Unexplained crashes - the accident investigation thread

Please report Bugs and Problems here

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

ruudopdeweegh
Flight Attendant

Re: Unexplained crashes - the accident investigation thread

Post by ruudopdeweegh » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:31 pm

I guess we ran out of ideas? Well, at the moment I make a flight without using the client software and nothing special happens. What more is the client doing except checking what the simulator is doing? Because somehow there is a conflict created....
I advised all my pilots (5) to subscribe this forum and to report there problems. Only one pilot did not report a problem so 4 out of 5.
Now my laptop simulator has become a victim too. Maybe de-installing and re-installing might help (temporarely?)

BTW I read this one:
Don't cancel and rebook your flight through the website. The server, upon loss of connection with your client, will wait for ten minutes before resetting your flight to 'booked' status. Check back on the flight monitor page and you'll see when it does, then start FS and FLYnet and try the flight again.
Again, you do not need to cancel your flight (and lose money).

Those ten minutes? Not true. The client says approx 15 seconds after the sim crash it returned to the booked status. Trying the flight again? A flight of 10 hours and after 2-3 hours the sim crashes; some thinks I want to start all over again? I look forward to an autosave option....
Last edited by ruudopdeweegh on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Ruud.

ruudopdeweegh
Flight Attendant

Post by ruudopdeweegh » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:50 am

Hi again,

So far this is what I did in order to get it running:
  • Disabling Fspassengers
    Disabling Flight Tracker
    Checked duplicate BGL files
    Disabling Zone Alarm and activating Windows Firewall
    Disabling Active Sky
    Disabling FsInn
    Disabling all software that I do not need while flying, like my email program, PC Tools Spyware Doctor etc etc
    De-activatied my internet connection and the Windows Firewall
    So I had my simulator (FS9) and client software running only
The combination Fsim and client used to work on my laptop till a few days ago. Now I can't use the client anymore, neither on my desktop nor laptop.
After one hour the complete stuff crashed again this morning.
I am desperately waiting for the solution from the authors. This is definitely not a scenery or internet connection problem as these things happen all over the "place" also at the middle of the Atlantic and I never loose my internet connection (never say never, approx once in 7-8 months; problem solved by resetting the router and cable modem)
Regards,
Ruud.

carthorse
Ticket Agent

Post by carthorse » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:28 am

1. Equipment type
2. RW time of crash
3. Were you using RW weather at the time of the crash?
4. How long was the flight scheduled for?
5. Were you using time acceleration at the time of the crash?
6. Were you using FSX or FS9?

1. BAC 111-500
2. approx. 4:10 UTC
3. RW weather from FSX
4. less than 30 min
5. no TC
6. FSX + FSINN

comments: my router occasionally drops my connection. When this occurs the FlyNet v0.6.9b Client crashes. This seems to be a conistent problem.

ruudopdeweegh
Flight Attendant

Post by ruudopdeweegh » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:20 pm

It must be a very big problem as there are no responds anymore from the author(s) as far as I can see. Of course it is possible he (they) is (are) on holidays.
But we (World Caribbean Gateway) have to pause using the client software as it is unusable at the moment. I have re-installed the simulator and all add-ons this afternoon but the result is still the same: rubbish, sorry for the word.
I really hope this huge bug is found and solved soon, therefor.. lots of success!
Regards,
Ruud.

carthorse
Ticket Agent

Post by carthorse » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:37 pm

I'm sure if we started paying them, they would be able to work on it more :)

But i'm happy for any time you guys get to work on it. Real life comes first

Thanks for everything so far.

ruudopdeweegh
Flight Attendant

Post by ruudopdeweegh » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:37 am

carthorse wrote:I'm sure if we started paying them, they would be able to work on it more :)
But i'm happy for any time you guys get to work on it. Real life comes first
Thanks for everything so far.
Fully agree with that: real life comes first. So we will patiently wait for a reworked update.
Regards,
Ruud.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:46 am

There will be no further development on the FlyNET as we are working to move to the FSAirlines client, which is totally reworked.

As for your problems, I'm not sure why you're having the crashes. As well, you are in the vast minority having any serious problems and even then, some of the problems we see posted were already addressed earlier in the thread and it's obvious that not everyone is testing those fixes first before reporting a problem.

Again, if you have a problem with an unstable internet connection, disable the flight tracker. Simply open the FlyNET config.ini file and change the "tracker" value from "=1" to "=0". This will solve all client crashes resulting from the loss of an internet connection.

Konrad & Claudio tried to make the client work as well as possible, but the problem, as with all software, is that there is such a diverse amount of different configurations for Flight Sim, that there will unfortunately be those setups that for whatever reason does not work with the software. We cannot ask them to program the client to work on 1% of the user's computers. It has to work on 99% and many times trying to fix the 1% breaks it for the other 99%.

carthorse
Ticket Agent

Post by carthorse » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:47 am

Understood. Thanks for the extra info. I had long forgotten the tweak of turning the tracker off.

I'm looking forward to FSAirlines. Thanks.

ruudopdeweegh
Flight Attendant

Post by ruudopdeweegh » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:54 am

CAPFlyer wrote:There will be no further development on the FlyNET as we are working to move to the FSAirlines client, which is totally reworked.
As for your problems, I'm not sure why you're having the crashes. As well, you are in the vast minority having any serious problems and even then, some of the problems we see posted were already addressed earlier in the thread and it's obvious that not everyone is testing those fixes first before reporting a problem.
Again, if you have a problem with an unstable internet connection, disable the flight tracker. Simply open the FlyNET config.ini file and change the "tracker" value from "=1" to "=0". This will solve all client crashes resulting from the loss of an internet connection.
Konrad & Claudio tried to make the client work as well as possible, but the problem, as with all software, is that there is such a diverse amount of different configurations for Flight Sim, that there will unfortunately be those setups that for whatever reason does not work with the software. We cannot ask them to program the client to work on 1% of the user's computers. It has to work on 99% and many times trying to fix the 1% breaks it for the other 99%.
Reading all the messages and considering 4 out of 5 of my pilots have the same problem I am not so sure we are in the vast minority.
The internet connection is very very stable believe me. As I wrote before, once in a few months (6-7) I have to reset the cable modem and router but that's it. If the internet connection should drop, my simulator connection would drop as well and it never does.
Quoting myself from a message in this thread:
Disabling Fspassengers
Disabling Flight Tracker
Checked duplicate BGL files
Disabling Zone Alarm and activating Windows Firewall
Disabling Active Sky
Disabling FsInn
Disabling all software that I do not need while flying, like my email program, PC Tools Spyware Doctor etc etc
De-activatied my internet connection and the Windows Firewall

Yesterday I flew from EHAM to LGSM without any problems (without the client) At the moment I return from LGSM back to EHAM again, without the client and it works perfectly well. Everything back on (fspax, browser, Zonealarm, email program etc) and no problem. So everything ok, but as soon as I start the client after a little while the sim crashes again together with the client.
As you stated there will be no further development on the Flynet, we'll have to wait for FSAirlines client. This afternoon I will install that program to see what will happen. Could it be an unregistered FSUIPC perhaps? (latest version 3.75)
Regards,
Ruud.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:34 pm

Ruud, 3 of 3000 is 0.1%. That's a vast minority. We've looked at our stats in the past and the number of failures reported to the system and found via the anti-cheat software is somewhere around 2%. Even adjusted for "non-reporting" (i.e. those who simply stop using the client without trying to fix it or contact us), you're still talking less than 5% of all users (150 people) having any serious problems with the client. Personally, I think that's pretty darned good in my years working with computers and computer programs. If you can keep the problems to less than 10% having any problems on installation, you're doing good.

Also, as your client was working fine until recently, I am inclined to believe that something changed on your setup, not the client. The problem is that it takes a vastly disproportionate amount of time to try and trace a problem like that that is not related to the client than it is to fix a client issue. That's not to say that we don't appreciate your problem or want to try to help, but the difficulty of solving it is much more than something that we have direct control over (the client) as the most we can do is figure out what change caused the problem then refer you to the makers of that program or suggest how to revert your system to where it was before you started having the problem.

ruudopdeweegh
Flight Attendant

Post by ruudopdeweegh » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:25 pm

CAPFlyer wrote: If you can keep the problems to less than 10% having any problems on installation, you're doing good.
Now you sound like Bill Gates :-)
CAPFlyer wrote: Also, as your client was working fine until recently,
I am afraid you did not understand everything. On my desktop it never worked at all. And yes, it worked on my laptop a short period of time. As the laptop is not mine, but from my office (shhh) I did not change anything but what I described earlier. Did anything change at the server perhaps? Why is it always the user who did something (wrong ) when the problem can not be solved?
CAPFlyer wrote: I am inclined to believe that something changed on your setup, not the client.
The client did not change indeed and the setup did not change.
CAPFlyer wrote: The problem is that it takes a vastly disproportionate amount of time to try and trace a problem like that that is not related to the client than it is to fix a client issue.
Fully agreed!
CAPFlyer wrote: That's not to say that we don't appreciate your problem or want to try to help, but the difficulty of solving it is much more than something that we have direct control over (the client) as the most we can do is figure out what change caused the problem then refer you to the makers of that program or suggest how to revert your system to where it was before you started having the problem.
I can assure you nothing has changed overhere but I fully agree it is not a simple job to make it work 100%.
What I did is downloading/installing the FSAirlines client. (V1-0a) You know what? The EXE file creates another problem. The field for my username is too short. "ruudopdewee" is all I can write, but that problem is off topic over here I am afraid.
Let's wait until you release the final version to which I look forward very much.
Wish you lots of success!!
Regards,
Ruud.

ruudopdeweegh
Flight Attendant

Post by ruudopdeweegh » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:31 pm

Well, I understood there will be no working at Flynet.exe anymore, but finally I could intercept an error message.

Booked a flight and using FS9 for exactly 123 minutes the menu of Fs9 disappeared and both programs as usual crashed with this message:
On top of the window "Flynet.exe"
Inside the window: "The exception Integer division by zero (0xc0000094) occured in the application at location 0x00451048"
Doesn't ring a bell to me but it really looks like something went wrong with Flynet.exe
Regards,
Ruud.

ruudopdeweegh
Flight Attendant

Post by ruudopdeweegh » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:56 am

Don't ask me why and how, but I found a solution (?) for my problem... at last.
One of my fellow pilots, who did not have the crash problem, suggested to make it possible to listen to and transmitting through the radio (with FSinn possible, don't know with SB3) and minimize the simulator.
At first I could not believe it but not shooting, always missed so I did and tried: perfect!!
Every now and then I maximize the simulator and check the cockpit if everything is okay ( I have the risk having a malfunctioning autopilot or whatever)
Once again, I don't understand because with our without the client the usage of the CPU is 50% and when I minimize the simulator, the use of the CPU is 30%
So what makes the client crash the sim in a maximized window and why not when the sim is minimized???
Regards,
Ruud.

alasizon
FSAirlines DB and Wiki Admin

Post by alasizon » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:43 am

ruudopdeweegh wrote:Well, I understood there will be no working at Flynet.exe anymore, but finally I could intercept an error message.

Booked a flight and using FS9 for exactly 123 minutes the menu of Fs9 disappeared and both programs as usual crashed with this message:
Inside the window: "The exception Integer division by zero (0xc0000094) occured in the application at location 0x00451048"
Doesn't ring a bell to me but it really looks like something went wrong with Flynet.exe
Just now reading this but still willing to offer an explanation. The type of error above is a fatal execution error due to a corrupt bit of memory or a corrupt file. I suggest reinstalling everything you can or have CD keys for, also, if you have done a system restore recently(Windows XP), any and all changes before that date that access your Flight Sim must be reinstalled/activated otherwise it may crash. While I can't explain how its happening to all of your pilots, I believe it could also be an issue with the coding on the payware/freeware you are using that does not allow the flynet client to access the panel data while its running after a certain time possibly due to a network/firewall issue.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

ruudopdeweegh
Flight Attendant

Post by ruudopdeweegh » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:14 pm

alasizon wrote:
ruudopdeweegh wrote:Well, I understood there will be no working at Flynet.exe anymore, but finally I could intercept an error message.

Just now reading this but still willing to offer an explanation. The type of error above is a fatal execution error due to a corrupt bit of memory or a corrupt file. I suggest reinstalling everything you can or have CD keys for, also, if you have done a system restore recently(Windows XP), any and all changes before that date that access your Flight Sim must be reinstalled/activated otherwise it may crash. While I can't explain how its happening to all of your pilots, I believe it could also be an issue with the coding on the payware/freeware you are using that does not allow the flynet client to access the panel data while its running after a certain time possibly due to a network/firewall issue.
The problem was solved by installing and using FSRealtime. Not freeware but for already a few dollars/euros it is al solved. I have tried everything you listed above, but none of them helped. I can't recall where I found this solution, but really FSrealtime was and is THE solution!
Thanks anyway for responding!!
Regards,
Ruud.