Airport Populations

READ THIS FORUM FIRST! Here are the rules and important information for you.

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Brendanair
Ticket Agent

Re: Airport Populations

Post by Brendanair » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:09 am

Don't forget that with the time compression debate, you're also dealingwith environmental impacts (how much does it cost to leave your computer on for 14 hours, while your flight is on autopilot?)

Myrm
Flight Attendant

Post by Myrm » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:22 am

Though I don't believe in using time compression, I do get around having to sit in front of my PC for the whole journey in a long-haul (Stockholm to Kansas City being my favourite route - Hi Max! :wink: ), by using the auto-pilot to control the plane and having the co-pilot controlling radio communications (using Radar Contact 4). This usually takes the form of taking off from Sweden, getting to cruise altitude, setting up co/auto-pilot, going to bed, and waking up in time to start preparations to descend into Kansas City :lol:
Myrm

"Glöm inte vår Tobias" (In memory of Tobias Enroth 1999-2007)

AdmiralRolfe
Captain

Post by AdmiralRolfe » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:38 pm

I don't think there is a huge environmental impact caused by leaving a computer on for extended periods, unless you own a 1600W PSU with quad crossfireX and maybe 10 hard drives in whatever RAID form 10 drives go in.

The point is, not everyone has the time to sit by the computer for 16 hours. Some people can't even stay awake for 16 hours :lol: FSAirlines was not designed for competition, and unless the admins say differently, FSAirlines won't become a totally competitive client.

I think the passengers available simply adds a nice touch to the client. Like the frosting on a cake. It may prevent abuse of regional airports, like the Boeing 747 landing on a 2000' runway. Once some bugs are fixed, and numbers are more accurate, the system should work nicely.
ImageImage

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:46 pm

We have only a few who choose to abuse the time compression allowance, however those who do only hurt themselves and all have burned out after only a few weeks. I know there has been talk in the past to limit everyone to 24 flying hours a day and there's been some consideration given to it, but we'll just have to see what happens. The first step was implimenting "flying time" into the transfer module as it was something that we could use to test out and ensure the robustness of the calculations needed to ensure that airplanes were not utilized beyond a reasonable amount of time in a given period. I won't say we'll limit to a 24 hour day (i.e. you can only fly the plane for what would be 24 hours of flying time so 2x 13 hour flights would not be able to be completed back-to-back), however. I think it will more likely be by week (i.e. you can't put more than "x" hours on the plane per week with that number being something like 125 or 130 hours to make it a reasonable amount of time but not allow 24-7 flying since that's not reasonably possible in the real world. BTW, 130 hours ends up being ~18.5 hours a day, which is about the theoretical maximum a plane can be utilized per day since you have to include about 30-45 minutes at each stop for the turnaround plus the daily maintenance checks.

Brian Peace
Chief Pilot

Post by Brian Peace » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:11 am

I guess I just don't understand. Your going to limit a VA... MY va..... that's just here for fun by not letting us all fly together to a small airport....if we fly 5 dash 8's into (insert tiny airport here) so that we can fly together as a group flight, and now we can't becuase there's not enough pax??

Either make this thing ultra realistic or ditch all realism completely. Don't go one way on time compression and then come limit people who aren't using TC and are using the FSA system for fun. Maybe it's unrealistic to fly a buch of dash 8's into bella coola. Or a similar feild. But it's also unrealiustic to allow VA's to make a LOT of profit flying their a380's around using TC. And, no this really hasn't been made a non issue by the "bonus" as the bonus is so small it's completely insignifigant. someone running a TC flight can run 16 times the flights I can in a day. so they make about 5% less per flight. by flight TWO their already way ahead.

All I'm saying is please don't limit the guys who are here to enjoy the system. You want to get rid of A380's at small airports??? get rid of TC.... don't do ONE and not the other.... Thanks.

My 2 cents.
MAINLAND PILOTS CLUB
http://bcnorth.tripod.com/

jch5pilot
Ticket Agent

Post by jch5pilot » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:33 am

Hello,

I quite like this 'airport population' idea. Although it is unlikely that the passenger count will go all the way down to 0 at most airports, I feel that it still adds something to FSairlines. If you have a problem with a specific airfield that is way off the numbers, send off an email. Otherwise I cannot see a problem. I like it. :)

James

alasizon
FSAirlines DB and Wiki Admin

Post by alasizon » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:05 am

Brian Peace wrote:I guess I just don't understand. Your going to limit a VA... MY va..... that's just here for fun by not letting us all fly together to a small airport....if we fly 5 dash 8's into (insert tiny airport here) so that we can fly together as a group flight, and now we can't becuase there's not enough pax??

Either make this thing ultra realistic or ditch all realism completely. Don't go one way on time compression and then come limit people who aren't using TC and are using the FSA system for fun. Maybe it's unrealistic to fly a buch of dash 8's into bella coola. Or a similar feild. But it's also unrealiustic to allow VA's to make a LOT of profit flying their a380's around using TC. And, no this really hasn't been made a non issue by the "bonus" as the bonus is so small it's completely insignifigant. someone running a TC flight can run 16 times the flights I can in a day. so they make about 5% less per flight. by flight TWO their already way ahead.

All I'm saying is please don't limit the guys who are here to enjoy the system. You want to get rid of A380's at small airports??? get rid of TC.... don't do ONE and not the other.... Thanks.

My 2 cents.
Many small airfields do not have 5 dash 8s of any variable at that airport at any time. Also, tiny airports usually don't have a high enough PAX demand to fill 5 Dash 8's. If you wish to fly five Dash 8's into an airport, at least use regional airports as they should satisfy your passenger need.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:07 am

Brian Peace wrote:I guess I just don't understand. Your going to limit a VA... MY va..... that's just here for fun by not letting us all fly together to a small airport....if we fly 5 dash 8's into (insert tiny airport here) so that we can fly together as a group flight, and now we can't becuase there's not enough pax??

My 2 cents.
Does a real airline do a fly-in? NO. This is a AIRLINE SIMULATION not a "let's go fly in groups get together". You want to do group flights? Everyone buy an airplane and fly it for your group flights. Do a "real operations" night for one of your hubs (i.e. have all your pilots start at the "out" base and fly "in" to your hub).

If you're gonna harp on the system, don't admit that you're abusing the system. More importantly, don't claim that we're somehow "opressing" you when you're doing something that the system was never intended for.

This thread is no CLOSED.