The aircraft must have received a civilian type certificate that allows it to accept charters by third parties and be sold to other airlines.
Also one of the following qualifications must be met:
- Currently in production with at least one delivered to an airline customer and the number of aircraft produced and on order is greater than 6.
- No longer being produced with at more than 6 delivered to airlines and actively used for more than two years and more than 250 revenue flights.
- Military aircraft that can carry passengers or cargo where at least 10 were built and at least one sold to private customers and flown for a commercial purpose on a regular basis.
One of the following qualifications:
- Currently in production with at least one delivered to an airline customer and the number of aircraft produced and on order is less than 7.
- No longer in production with no more than 6 delivered to airlines or actively used for less than two years or less than 250 revenue flights.
- Military aircraft that can carry passengers or cargo where at least 20 were built, was in service for at least 5 years and where the Manufacturer either received a civilian type certificate for it or marketed it for civilian use but was unable to find purchasers and no other civilian version of the aircraft was sold.
So as a result of these changes you can now request as special use aircraft the Lockheed C-5, Lockheed C-141, Boeing C-17 and Airbus A400. These aircraft are cargo only unless they have an area specifically designed for passengers (the C-5 does). For now airlines will be limited to two aircraft of each type. Airlines should also remember that these aircraft while marketed were never bought by airlines, mainly because they are not very economical to operate. so if anyone complains "I can't make any money operating my C-17 or A400" the answer will be "I am not surprised and there is nothing I can do about it".
Remember that to buy Special use aircraft an airline but have at least five distinct members who have flown flights and at least 1 Billion V$ in assets. Special use aircraft can not be sold or leased to other airlines. If you want one submit a support request asking.