Flight Range restrictions

READ THIS FORUM FIRST! Here are the rules and important information for you.

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Flight Range restrictions

Post by joefremont » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:37 am

In anticipation of adding service stops for flights and to allow ferry flights I had relaxed the range restrictions on flights to 2 times the posted range, but it seems some members were taking advantage of this to fly unrealistically long flights, including a slew of Concorde flights at over 7000 nm where the original AC only had a range of 3900 nm.

Anyways those flights have now been removed and the range restrictions when you book a flight have been reimposed. I think I may look into a new formula for detecting low fuel usage using a ratio of fuel used to distance compared to the ratio of max fuel to max range.

I may have overreacted to this, but I was already in a surly mood from having a headache all day when I discovered this, so I am sorry.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Re: Flight Range restrictions

Post by Cat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:59 pm

gal/ltr or lbs/kg per hour would be more accurate instead of "distance". Many fly real world weather/VATSIM and may end up taking an arrival hold for weather or traffic in addition to go arounds. XPlane11 is notorious for inaccurate fuel usage as well, often 20% or more below real world numbers. Just FYI I think your changes are all for the good ....thanks again for all your hard work!

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:47 pm

I agree that fuel/hour would be more accurate but getting hours has its own problems, especially for x-plane. So fuel/distance would give a valuable base line to compare flights with. If fuel used / distance compared to max fuel / max distance is less than some ratio it may need looking at.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:34 pm

Very true and agreed, fuel/distance would set a "minimum threshold" to trigger admin review required. Who cares if they burn more. :lol: