Default FSX 208 Caravan

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

VegasTim
Flight Attendant

Default FSX 208 Caravan

Post by VegasTim » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:53 am

Hi Everyone,

Quick question which a search did not come up with an answer. Our VA has both Grand Caravans and Cargomasters. I was asked by a new pilot today if he can fly either using the default FSX Caravan? As it has the belly pod, I would think yes even though it will have windows, but I am using that "ASS-U-ME" word ...

Need a little assistance here please to clarify. :?

Thanks!

Tim D
CEM-FSNVA

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Re: Default FSX 208 Caravan

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:06 am

Yes, you can use the default FSX Caravan, however the capabilities won't line up as the empty weight of the Grand Caravan and the Cargomaster are different, thus the payload it can carry is different. I'm pretty sure there's a modification out there available for the Default Caravan to make it a Cargomaster, but if not, you can copy the C208 folder, rename it "C208 Cargomaster" or something like that, then edit the aircraft.cfg by removing all but one repaint, renaming that repaint as a "Cessna 208 Cargomaster" for the manufacturer and type, and then editing the weights to match those in the database.

VegasTim
Flight Attendant

Post by VegasTim » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:40 am

Thanks Cap!

Yeah, I make sure my pilots know to always use the dry operating weights listed in the aircraft information page and not to use whatever they want. It's easy for aircraft with a working FMS/CDU but otherwise it's .cfg tweaking time. I can make one to match, rename it and post it for them to use with a typical cargo texture like the freeware FedEx...then it would be a different aircraft in their listings so they would know which one to use without trying to figure out which .cfg is the correct one for that particular FSA airplane.

I just wasn't sure if the Client distinguished the two types like it will for 737-400 or 737-800.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:17 am

The client only looks at the ICAO code listed in the aircraft.cfg, number of engines, and the weights. As long as the ICAO matches and the weights are close on the weights, it'll allow it.