Airport Populations

READ THIS FORUM FIRST! Here are the rules and important information for you.

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

hezza
Captain

Re: Airport Populations

Post by hezza » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:12 am

Quantum wrote:I think it extremely unlikely that you will find no passengers available to fly
Well that was my point John. If the system will not restrict passengers at some airports, like you are suggesting, then it is a pointless addition to the complexity of FSAirlines. If on the other hand it will, then we should endeavour to make it both realistic and equitable.

EDIT: BBC is still disabled.

G

PCD001
Flight Attendant

Post by PCD001 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:54 am

Indeed, Graham has made a good point.
It is unlikely that the larger airports will be affected so there were will be little or no effect within FSAirlines.
However where we have 84 / 42 pax per day at smaller airports (which will affect the choice of aircraft), then these should be modelled correctly.

Bob

vaccaro
Captain

Post by vaccaro » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:23 am

I am completeley OK with the pax amount right now as we are only 2 at Air Mermaid.
What I tried to say, the runway lengths has nothing to do with the pax amount at an airport.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:09 pm

Graham - At the bottom of your posts are two check boxes "Disable BBCode" and "Disable smilies". On your posts, both were checked. I checked your preferences and it showed them enabled by default, but I think something in whatever computer you are using to access the forum has a problem with BBCode or smilies and is forcing them to be disabled.

As for the airports -

At the VERY LARGE airports, for the most part there won't be an issue with running out of passengers. This is fairly true to real life. There's usually more people on any given day wanting to fly than there are people available. It is the smaller airports where there is a much higher risk of over serving. We were getting a lot of smaller airports that should never see "big iron" like 747s that were and by restricting the passenger numbers it is doing that.

I will say this again - if you think that an airport is improperly sized, e-mail support@fsairlines.net with the airport ID and why you think it needs to be adjusted.

Private & Military airfields MUST be manually edited. Please let us know what airports in your country are military or private and we'll edit them. I've already gone through and edited the UK and A-D in the US, but it's still a LOT of airports to go through. Your help in identifying those airports which are the exception to the rule would be most helpful to us as there are several thousand airports in the database and we don't know information on all of them.

hezza
Captain

Post by hezza » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:29 pm

Thanks Christopher.
I don't think that it is an issue with my browser, because my signature and the BBCode/smilies work fine in other sections of this board. It is only in the Important announcements forum that those options are disabled for me, to the extent that the check boxes you mention are not available.
I think it is rather a privilege setting somewhere in my FSA account.

G
Last edited by hezza on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:35 pm

It appears some of the forum permissions were edited for most users so that BBCode & Smilies were disabled. I have enabled them now.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:50 am

about the pax list, thats pretty great :lol: it would be really cool if the names were the names of the actual pilots here. also, why is there no younge people? everybody on my flight was born on or before 1985... the names dont match up with locations and some names ive never even heard of are on there 3+ times... Xue Fang Li and Xue Hsueh both are from US... but it dont really matter... looks cool.

if an airline has a crash, will there be a list that shows who survived or died in the crash?
Last edited by flightsimer on Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

Myrm
Flight Attendant

Post by Myrm » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi

I like the new additions to the site, namely, the ability to raise a support ticket from the Home page, and the passenger lists. I too was surprised by the amount of "orientals" living in the US :lol: , and the lack of bin lids on the flights. Oh, and I also like the fact that I can now see the briefing document "straight on screen" rather than having to open it in pdf as default.

Just booked a domestic flight in Sweden (Arlanda, Stockholm to Lulea); 114 passengers - not one of them Swedish :shock: :lol:

Nice additions. Keep up the good work.
Last edited by Myrm on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myrm

"Glöm inte vår Tobias" (In memory of Tobias Enroth 1999-2007)

vaccaro
Captain

Post by vaccaro » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:10 pm

I too liked the pax list.
I think orientals have just switched places with western people because on todays flight from RJBB to RPLL there isn't even one oriental.
But what I'd love to protest against is
there are less female passengers and most of them aren't even young :p

Brendanair
Ticket Agent

Post by Brendanair » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:01 pm

CAPFlyer wrote: The stated purpose of FSAirlines is to provide a "relaxed reality" airline environment. That means that we operate much like a airline industry and have many of the same considerations, but not to the point that it gets to be a chore to run your VA. By forcing guys to stop flying their 777's out of an airport that can really only handle a 737 anyway, you're not doing anything to hurt the system, you're helping it by making it more enjoyable for everyone since you won't have one VA trying to be somewhat realistic and use an airplane that can safely operate out of the airport and another running every flight off the end of the runway or cheating on their payload (in FS) to make it out when they shouldn't be able to.
I agree, and I think its wonderful that someone has finally undertaken a project to bring the industrial/economic side of the aviation world to FS. It allows everyone to see the background to many decisions made by airlines in the real world. AND, the changes are in the best interest of free-market competition which makes FS more fun!

Brendanair
Ticket Agent

Post by Brendanair » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:08 pm

Actually, I know you're all going to jump on me for this, but after looking at some airports, it seems the numbers are all way too high... KBGM (Greater Binghamton) looked like it had about 49,000 available... I couldn't ever see that number ever fitting through that airport in one day. Maybe 1 thousand.

Since the virtual airlines available on this program are open to anyone around the world, I doubt you'd have to worry about time zones giving people an advantage. However, lowering the numbers would increase the competition.

Ahh who knows, its hard to write programming in for computerized people!

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:50 am

Brendanair wrote:Actually, I know you're all going to jump on me for this, but after looking at some airports, it seems the numbers are all way too high... KBGM (Greater Binghamton) looked like it had about 49,000 available... I couldn't ever see that number ever fitting through that airport in one day. Maybe 1 thousand.
Interestingly, one of the developers may have located some databases that could help us make the numbers a bit more realistic. The idea is still being "felt out", however I believe we'll see something come from it that will make everyone happy. We'll let everyone know more as we progress. In the meantime, I think overall the current system is more than acceptable.

Brian Peace
Chief Pilot

Post by Brian Peace » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:51 am

Why go to this extent to add realism and then NOT get rid of time compression? I can't compete for the pax at my airport with someone running 5 flights every 3 hours.....

This is a great and fun idea.... but I hope you thought of what I just brought up.
MAINLAND PILOTS CLUB
http://bcnorth.tripod.com/

vaccaro
Captain

Post by vaccaro » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:33 am

Brian Peace wrote:Why go to this extent to add realism and then NOT get rid of time compression? I can't compete for the pax at my airport with someone running 5 flights every 3 hours.....

This is a great and fun idea.... but I hope you thought of what I just brought up.
I should disagree. Time compression thingy is already good as 1x pilot gets more bonus than a compression pilot :). Of course I am talking about those time compression guys who make 1 flights daily. Not those freaks who flies 28 hours in real life terms.

There are several reasons that people can't make a long haul in 1x.

* Maybe they are bored. I am one of them. Even in real life more than 2 hours of travel (total hours not in air) is torture for me (even in something higher than coach class). If this is the case they won't be flying a second leg anyway :).

* Maybe they just don't have time (work, school, kids, wife, girlfriend, other family members, dog, etc...). If this is the case, they will fly maybe one more leg and thats all.

If one won't want to use time compression there are other options such as VATSIM and IVAO where it is prohibited.

I just don't understand this. Why it should always be a competition? I like flying and that is why I have MSFS. If I wanted to have competition there are more exciting stuff. GTA is really good :p.
All I want from FSA or from similar programs is to be able to see how I am doing. How my landings are, do I leave and arrive on time, etc...
Believe me or not. I couldn't manage to buy even a chewing gum with the money earned from FSA :p.

I am telling everyone this and let me repeat it.
Even if you use the most realistic add-ons, MSFS is not real and won't be real.

If you people don't believe me, on your next trip ask the pilots if they will allow you to make the entire flight instead of them :).

Myrm
Flight Attendant

Post by Myrm » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:03 am

Well said, Vaccaro. I agree wholeheartedly with your comments on this.
Myrm

"Glöm inte vår Tobias" (In memory of Tobias Enroth 1999-2007)