14%
Never!
7%

Total votes: 14

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Prepar3D

Post by joefremont » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:06 am

If you don't know already Lockheed Martin has purchased the rights to Microsoft FSX and are selling it as Prepar3D. Currently our client is not compatible with it. Its not cheap, at 499 per copy, and according to there site.
Train for your missions and practice flight plans with Prepar3D®. Lockheed Martin offers Prepar3D for military, government, commercial, training and education applications. As provided in our End User License Agreement, the Prepar3D application is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product.
So before we decide if we are going to support it I wanted to get some feed back from our users.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Re: Prepar3D

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:49 am

Joe, I would not really consider supporting Prepar3D.

1) They did not license FSX, they licensed ESP, a modified version of FSX designed for commercial users only.
2) The contract for the rights specifically prohibits ESP/Prepar3D being used for anything other than commercial use.

I highly doubt that Lockheed will allow development that allows Prepar3D to be used for anything other than commercial use. If someone wants to pay the $499 for personal use, they won't stop it, but I will almost guarantee they'll keep anyone for threatening their license.

VegasTim
Flight Attendant

Post by VegasTim » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:29 pm

Don't waste time and resources on a product that is not intended for the general public. The purpose of this software is to introduce response scenario's to government & professional transportation security contractors as they constantly train to fight in the world wide war against terrorism so you and I can sit at home secure and cozy with our families and entertainment games like flight simulators.

I would almost guarantee anyone who does purchase this program in violation of their end user agreement will have their entire life history put under a security screening microscope. Lockheed-Martin is a major player in US and worldwide defense contracts. Don't mess around where you don't belong. :shock:

EDIT: OK, that may be a little strong, but please.. you guys are all my friends here, READ the end user agreement before opening the door to Prepar3D.

VegasTim
Flight Attendant

Post by VegasTim » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:26 am

Much over reaction indeed....sorry...

It has been brought to my attention that Prepar3D actually wants active participation by pilots and professionals including "hardcore" flight simulator enthusiasts. Anyone can try the program through the Developer subscription at $9.95 per month.

The end user agreement about "home entertainment use" is supposed to clarify that this is for serious flight simulator users and not arcade type gamers. I think they need to work on their language a bit .... got me going down the wrong road! :?

So even with the program available to anyone, do the math and that's a minimum of $120 a year or $500 for the full program.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:40 pm

While you are correct they want "hard core" simmers, adding something like FSAirlines would indeed make it an "entertainment" platform and violate the EULA.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:45 pm

I think that since they do allow " training and education applications", an argument could me made that our users are using it for that purpose. FSAirlines is a site that helps pilots keep track of there flights in more airline like environment by adding the airline management functions. Its for the users to justify there use and decide for themselves if they are violating LM's EULA.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.