General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Nutlang
Ticket Agent

Flight Plan and aircraft range

Post by Nutlang » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:20 am

Hello All

Been wondering about the following..

Nothing is stopping me from say for eg. loading a flight into the database between EGLL and KJFK for a Tiger Moth...
Obviously it is beyond the Tiger`s range, I hope :D

My question now; is there a way for the FSA system to pick up this obvious flaw while I install the flight plan??

Regards

AdySmith
Flight Attendant

Re: Flight Plan and aircraft range

Post by AdySmith » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:26 am

I doubt there is a way for the system to capture this, in some circumstances, with strong headwinds, many of the existing flights are impossible, similarly, a flight "beyond range" can become achievable with tail winds.

In extreme situations it is merely a futile exercise to create the route as nobody will ever fly it!

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:15 am

Its always hard to know where to draw the line. Suppose someone has installed ferry tanks into the plane, and they have a strong tail wind, so maybe that tiger moth might make it to JFK. We could put in something, I have thought about putting in checks for runway length and type also, but at some point an airline gets out of the system what they put into it, so I am always conflicted.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Nutlang
Ticket Agent

Post by Nutlang » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:30 am

Hi Joe

Thx for the feedback
I can understand your predicament, you`re right, where would one draw the line??

I for one would not mind having those checks and balances but some other Airlines may not want or need them..
Ultimately I guess it is personnel preference..

I have drawn up a little spreadsheet for myself with each of our Aircraft`s range and I check this against my Flight Planner before loading a Flight Plan in the Database..

So for us it`s business as usual 8) :)

AdySmith
Flight Attendant

Post by AdySmith » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:29 am

The other consideration on range, of course, is Real World routes as opposed to Great Circle direct track.

Sometimes following RW airways can add a considerable overhead to your track distance!