Forum Registration FYI

READ THIS FORUM FIRST! Here are the rules and important information for you.

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Forum Registration FYI

Post by joefremont » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:49 pm

Because of some recent spammers, for now we have configured the forum so that all new users must be approved by an Admin before you can post. We will check daily and compare the email address you used to see if you're also registered as a pilot on our site. If you are registered your forum registration will be approved, if not it will be deleted.

I just updated the instructions on the registration page, but I am not asking for new users to submit a support ticket with the username they registered with in the FSA Platform. We have been getting 3-4 registrations a day from Russia, Ukraine, Pakistan, North Macedonia, etc. that I can't connect to actual users on the platform.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Re: Forum Registration FYI

Post by joefremont » Tue May 10, 2016 4:59 pm

Within the last two days I have deleted two registration attempts because I did not see them in the platform.

If you are registered as a pilot and you have confirmed your email, you will be activated in the forum within 24 hours.

If you are not registered as a pilot, your forum registration will be deleted.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:18 pm

Again a reminder, if have not registered on the platform and confirmed your mail, I will delete your forum account when you register.

Like username DohertySalome, could not find an account on the platform with the same email, so your deleted.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:20 pm

User alquivir and MarionJane, your not registered as a FSA Pilot, therefore your forum account was deleted.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:53 pm

In what may be a first, I logged in today to see four people waiting to get there forum accounts activated. I checked all four emails on the platform and I found ALL of them, so all four activated.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:47 am

Today I logged in and saw four accounts waiting for activation, for only one I could find a matching email on the platform, the other three got deleted. So tell your friends. If you try to register with an email that does not exactly match the email on your pilot account in FSA it will be deleted.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:22 am

The last six people who tried to register on the forum got deleted because I could not find a corresponding pilot in the platform using there IP address or email address.

Alan McGaughey
Ticket Agent

Post by Alan McGaughey » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:21 am

Maybe I'm naive Joe but why do they do it? What's to gain from registering under a pseudonym?

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:23 am

Alan McGaughey wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:21 am
Maybe I'm naive Joe but why do they do it? What's to gain from registering under a pseudonym?
Mostly to post spam, I am sorry but I have little patience for it.

Edit: I just deleted two more, one from Ukraine and one from Kazakhstan based on the IP address, not sure what they are up to but am not really interested in finding out.

Alan McGaughey
Ticket Agent

Post by Alan McGaughey » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:58 pm

Mostly to post spam
I used to get that occasionally but I run a closed shop now, just for VA members and by invitation only, unfortunately you don't have that option, deleting them is the right thing to do, a legitimate pilot wouldn't sign up to a users forum without joining the airline first.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:32 pm

I just deleted three more. IP address never used to log in, no email address match.

Alan McGaughey
Ticket Agent

Post by Alan McGaughey » Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:33 am

Tedious... You have my sympathy... and thanks for all the time you spend making things just so for us all.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:07 pm

Not sure why this is happening, in the last two days I have gotten 12 requests to join the forum, comparing the IP addresses used only one matched a member of FSA. More than half of them are coming from Russia based on either the IP address or they have an email address that ends in .ru
Not that there is anything wrong with being from Russia, well actually since 24 February 2022 there is but I try not to hold that against the individuals.
Edit 23 April 2023: I just came back after a few days of travelling and there were 24 forum registrations waiting to be activated, only two were legit.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:16 pm

If you want your account activated on the forum, surest way is to submit a support ticket in FSA with the username you registered with, then even if I can't link via email or IP I will now its real and not spam.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:23 am

I don't understand. When you register on the forum I have this text displayed on the page where agree to the terms.
This forum in intended for the members of FSAirlines.net, If your profile can not be matched to an existing FSAirlines.net member you forum account will be deleted. Your account will be verified in the next few days and you will receive a notification in FSAirlines when it is approved.

Important! If you want access to the forum, you must request assess on FSAirlines.net. Register on the forum then sign into you FSAirlines.net account and submit a support ticket requesting access to the forum. From the "Quick Links" on the right select "Support" and then "Submit Support Ticket" from the options. If you do not submit a support ticket we will delete your registration on the Forum.
Yet, not one person has submitted a support ticket asking for forum access. Is what I wrote above not understandable?

I understand the Russian hackers of which we get about half a dozen registrations a day are not going to do this, but what can I try? I have though about changing the the registration process so you have to create your FSA account and then have an option where you can create a forum account from your profile page, rather than register on the forum directly, but then if the main site is down you can't get on the forum at all.

What to do?