg ) and not volume. But fuel prices are given in liters or gallons. As Chris already said the weight of one liter/gallon fuel depends on the temperature. FlyNET uses a fixed value to convert between volume and weight. You can find it in every flightreport where the fuel costs are calculated: 1 liter = 1.234kg
Konrad - FSAirlines Developer