Limiting Passengers/Cargo

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

petec
Ticket Agent

Limiting Passengers/Cargo

Post by petec » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:36 pm

Up until now, I've been publishing routes for one aircraft type (BN2P Islander) which carries a max 9 passengers, and have therefore been limiting each route to 9 passengers in the "Limit passengers" box when publishing the flights

Now, I want to allow other aircraft types to fly the route, all with different passenger capacities.

The question is, If I leave the tick in the "No Limit" boxes for passengers and cargo, will the client still limit the number of passengers/cargo by recognising the aircraft type to be flown when the flight is booked ? (eg: Will the client recognise that a BN2P flight has been booked on the route and limit passengers to a max of 9, or that a DHC6 has been booked and make the limit 20 ? )
Pete

It's better to break ground and fly into the wind, than to break wind and fly into the ground

International Air Monument

alemaobaiano
Captain

Re: Limiting Passengers/Cargo

Post by alemaobaiano » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:03 pm

AFAIK the limit is for the flight, not the type. Why not create a new "Unlimited Pax" flight number and leave the limited flight as it is now?

Seems the simplest alternative to me.

petec
Ticket Agent

Post by petec » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Thanks for the reponse but, I suppose I simplified my question, we now have 5 different aircrraft flying the routes, all the same sort of speeds, but with different passenger capacities.

If what you say is right, then I would need to produce five diffent flights for each route (One for each capacity), which seems to make a mockery of the fact that you can assign several different aircraft to each route within the flightplanner.
Pete

It's better to break ground and fly into the wind, than to break wind and fly into the ground

MOW
Flight Attendant

Post by MOW » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:07 pm

I'm using the same flight plan for several different planes, while lating the "unlimited PAX" option turned on.

It is not a problem like FSA is assigning to every plane the amount of passengers authorized in its database. So, I just cannot charge in my C208 as many people as in my DC-3, for example.

In fact, I think you should not have any problem to allow different planes to the same route, like FSA will allow you only as many PAX as your plane can load and transport.

You should check the database just to see the information about you planes (it can be little different from other sources, but it is the information used by the client).

For example, your BN2P informations are :

As you can see, it is only a 9 people plane, even if you fix your route at "unlimited PAX".

Your DHC-6-300 plane information are the following :

It is registered as a 20-PAX plane.

The only limitation is that you have to manage your fuel weight, PAX weight and cargo weight not to exceed your MTOW (maximum take-off weight). It means that you will not be able to transport MORE people that what is assigned in the database, but you could transport LESS if you have to balance between your range capacity, cargo and passenger...

At least, it is the way I'm using the system and I undestood it. I hope this answer will help you.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:18 pm

That is correct. There is no need to "limit" the number of passengers on a flight if you can carry the maximum that type can carry on it. The restriction is for a couple of reasons -

1) To allow operation of "Combi" type aircraft that can be reconfigured "on the fly" to change the amount of cargo vs. pax on a given route segment
2) To simplify planning on long-range (for that aircraft type) flights where more fuel is required than possible with a full load of passengers and cargo and to allow the VA to decide if it prefers displacing cargo or passengers on that flight.

For example -

We (at VHA) have Bristol 170 Mk. 32 Superfreighters. These aircraft can be quickly modified in the field to carry up to 17 passengers and 3 "Mini" cars, or up to 6 "Mini" sized cars or cargo and no passengers. However, due to weight restrictions, if my flight is less than 2 hours long, I have to be careful how much total payload I load to ensure I stay below max landing weight and my fuel is loaded properly. As such, for shorter flights in our route system, we don't restrict the passengers, but we restrict the cargo/car payload to just 5200 kilograms (instead of the 7000+ it can carry). This ensures that I stay below max landing weight even with fuel and that I don't have to take the extra "ballast" fuel required if I had carried more payload which makes the route cost more.

petec
Ticket Agent

Post by petec » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:11 am

OK guys,

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
Pete