Game Crashes, what's the protocol?

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Milhouz
Ticket Agent

Game Crashes, what's the protocol?

Post by Milhouz » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:11 am

Hey Folks,

New user here starting an airline with my friend. We are getting some flight hours in on some craft to be more familiar before moving forward and running flights through FSAirlines. We did have a pretty big question though. How does FSAirlines handle game crashes. We play on FS2020 and my friend pretty much crashes at some point every flight. How does FSAirlines handle this? If there is a method, what is the protocol to get him back in on my location roughly to continue where we left off?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Milhouz

Cat
Chief Pilot

Re: Game Crashes, what's the protocol?

Post by Cat » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:19 pm

There is an autosave feature in FSAirlines but I am not sure it works with MSFS2020 as I do not use it. Perhaps others can chime in on this topic?

When the Client detects a sim disconnect, it will abort the flight and put the aircraft back at the departure location as if the flight was never flown.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:19 pm

Sam is correct. If the game crashes or the client looses contact with the game, it will put you back at the departure airport and you need to start over.

There is an autosave feature so you can restart a flight in progress, but it only works in P3D and FSX, not XPlane or MSFS. And even then its not always reliable and some pilot report performance problems when using it.

It is possible for and admin to re-create a flight within the website if your don't have time to fly the flight again, just leave the flight booked and submit a support request asking for it.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Milhouz
Ticket Agent

Post by Milhouz » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:01 pm

So what would you recommend for the situation where he always ends up crashing? I feel like that would be submitting a lot of these requests as it happens every flight at least once when we are flying.

My game is fine but his crashes to desktop. Can't figure out why either.

fackprod
Ticket Agent

Post by fackprod » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:34 am

Just a suggestion and not trying to tell you to suck eggs but, deal with the crash to desktop (ctd) first before using the Tracking Client. There is lots of info on the net (google) around ctd and many support forums.

Not sure at what point in flight ctd occurs. If you save untracked flight regularly as you fly you can reboot and return to the previous point and try again taking note of any event or actions that may create the crash. If ctd is random then adding in the Tracking Client becomes another distraction.

CTD can be hugely annoying. We have all been there. But a work around to try and recover tracked flights is not the best way forward.

Alastair

Milhouz
Ticket Agent

Post by Milhouz » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:13 am

I appreciate the effort. As I said this is my buddy and we have tried everything under the sun and can't figure it out. We have gotten it better but not solved it at least for flight sim 2020. All other games are fine.

What boggles us is my computer that has older hardware runs just fine without issues typically.

Sounds like I'll just cancel my subscription and move on since this won't work for us.

fackprod
Ticket Agent

Post by fackprod » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 am

I know its a pain but I uninstalled and reinstalled my sim two MSFS updates ago because I had CTD after blue flight load bar completed but before scn turned over to show plane sitting at gate or rwy with yellow Fly Now box. If CTD occurs when flights are not tracked then issue is less likely to be with FSA. Just a thought, is your buddy flying with addon aircraft / scenery? Always good to try problem solving with stock standard.

Veteran
Ticket Agent

Post by Veteran » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:33 pm

Since the latest MSFS update I also face a lot of CTDs. I have tried almost everything what I could find but so far it seems to be related to the SDK interface which is also described in the FSUIPC forum.

So your friend can test to fly the route where it always has a CTD without running any external programs like FS Airlines, Little Navmap, FSUIPC, etc. ... if the flight works you know its that issue.

In such case I would disable as many things as possible within the simulator like AI Traffic, ATC, etc.

I made a flight yesterday which always crashed and since I disabled all that stuff it worked.

Although this is not a guarantee for no CTDs anymore but it can reduce the overall amount of CTDs.

Milhouz
Ticket Agent

Post by Milhouz » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestion folks. He has reinstalled the game completely and this has been an issue since launch for him. Been through multiple installs. No background software running, no addon's besides the in game store free ones for map expansions. Happens every flight no matter the Departure or Arrival Airport.

We need to see if there is a way to monitor next time we fly why the game is crashing would like to have some info so he can submit a bug report and see if we can finally sort out the issue.

Veteran
Ticket Agent

Post by Veteran » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:47 pm

If its since release it is not the issue I have described. Then it must be something else. There is a developer mode within the game which shows you the utilization of the different hardware devices (CPU, GPU, etc.). Maybe enable this one the next time he is flying and see if something is reaching the max level before the CTD occurs.

Furthermore could you maybe post the Hardware specs from your friend's PC?

Another hint can be the eventlog from the operating system. You should find there some logs and an error code. It leads you to a folder where those crash dumps are stored. Everytime you face a CTD a crash dump is created. I was unfortunately unlucky and I was not able to open the crash dump file (which can happen since it is an unexpected event).