B-17 A/C Info

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Motomad1
Flight Attendant

B-17 A/C Info

Post by Motomad1 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:50 am

I was wondering if anyone had the Aircraft Info for the B-17. Would be a great plane to add to FSA. But i cant seem to find the Aircraft Info..

If some one called post a link or maybe evan add it would be great..

Is it evan possable for it to be added?
ImageImage

vaccaro
Captain

Re: B-17 A/C Info

Post by vaccaro » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:55 am

http://www.b17.org/history/specs.asp

I think it can't be added to database as it was a bomber and not used for transport anything other than bombs ;).

Maybe you can check B-307 which is a close relative to this a/c.

Motomad1
Flight Attendant

Post by Motomad1 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:06 am

Well i did think that but thenn i thought were the bombs are you called put cargo?

See how we go.

Cheers
ImageImage

alasizon
FSAirlines DB and Wiki Admin

Post by alasizon » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:29 pm

It had to be used by a civilian company in order to be added to the database. There are certain exceptions to this rule, however, these aircraft were added before this rule took effect.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:42 pm

its in civilian use now so it should be allowed. you can go to an airshow and by a oneway ticket on a b-17 but then you have to find a way home. some b-17's were even converted to airliners or business aircraft

the only exception was the b-52 which it is only here because someone already had it before it could be removed. we have had the b-29, p-51, t-6 and spit 16 all added after the rule was made. these planes have been added just within the last 2 months to a year.
Four B-17s were converted to serve as cargo carriers and V.I.P. transports under the designation C-108 Flying Fortress. (Many more served in the same roles under the designations CB-17 and VB-17, respectively.) The first of them, designated XC-108 was a B-17E partially stripped of military equipment and outfitted with various living accommodations. It served as a V.I.P. transport for General Douglas MacArthur. A similar conversion was made on a B-17F, which was redesignated YC-108. The third plane, designated XC-108A, was made to test the feasibility of converting obsolete bombers to cargo aircraft. B-17E 41-2595 was chosen for the conversion. Based in India, it ferried supplies over the Himalaya to the base for the B-29 Superfortress in Chengdu, China. It proved a difficult plane to maintain, due to lack of spare parts for the Cyclone engines, and was sent back to the United States, where it was based in Bangor, Maine, and flew a cargo route to Scotland until the end of the war. It was sold to a local dealer for scrap, but the airframe survived, and is currently being restored in Illinois. The final one was built under the designation XC-108B, and was used as a tanker to transport fuel from India to Chengdu.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:16 pm

The B-17 will be allowed on the criteria that it is a "warbird". Thus, it can only carry 5 passengers (required crew is 3 and you can't have anyone in the tail or nose during takeoff due to safety concerns) and it can only carry 100kg of "cargo".

Otherwise, put whatever info you want on it.

Motomad1
Flight Attendant

Post by Motomad1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:14 am

So it wouldnt be a profit-able aircraft?
ImageImage

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:34 am

Most likely not, and that's the point. They are not cargo aircraft nor airliners. They are pieces of history that are used either for pleasure or experience flight. If you're lucky, you'll break even, but it's very hard to do in the real world.

Motomad1
Flight Attendant

Post by Motomad1 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:41 am

Yes very true, i guess if the ticket prices were very high you could get a small profit, but then the plane will have to be full..

Thanks for your help guys :!:

:mrgreen:
ImageImage