Instant Aircraft Transfers

READ THIS FORUM FIRST! Here are the rules and important information for you.

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Instant Aircraft Transfers

Post by joefremont » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:44 pm

Last year I implemented a change on the aircraft transfer system where you do an instant transfer so you could fly the plane right away rather than having to wait the standard time for it to finish, you just had to pay double the normal rate. But recently I have gotten some complaints about pilots who would fly a route with a big aircraft at x16 probably picking up lots of big packages, and then instant transfer to another location (or back to where they started) and flying again at x16.

So I am making a slight change to the instant transfer system. Given what ever the standard time to transfer between the aircrafts current location and the intended destination, if the aircraft has been flown or transferred within that time, instant transfer is not available. Here are some examples of transfer time for a 744 to various locations.

KJFK -> KBOS 162 nm 0.7 hours
KJFK -> KMIA 950 nm 3.9 hours
KJFK -> EGLL 2994 nm 12.2 hours
KJFK -> YSSY 8656 nm 37.3 hours

Currently it does block instant transfer if flown in the last 24 hours but on thinking about this the one size fits all approach is probably not the best. These changes should be in place soon.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Re: Instant Aircraft Transfers

Post by Cat » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:41 pm

If I my add my 2 cents worth - and it may not be worth even that much ......

Put a 12 hour instant transfer hold on any aircraft that has been flown in the past 12 hours.
Simple, effective deterrent. So if I land at noon and want to instant transfer to go grab more packages elsewhere, I can't instant transfer until midnight.

You can still standard transfer but the dashing around at warp speed trying to scoop up all the Easter Eggs (packages) would come to an abrupt halt.

Something needs to be done for sure - right now out of KLAS, the SW USA has been picked clean at 10:00am local time, nothing left to California. Nearest West Coast destination was Portland at 663nm.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:06 pm

I think it really depends. For a short distance, say KSFO to KLAX where its only 294 miles, 12 hours seems excessive. But for KJFK to YSSY, 12 is not enough. I think normal transfer time with a 3 hour minimum may be sufficient to solve this problem.

Of course that still does not stop those who like to jump back and forth at x16, but that's a different topic. I don't want to stop someone who because of work and other things can only fly on the weekend or evenings and wants to catch up, but I can see putting some limit on number of hours on an aircraft in a one week period, but again that's a different project and one we have avoided so far.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:30 am

Well, what if we think outside the box for a moment and just limit the number of instant transfers an airplane can have? It is highly unrealistic to instantly move airplanes in the real world and people have taken your generousity and turned it into a cheat. I can see needing one after a purchase or lease but other than that, to keep moving the plane about instantly several times a day only benefits the cheaters, the legit VA's wouldn't do that.

If we are allowed X number of instant transfers per aircraft per a calendar month - then those who have used theirs up would have to submit a support ticket explaining why they now need another instant transfer instead of using the standard time transfer. If they are using instant tranfers to game the system, they will not submit a support ticket saying so. :lol:

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:35 am

I don't want to be to oppressive. I figure many people have limited time and I don't want to put too many obstacles for them flying when they want to. If the aircraft could have been transferred and been available to fly, if they had planned far enough in advance, why not let them.

AdySmith
Flight Attendant

Post by AdySmith » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:46 am

We are talking instant transfers of aircraft here not just instant transfers of pilots aren't we.

I didn't realise pilots could do that, I thought it was reserved for fleet managers; perhaps that is an easier fix, only let managers do instant aircraft transfers?

Come to think of it why can pilots move aircraft without flying them anyway?
Defeats the point of being an armchair pilot (IMHO).

ADAM-007
Flight Attendant

Post by ADAM-007 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:07 am

AdySmith wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:46 am
We are talking instant transfers of aircraft here not just instant transfers of pilots aren't we.

I didn't realise pilots could do that, I thought it was reserved for fleet managers; perhaps that is an easier fix, only let managers do instant aircraft transfers?

Come to think of it why can pilots move aircraft without flying them anyway?
Defeats the point of being an armchair pilot (IMHO).
Hi Adrian, Only fleet managers that you have assigned can transfer and instant transfer aircraft. They are both assigned via the 'transfer' permission in your VA ranks.

I'm all for Joe's approach to this. I was fine even with 24 hours but Joe is right if my pilots spontaneously decide to fly somewhere it would be nice for them all to be able to do it tracked vs having to wait for an aircraft to transfer.

AdySmith
Flight Attendant

Post by AdySmith » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:27 am

Well if individual pilots are apparently abusing this then surely the solution is simple, remove their privilege to move aircraft.
Job done :)

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:23 pm

Well unless your volunteering I don't want to be the policeman checking on who is abusing the instant transfers, best to build a system that prevents it in the first place. The changes I described are now deployed.

luis969275
Ticket Agent

Post by luis969275 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:21 pm

joefremont wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:44 pm
Last year I implemented a change on the aircraft transfer system where you do an instant transfer so you could fly the plane right away rather than having to wait the standard time for it to finish, you just had to pay double the normal rate. But recently I have gotten some complaints about pilots who would fly a route with a big aircraft at x16 probably picking up lots of big packages, and then instant transfer to another location (or back to where they started) and flying again at x16.
Woooooaaa that's crazy... in my humble honest opinion,.. myself I like to enjoy every flight I do at 1x , not only because I'm on VATSIM but also because of realism this is why we call it "simulator".. You can't simulate proper procedures at x16 during phases of flight (pre-departure checks, taxi, takeoff, climb, descent and approach, taxi, shutdown and secure checks ) i think is just almost impossible. In my airline I have preselected only x1..

Im a one-pilot-airline tho, feels lonely honestly but that would be a good reason as to why I would prefer automated (AI) pilots.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:47 pm

luis969275 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:21 pm
.. You can't simulate proper procedures at x16 during phases of flight (pre-departure checks, taxi, takeoff, climb, descent and approach, taxi, shutdown and secure checks ) i think is just almost impossible. In my airline I have preselected only x1..

I think those who fly at 16x don’t do it the whole flight, I do use it but only after I’m at cruise altitude and on autopilot. There are many who at that point would leave the AC unattended for hours while at 1x, but IMHO that is worse than flying at x16.

But everyone is welcome to fly the way they want.

CRGaming
Ticket Agent

Post by CRGaming » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:05 pm

I know this was like 2 years ago, but after the whole discussion back and forth, what were the final rules? I'm trying to transfer a c172 to Europe that is a 72 hours with the standard. but it wont let me instant transfer it.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:30 pm

Basically, the system calculates how long the transfer will take, if the aircraft had not been flown or transferred in that much time before the transfer, it will allow an instant transfer.

So if a standard transfer would take 72 hours then the aircraft must not have been flown in the last 72 hours for an instant transfer.