ICAO CHANGES

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

gpav
Rampie

ICAO CHANGES

Post by gpav » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:56 am

Hi,

Is it possible to change the ICAO code for Johannesburg airport from FAJS to FAOR?

Thanks
Giorgos

Code: Select all

[/code[url=http://www.tsviewer.com/index.php?page=ts_viewer&ID=920613][img]http://www.tsviewer.com/promotion/dynamic_sig/sig.php/clan400x58x_fs/920613.png[/img][/url]

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Re: ICAO CHANGES

Post by joefremont » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:01 am

Unfortunately it is not possible.

The problem is most pilots fly in the world created my Microsoft when it released FSX, in that world the code for the airport is FAJS. I did try to do an update of airport codes but it became a mess as most simulators are not updated with the new codes. Even the lasted P3D from Lockheed uses the old code.

So the rule we use here is that if an airport exists in FSX we will always use the code that exists in FSX, no exceptions.

When the majority of pilots are using a sim that has updated the codes, we will revisit this but until then anyone who asks will get a polite but firm NO!
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:22 pm

Airlines simply need to post a NOTAM on their sites to their pilots regarding any code issues they fly into. It is not that difficult to keep a bulletin board with "code conversions". Knowing the database is once again solid per matching FSX codes, the few that are an issue with any particular airline can be so noted by each airline independently.

g3o
Ticket Agent

Post by g3o » Sat May 18, 2019 8:17 pm

Replace it the Kyrgyz airports the ICAO-codes from the celestial one onto the present one.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sat May 18, 2019 10:11 pm

g3o wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:17 pm
Replace it the Kyrgyz airports the ICAO-codes from the celestial one onto the present one.
I am going to repeat myself and will use large type so you don't miss it.
So the rule we use here is that if an airport exists in FSX we will always use the code that exists in FSX, no exceptions.
We will not revisit this issue while the majority of our users are using a sim that has the old codes. If P3D v5 comes out and they have updated there airport codes, we will discuss it, but until then, the subject is closed.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Tue May 21, 2019 1:49 pm

For VA's who want to use current airport codes, all you need is a conversion chart for your airports in question for your pilots ... it's not that hard and WAY easier than changing the entire FSA database just to suit a few specific airports ..... we do it for our float plane challenge so I speak from experience. 8)

g3o
Ticket Agent

Post by g3o » Sat May 25, 2019 8:58 am

No the essence that he should be easier, but let there be real data.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sat May 25, 2019 4:18 pm

But where is that real data, where is your source of truth. We have over 50,000 airports in our database, who is to say what is right and what is wrong. We are also a very small site, we don't have the money to pay someone to curate the airport database. So then lets use the airports in the sim, they are at least consistent within the sim, and which sim do most users use, FSX with P3D next.

We tried using openairports.com, which had the promise of being a good source of truth but being opensource there are so many errors in it that it was pretty much unusable.