High loop times

Please report Bugs and Problems here

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

nikosmag

High loop times

Post by nikosmag » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:49 pm

Hello all,

I'm experiencing a problem that i find very annoying cause i can't complete almost any flight (especially long range). I've noticed that the loop time indicator on flynet client has values between 1000ms and 25000ms...I believe that this is not normal. As a result my client stops to respond and shuts down. I don't use any other program such as IE, firefox while flying. Do you have any idea what might be the solution to my problem?

Thanks in advance,
Nicholas Maggioros

Ionathan
Captain

Post by Ionathan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:09 pm

Hi (Geia),

Does the problem happen only when flying? Assuming you have had some succesful flights when the client did not halt, did you have any problems then? I don't think there is a problem with your connection because it cannot be slower than mine (dialup). Are there any firewalls or antiviruses running?

Other than that I can only suggest a compromising solution which is turning the Tracker off and see if the problem persists.

Nikos
CEO
Ionathan Airlines

nikosmag

Post by nikosmag » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:26 pm

Hi Ionathan,

There problem is from the time i turn on flynet. The succesfull flights where with high loop times but the client did not hult or hulted at the end when you send the pirep. My internet ping times are about 11ms so i guess this is not a problem.
Also one thing i noticed that i'm not sure if it has to do anything with my problem is that i don't here the bip sound from the client when my status changes (e.x from taxi -> climb).
Do you know what port the client uses to connect to fs and to internet?Maybe i can check that.

Thanks Nicholas

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:29 pm

nikosmag wrote:
with my problem is that i don't here the bip sound from the client when my status changes (e.x from taxi -> climb).
Do you know what port the client uses to connect to fs and to internet?Maybe i can check that.

Thanks Nicholas

do u mean, wat system is used for the comunication of FS and the client? if so, fsuicp.

im curious does the game, client, or ur computer crash when this happens?
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

nikosmag

Post by nikosmag » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:05 pm

The Client suddenly doesn't respond. FS is flying OK.

I don't mean fsuipc... I mean what port does the client use to connect to the internet... e.x. http port is 80.

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:08 pm

Hi Nicholas,

The client uses Port 3306 to communicate with the database. Have tried turning the tracker of ? (just set tracker=0 in the c:\windows\flynet.ini )
And could you give some more details about your PC specs ? CPU, Ram, FS version ?
Konrad - FSAirlines Developer

nikosmag

Post by nikosmag » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:06 pm

I opened the ports and disabled the tracker but still i get high loop times (min 1000). Although at the begining (when i open the client) i get normal loop-times about 60ms.

My rig: Athlon XP 3200+,2GB Ram,ATI X1950Pro 512MB, Asus A7N Deluxe Motherboard. FS9.1

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:17 pm

That's ok. When airborne the client only runs the program loop once every 1 second or even fewer to save capacities. I think anything up to 10000ms shouldn't hurt.

nikosmag

Post by nikosmag » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:33 pm

So why does my client stop responding after a while?

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:42 pm

Does that still happen with the tracker turned off ?

nikosmag

Post by nikosmag » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:50 pm

It's true that since i turned it off the client hasn't halted again. But i need some more testing in order to say if it works 100%. Do you think that this has solved my problem? Is this a known bug? Is it gonna be fixed on next realase?

Thanks,
Nikolas

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:27 pm

It's not a "bug" per-se. It's a problem with slow connections. The tracker sends information at a given interval and if you have a poor connection or a slow processor, it will have problems transmitting the data and thus it will eventually freeze up from all the errors being generated when it can't send the data it's supposed to. By turning off the tracker, you eliminate the errors and thus eliminate the problem.

I don't really know that there's a good way to "fix" the tracker so that it'll work on lower-end connections and systems, but I think Konny or DaKurt should think about adding a "tracker on/tracker off" button as part of the options within the client that are managed once you start the program instead of having to edit the INI file.