ICAO change in Armenia

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

erv
Ticket Agent

ICAO change in Armenia

Post by erv » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi,

A few years ago Armenia got new ICAO codes, UD**.
As our VA have flight to Yerevan, we faced it that in FSA there is still old ICAO in use for Yerevan's Zvartnots Intl - UGEE instead of UDYZ. Tried to add the airport manually, but it got declined:
-----
Airport Edit Declined
Yerevan UDYZ
Airport already in database - UGEE
-----

It can be checked in many places that the current ICAO is UDYZ, like Navigraph, Jeppessen, etc. Anything that could be done in this regard?
I am not sure about the other airports in the country but I guess it might be the same thing.

alasizon
FSAirlines DB and Wiki Admin

Re: ICAO change in Armenia

Post by alasizon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:35 pm

This has been brought up many times before in the past. The simple thing is, the versions of FS that FSA supports all use the old ICAO. Therefore, if we changed the ICAO in the database, it wouldn't be the same. We would also have to change all flightplans to/from that airport to the new ICAO while the old ICAO would still have to be used inside FS.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:10 am

As was said before, it's been discussed. Use of the Search tool in the upper right of the screen will find all of the previous topics on the subject.

VegasTim
Flight Attendant

Post by VegasTim » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:48 pm

CapFlyer, 'search' only turns up 3 replies, so whatever was discussed previously does not come up under ICAO Armenia or Zvartnots search criteria.....

I'm just finding out about this problem here in 2011/2012. FSX actually has the UDYZ code and FSA has UGEE. Having said that, I wonder if there is a way to create a "new" Zvartnots in the database, call it say "Zvartnots II". That way no previous data needs to be removed/changed but the 2nd code could be used.

Perhaps the database has a proximity feature that simply won't allow that to happen..... dunno.... I think we'll just end up flying over Armenia on our new "Adventure Europe" tour coming in 2012.... sometimes we virtual airline operators/managers just have to realize that FSA is what it is ..... just a game.
(a highly addictive one at that! :wink: )

Happy New Year and a wishing everyone a healthy and prosperous 2012!

VegasTim
Flight Attendant

Post by VegasTim » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:58 pm

Thinking about this issue some more, if we land at Zvartnots, the lat/long should tell the FSA system we are in the correct place regardless of the code, right?

If that's the case, then we only need to file our flight plan into UGEE on FSA, then file our flight plan in FSX to UDYZ. Once we get there, it should make no difference to the Flight Tracker as it goes by GPS (lat/long) position.....

Am I nuts or will this work? :shock:

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:44 am

You've got the situation down exactly.