Computer crashes shuts down

Please report Bugs and Problems here

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

westermanjt

Post by westermanjt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:19 pm

It would have to be a very large and fast spike in the heat produced to cause the system to shut down. The thing is, I can run FS and the client fine, but as soon as I apply any forward throttle at all, BEEP CRASH.
Also, I'm using an extra fan to cool the laptop as well as running an application that lets me force the fans to high.

DaKurt
FSAirlines Developer

Post by DaKurt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:41 pm

so this only happens to you when you apply the throttle? you could stand at the runway for a long time without a crash? what exactly happens when it crashes? does the pc automatically reboot or do you see a bluescreen, does flynet or FS shut down? sounds like a strange problem...when was the last time that you reinstalled your OS?
Claudio - FSAirlines Programming

westermanjt

Post by westermanjt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:27 pm

Yep I think I could sit there for awhile, I have managed to start my engines, do a pushback, and then when I throttle up, and in less than 1-2 seconds I get a loud beep and simultaneously the screen goes blank and the computer shuts down. Its a bit startling how quick it happens. I'm stumped. When might this new client be finished? I may have to wait for that development.

A friend of mine mentioned that he heard of someone having a similar problem:
The second patch introduced a bug on my XP Pro based system, which causes a crash to desktop if FS2004 is shut down after a 737 flight and then restarted and a flight created with the 737 loaded. The solution is to load a different plane and then swap to the 737 once FS is running. This was repeatable and it didn't seem to matter which model of the 737 was used.
so I'll try loading and shutting down FS with another bird and see if that helps.

Thanks to everyone for your help and interest so far.

Stan
Chief Pilot

Post by Stan » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:56 pm

I used to have a problem when my computer had been on for a while.I would here a click and the screen would go black,and it was the graphic card shutting down because the powerpack was overheating.I cured it by disconecting from the mains electricity and removing the powerpack without unconecting any of the connections.I then managed to take the casing off the powerpack and a few other bits until i could get the fan out where i could work on it.Removed the label from the back of fan and removed a rubber bung.Then put two drops of light machine oil on the spindle,gave it a good clean all round then put it all back together again and its worked perfect ever since.
Yours Stan

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:27 am

Just a thought, try this :

1 Throttling up with the brakes on, without creeping forwards if poss. leave with stable power setting etc and then switch views and generally try and load up your processor with fs graphic work

2. Try very slowly taxi-ing but keep your speed below 5kts groundspeed. It's important to keep below 5kts so that the client trigger point isn't reached.

3. Now let your speed creep up to 5 kts so that the client recognises first movement, 5kts g/s and see if you get the beep folowed by PC reboot.

I always get the beeps, from PC not the speakers. One at 5kts g/s and another as wheels leave ground. If you can do 1 and 2 but not 3, then it does point to a possible client problem which is disagreeing with your particular set-up. I'm not sure if it's possible to disable the system speaker so that the beep doesn't sound or not.

Rgds

John
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:00 am

see now my beeps go through my speakers.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

westermanjt

Post by westermanjt » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:05 am

so it looks like I'm at a dead end with this problem. appreciate your help. When might the new client become available. If you need a beta tester, I'm your man.

DaKurt
FSAirlines Developer

Post by DaKurt » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:23 am

it might take another 2 to 4 weeks until I'll release an optional alpha version of the client. I'll contact you then.
Claudio - FSAirlines Programming

JamesMc

Post by JamesMc » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:13 pm

We need to get John flying. I hope it's closer to 2 weeks :D

westermanjt

Post by westermanjt » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:32 pm

great news to hear that you'll have a new version up pretty soon. I am looking forward to flying here, until then I'm going to take my joystick and go and sit quietly in the corner. 8)

JamesMc

Post by JamesMc » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:15 am

Hey Claudio any update on when you might have the next version available? It really sucks having one of our friends not being able to fly with us.
:cry: I'm hoping a new version might take care of the problem.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:38 pm

Cool down James. It's been only 9 days since he posted that it'd be 2-4 weeks. If it's been more than 2 weeks, then I can understand asking for an update, but please don't hound him.

JamesMc

Post by JamesMc » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:07 pm

LOL I am very cool. I was just asking. It seems as if me asking questions here is a problem. I'll refrain from doing it in the future. My humblest apologies.