Request for database update help

READ THIS FORUM FIRST! Here are the rules and important information for you.

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Request for database update help

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:10 pm

Everyone,

Konny recently added another field into the Database for Maximum Zero Fuel Weight. If you have that information or are willing to help us Database Admins, please do so and add this information. This will limit the amount of passengers and cargo you can carry so that the system doesn't load so much cargo and passengers that you don't have enough fuel to make your destination.

Thanks for your continued interest and assistance!

BigQ

Post by BigQ » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:10 pm

Allright, will do my best to help you lot there...

Maybe it'd be nice to be able to change the database aircraft's pictures.... DB Admins' jobs to approve it or not...

Edit: Where can we find the ZFW values? i'll check the airbus and boeing sites...

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:27 pm

BigQ wrote:Allright, will do my best to help you lot there...

Maybe it'd be nice to be able to change the database aircraft's pictures.... DB Admins' jobs to approve it or not...

Edit: Where can we find the ZFW values? i'll check the airbus and boeing sites...
Boeing and Airbus should have the info on most of their aircraft. Some of the Type Certificates have the info, and some of the other "Plane spotter"-type websites have the info as well.

BigQ

Post by BigQ » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:38 pm

Ok.... could you explain, before i go too far, if the cargo value is assumed to be the "payload" value, or it's the value with full PAX? Because I got the airbus specs right in front of me, and it has the payload value, not the cargo value...

thx

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:00 pm

The Cargo value in the database is maximum cargo available. Passenger and Baggage is calculated separately. Baggage automatically reduces your available cargo capacity however, so ensure that the cargo value you give includes the baggage space if it is separated from the main cargo capacity.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:11 pm

Also, try looking at various airline's websites. United, SAS, Air Canada, ANA, and several others have been helpful to me in the past. If you use Google, just search for the aircraft type and then the words "Cargo Capacity". It will return relevant links 99% of the time.

Mark UKD171

Post by Mark UKD171 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:39 am

CAPFlyer wrote:The Cargo value in the database is maximum cargo available. Passenger and Baggage is calculated separately. Baggage automatically reduces your available cargo capacity however, so ensure that the cargo value you give includes the baggage space if it is separated from the main cargo capacity.
Hi Capflyer - i'm a little confused now, it sounds like the way cargo is calculated has been changed :? :)
Yep, if there is an aircraft in the database which is capable of 100PAX and 4000kg cargo it means that it can carry them both at once. 0 PAX and 10000kg cargo would be a cargo-only aircraft. At least that's the way the new system will handle it. So if you want different configurations you need to add the aircrafts separately.
quote from Konny on http://flynet.en-studios.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=638

When i've submitted cargo values I've done it on the assumption that the plane is at its maximum fuel state and with a maximum passenger & baggage combination too. Quite often in that case the remaining cargo capacity is not 100%

I thought that we were assuming planes would be configured for max passengers and any cargo would be in additon to that. Cargo planes would be entered as a seperate 'aircraft type' (i'm sure there was a post about it but I cant find it now so maybe I imagined it :shock: )

If you need max cargo figures irrespective of pax numbers and fuel quantity I can submit new figures for the types I already did :wink:

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:30 pm

With the introduction of the Max ZFW variable, a lot of the problems are removed from the calculations.

Here's what you need -

Find the data on the aircraft in typical passenger configuration (not max passenger, that's 1 class, 30-inch pitch sardine can-class). The data you need is -

1) Maximum Takeoff Weight
2) Maximum Zero Fuel Weight
3) Operating Empty Weight
4) Number of passengers carried in the typical 2-class or 3-class passenger configuration (depending on aircraft size).
5) Maximum cargo capacity. This is NOT the max capacity in an all-cargo configuration (and I never said that). This is the max cargo capacity in PASSENGER or COMBI configuration.

The system then does some calculations -

1) It assumes a standard passenger weight and adds that up.
2) It assumes a standard weight of 15kg per passenger for baggage and adds that to the CARGO section, thus reducing the amount of cargo it can load.
3) It fills the plane up until it reaches MZFW with revenue cargo.

So, the number of passengers will limit the amount of cargo you can fly on that flight in the lower holds because you bump up against the Maximum Zero Fuel Weight. You want to put in the numbers to add up to MZFW and NOT what's left between your weight with full fuel and MTOW. If you do, you're automatically preventing yourself from making what the aircraft is capable of.

The only things we're missing now is that the system limiting the amount of fuel you can load into the plane based on the reported ZFW from your flightplan and bumping people (and baggage) to ensure the maximum amount of cargo possible is carried (within reason). Then it forces you to plan properly and maximizes your profit (just like the real airlines do). :)