Computer crashes shuts down

Please report Bugs and Problems here

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

westermanjt

Computer crashes shuts down

Post by westermanjt » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:56 am

Hey all,

New here, just trying to get my first flight off the ground. After starting up the client and adding fuel I begin to taxi for takeoff and the computer beeps loudly and then shuts down completely. Any idea why this is happening? I fly on FSE and Flightline and this hasn't happened over there. Would love to give Flynet a go but this is quite a roadblock.

best,

westermanjt

aretallack

Post by aretallack » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:04 pm

Hi,

This sounds a little like an over-heating problem... but then you can fly on other sites. I have had a similar problem, but after replacing my PC Case with a larger one it seems OK. Come to think of it, I have only experienced the shutdown with FlyNet - I wonder how much CPU the client uses? Will check when I next fly.

-Andrew

westermanjt

Post by westermanjt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:50 pm

Well its been about 9 months and I've yet to get this fixed. I was hoping one of the developers would have gotten back to me at some point in the last 9 months, lol. I'm running on a Dell laptop Insipiron 9300 with 1.56ghz processor, 1gb ram, GeForce GO 6800 NVdia video card 256mb.

my first thought was that it might be a conflict between the client and my sound, but the suggestion that it might be an overheat alarm of some sort leads me to think that maybe the problem is somewhere in my bios?

At any rate, what happens is that after getting the fligh set up, as soon as I apply power for taxi or takeoff my system beeps quite loudly and then shuts down completely.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stan
Chief Pilot

Post by Stan » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:09 pm

Have u tried turning off the flight monitor.?
Yours Stan

westermanjt

Post by westermanjt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:32 pm

not sure I even had the flight monitor running, I'm pretty sure I've crashed the system with it both on and off. I'm fairly well convinced that its something to do with my bios

Stan
Chief Pilot

Post by Stan » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:50 pm

We all get a beep when we start moving but it doesn,t crash the computer.Might be something to do with the beep that your computer doesn,t like.
Yours Stan

westermanjt

Post by westermanjt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:55 pm

It could be something with the beep produced by the client, but I've never heard that particular beep. The beep I'm getting is clearly a system beep. I'm just hoping that there is some super simple fix that will let me fly sometime soon. thanks for the feedback.

Stan
Chief Pilot

Post by Stan » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:07 pm

The beep does sound like a system beep.Check that you have turned the flight tracker off and have another go.c:/Local Disc/Windows/Flynet INI.
I just checked to see if i had it turned off and i hadn,t. But it does have a habit of turning itself on everynow and then.Change flight tracker=1 to =0.
Yours Stan

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:27 pm

u said ur running an inspiron, is that that top of the line on of that line? i think it might be more of ur computer. i use to have one that did like my games to well. I dont know if its possible for u, but if u ever decide to upgrade, go up to the XPS line of computers, im now using the xps 410 but it is the desk top...
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

westermanjt

Post by westermanjt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:50 pm

no joy on changing the flightracker to =0, still get the beep and hard crash. I wish i could afford to just run out and buy an new system, that would be a great fix. As it is I'm stuck with this system for better or worse. what an odd, stupid little problem though, lol.

Back to FSE for me.

JamesMc

Post by JamesMc » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:33 pm

Konny you must have an idea?

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:42 pm

Hm, very weird that this only happens with the FlyNET client. Which OS do you use and which version of the MSFS ?
Konrad - FSAirlines Developer

westermanjt

Post by westermanjt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:01 pm

XP (home editiion I think?) and FS9. It is a bit odd, and evidently not too common.

westermanjt

Post by westermanjt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:05 pm

I just checked my OS is Windows XP Professional

DaKurt
FSAirlines Developer

Post by DaKurt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:05 pm

this absolutely sounds like a overheating problem to me. i had this problem, too with my old pc when playing games with high CPU usage. I think, that FlyNET uses quite a bit of CPU and memory, too. And when you run both, Flight Simulator and the Client together, the pc heats up too much. To me it absolutely sounds like that problem. the only thing you could do is to change your system fans or find another way to cool down your pc, or maybe try it with the new client which might be available in some weeks...
Claudio - FSAirlines Programming