Flight profit adjustment

READ THIS FORUM FIRST! Here are the rules and important information for you.

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

AL328

Post by AL328 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:27 am

These are my thoughts on the matter. I agree with many, in saying that the time compression limitations are too harsh. I have a very busy time during the week, but still choose to spend much of my free time on FlyNet. Also as Ionathan said, many of the VA's have suspended operations. We at Albatross have suspended operations until this matter is resolved. I think that if a suitable compromise isn't reached, many people will leave FLyNet, not only CEO's but many of the pilots, as they don't want to fly under this system. This would make it harder for the remaining airlines, as if number of the non-managing pilots leave, there will be less pilots to recruit, resulting in more one man airlines.

Last edited by AL328 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:43 pm

cmdrnmartin wrote:Actually, the 1000x was argued by at most, two people, for being too large. I can refer you to the thread where you complained about it because of your low pax loads and the resultant loss in capital: http://flynet.en-studios.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=481
I won't go back to this because you did not ever understand the point I was raising and still don't. Konny does and has addressed my concerns in separate PMs thus I see no need to continue hashing this out with you since you cannot seem to get the point that I made as plainly as possible.
Now in the purpose of game balance, not reality, I suggested my ideas, and the 1 day of flying per pilot restriction sounds good to me to, although extending on that to only allow for 55 hours of flight a month is going too far in my opinion. Why should a game tell me I cant fly more if I want to?
Again though, where has this been put forth? I've seen everyone stating that somewhere there was a suggestion of a "hard" limit on flight hours per month, but going back through the post I can't find it.

The only limitation I've found was the 24 hour limitation and then a 100 hour "soft" limitation. That means for anyone flying over 100 hours a month, they then have some sort of penalty assessed to them (nothing major, but something to help slow down the ability to make huge sums of mony by taking advantage of time acceleration and lots of free time). The only reason I think it'd be good is to make it less likely for someone who has a lot of time on their hands from flying 16 hour flights at 16x 7 days a week for a month (or even 2 weeks if on vacation). Because of the fact you can walk away from the computer or do other things while the plane is flying, that makes it possible for the system to be taken advantage of by persons who want to fly more than "humanly possible" in a month by using a combination of flying every day and using time acceleration to max out the daily allowance for that aircraft.

Like I said, the big issue is just trying to make the field a little bit more level so that airlines can grow at a similar rate no matter what level of realism they want. I've been in this hobby for 7 years now and I've seen most of the spectrum of people who play. Unfortunately there is a farily large sect of mostly minors (13 - 15 year olds mainly) who do nothing but attempt to take advantage of the system that they work under every time they turn around. Whether that be falsifying pilot reports, using sim rates in excess of what's allowed by the VA's rules, flying airplanes they're not authorized to fly, etc. FlyNET needs some form of protection against these kinds of persons who will attempt to take advantage of the system and create large profits in short amounts of time and gaining unfair advantages over the other airlines.

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:11 pm

For everyone reading this, I huighly reccomend you vote in the poll at the top of the news thread to let us know your opinions.

CApflyer, the issue was your airlines reputation, we pointed it out to you, and I remember the thread quite well. I posted the link so anyone unfamiliar with the issue could read it and draw their own conclusions.

As for protection, yes I agree there should be some form of protection in there, but if someone flies non stop on flynet, well, thats their prerogative. if they want to run their business like that, I have no problem with it. it's not cheating, their making money and building an airline based on the FLYnet structure. I do believe we should reward people who enjoy realism and follow procedures, but I am against making people pay in terms of profit if they just want to go up and have a little fun.

In anycase, feel free to vote in the poll, so far the barometers been telling me that a lot of people are dissatisfied with the change which means its something we have to fix.

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:06 pm

Well, I'm currently working on the system proposed by Justin. So, you get a bonus when flying realtime and your multiplier will depend on the airline net worth.
I should be able to release the new 0.5.0b tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. Together with this adjustment there will also come the cargo-system, training- and private-flights.
Konrad - FSAirlines Developer

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:47 am

Konny wrote:Well, I'm currently working on the system proposed by Justin. So, you get a bonus when flying realtime and your multiplier will depend on the airline net worth.
I should be able to release the new 0.5.0b tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. Together with this adjustment there will also come the cargo-system, training- and private-flights.
Konny, that is ridiculously awesome. If there was a worship emoticon, it would be being used right now.

LESairways

Post by LESairways » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:37 am

Ditto Wardair

MickeyMouse

Post by MickeyMouse » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:52 pm

Thanks Konny for trying to keep it fair for us who fly compressed. I didn't understand why compression was such a problem, but I just realized that someone could use it to score big $$ fast. Never thought about that... my only use is because I don't have time for 1x flight when three kids are sitting here asking me if I will play Battlefield with them as soon as my flight is over... limited time for myself (smile). I also like the idea of limiting daily flight to what airlines limit pilots to... which I thought was 8 hours on non-transatlantic flights (or something around that).

Oh yea, I also can't wait to see how the cargo and private system works, I'm real interested in this area. If you need someone to try out the .05 client, I would be glad to.

Good input everyone, thanks... it helps keep FlyNET heading down a path that keeps us growing. With growth always comes a little pain, but I'm sure if we all don't spaz out, we will get passed it.

Mark UKD171

Post by Mark UKD171 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:34 am

Hi all,
I dont really feel qualified to comment on what system works best as i've only seen the system in its present state - I joined earlier this week.
However I can offer a start-up VA's point-of-view (I say 'start-up' regarding to Flynet as UK Direct has been around for about 8 years).

I got a very good deal on an Embraer E170, second-hand from Ricchio International (thanks guys!) and we've completed 4 flights in it.
Every flight was flown at 1x (real-time's not a requirement but thats just the way it happened) and every landing a gud 'un :wink:
Our rep is now 84, but we haven't maintained the plane yet (is in 98.6% condition) so we've a large bill to pay.

After 4 and a half hours collectively we made $v 133,000.
Admittedly we have 3000kg of fuel in the tank (not enough to get home) but maintenance is going to push us well into the red.

To summarise - Flynet is great fun (I was sweating when landing in Copenhagen - this program makes good landings very important!!) but the economic model as is definately isn't quite right.
We're losing money left, right, and centre without doing anything wrong - heaven forbid we have a crash.
The multiplier doesn't make any difference if your ticket rvenue is wiped out by fuel costs. 100x0=0, 1000x0=0, 1,000,000x0=0.

Or maybe i'm missing something....?

Anyhoo, keep it up guys, Flynet promises to be something special :D

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:10 am

Just stick with us Mark, konny's re-engineering the financial system, and we all hope it will rock our socks (Most likely it will)

And since I havnt mentioned it yet: Welcome to FLynet.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:48 pm

Also, even with this new system, it will be possible to run in the red.

I know we probably won't simulate it, but most airlines do loose money for their first 2-3 years of operation mainly because they're busy paying back short-term loans and dealing with initially low passenger loads. It would be neat to simulate this in some way, but I don't know that it would be easy to do within the desired framework that seems to be the consensus to keep it from being hand-over-fist losses (I remember hearing that initial losses shouldn't exceed 5% of annual gross income but I've never worked for a company that young yet).

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:56 pm

Ok, the new system is activated now:

The multiplier depends on the Airline net worth:
< 500.000.000v$ : 1000x
< 3.000.000.000v$ : 500x
< 5.000.000.000v$ : 400x
< 10.000.000.000v$ : 300x
>= 10.000.000.000v$ 200x

And you now get bonus when flying with a simrate below 8x :

4x : 5% bonus
2x : 10% bonus
1x : 20% bonus
Last edited by Konny on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ionathan
Captain

Post by Ionathan » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:40 pm

Would I assume there are three zeroes missing from the amounts of net worth? Otherwise I don-t see how a VA can be at 500.000 v$. I believe it is: 500 millions, 3 billions etc. Am I right?
CEO
Ionathan Airlines

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:08 pm

Oops, you're right :oops: