How can individuals afford to buy an aircraft?

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

RandyH
Ticket Agent

How can individuals afford to buy an aircraft?

Post by RandyH » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:47 pm

I started using FSAirlines after playing with FSEconomy and VAFinancials. I liked the idea of an individual being able to have their own aircraft here...but after using it for a while I see now that hardly anyone can afford to buy an aircraft. I make from $2,000 to $10,000 on a flight normally. To be able to afford to buy a 737 I will have to fly around 25,000 flights. If I do 2 a day it will take me 34 years to be able to buy an aircraft...........does this make sense to anyone???

Why aren't individuals able to lease aircraft?

There must be some way for an individual to purchase aircraft?

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Re: How can individuals afford to buy an aircraft?

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:12 pm

FSAirlines was not designed for and is not intended to be a "one man" network. The idea is for a VA to be formed with multiple pilots. Additionally, if you use the standard multiplier rates, you should be able to afford a larger aircraft a bit sooner than that. Additionally, you can lease aircraft and get planes earlier too and make additional money that way. But the best way is to recruit more pilots.

alasizon
FSAirlines DB and Wiki Admin

Post by alasizon » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:16 pm

Chris,

I believe Randy was referring to personal aircraft. And simply put, it would take a substantial amount of capital to buy a Boeing 737 but that is realistic in comparison to the real world. Very few people own a private Boeing, be it 727, 737, 747, 757, 767 or 777. Many more people own Cessna's, they are cheaper and easier to attain.

Also, private flights do not generate revenue, you pay for the fuel and crew costs. There is no revenue to be gained by using private aircraft.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:53 pm

Oh, well if he's talking about private aircraft, then yes, you're right. You will likely never be able to own your own 737 for private use. Which, as said, is pretty realistic. I don't know *ANY* airline pilot who could afford to have anything more than a nice light twin or maybe a King Air (sized) aircraft. The operating costs are just too high for them to support. If you want a 737, get your VA to buy you one and fly it for revenue.

Stan
Chief Pilot

Post by Stan » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:08 pm

I think what some poeple do is tip themselves from their airline revenue so that they can buy one for private use.
If you tip yourself $2m it will cost your airline $50m if you are on a 25x multiplier.
Yours Stan

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:12 pm

Yes, but that's not normally feasible because in a 1 man airline you don't make that much and in a multi-man airline, that pisses off the other pilots, so it's kinda self-policing. :)

ALT2826
Ticket Agent

Post by ALT2826 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:30 pm

Private planes are one of the things that keep me going on FSA. I have a good personal fleet but that just reflects what it is: A PRIVATE PLANE. I Agree with CAPFlyer. Ok, or you are a John Travolta sort of guy and have a 727 to go anywhere (but then you wouldnt be questioning the A/C price) or you are what you are: a Pilot in a VA that wants to go somewhere IF you have the cash to afford the costs. Private planes dont give you any cash as you know so you will get used to see some red numbers in your logs. In the end I just love the feature, shame only about some odd and completely "unrealistic" prices you get (as the MD500 helicopter (little thing for 4 persons) costing 3x more than his big brother and brand new hi-tech MD902. Really, 9.000.000 for that (see pic bellow)?! Same as a 737-300 or Lear 45?!? Should be around 500k, 900k tops!! I've tried to change but got an email back saying tht "is the price for that sort of a/c weight" or something).
Anyway, buy yourself a Do.27 or a Huye and make your goal: travel around the world hehehe. Have fun dude, Cheers :D

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:01 pm

Antonio, the MD500 is priced what it goes for. If anything, the MD902 price is probably wrong. I'll do some looking online to see if I can get some price points to adjust them to.

ALT2826
Ticket Agent

Post by ALT2826 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:11 pm

Got it! My mistake CAP. I was looking for some real prices on the net and went to the MD site. The thing is that I've been thinking about the MD 500D (the one I've added in the FSA list by request and you kindly accepted) since I got the Nemeth Brothers FSX model. Happens that the D model gave place to the newer E model (MD 500E) and is out of production ever since. My apology. You can buy an real MD 500D for around 500.000 US$ but not a MD 500E (couldnt find the price for that one).

Cheers buddy

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:23 pm

That's correct, and since the MD-500E is still in production and our database is just for the "MD-500" series, I think it's appropriate to use the current price for a new aircraft, not a used one. :)

Anyway, I'll still look into finding prices for the MD-902 to make it closer to what it really goes for.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:28 pm

Okay,

Found some data. The MD-500E (in 2002) went for approx. $1 million fitted. The MD-902 went for approx. $3 million fitted. Adjusted for inflation, that puts the cots around $1.5 million for the MD-500 and $3.8 million for the MD-902. I think this will be a reasonable price for the aircraft and I have updated the prices to reflect these new costs. I think what happened with the MD-500 was that someone added an extra "0" to an old price point and it should have been $900,000.

RandyH
Ticket Agent

Post by RandyH » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:36 pm

Thanks for all the input guys.

Yes...I was talking about Private Aircraft.

I was also thinking about giving people in the VA their own personal aircraft when they reach a certain level....but I guess that is not feasable...unless it is a small aircraft.

Well thanks again guys.

ALT2826
Ticket Agent

Post by ALT2826 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:54 pm

Love the idea Randy, going to talk to my CEO straight away hehehe You can tip the pilot with the value of the plane. LOL gonna ask for a Citation X for meself hehehe

alasizon
FSAirlines DB and Wiki Admin

Post by alasizon » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:43 pm

The thing to be careful of is when you tip a pilot it is the tip amount multiplied by your multiplier. Which means at 50x, 1,000,000 would cost 50,000,000. Also, you can only tip a maximum of 2,000,000 at a time.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin