NO MORE FS EVER AGAIN!!!! (4 now)

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

NO MORE FS EVER AGAIN!!!! (4 now)

Post by flightsimer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:55 pm

NOOOOOOOOOO Microsoft has canceled and shut down both Flight simulator and Train simulator series of games. the people who designed them have been laid off... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

http://i.gizmodo.com/5137795/tragic-cas ... ed-forever

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=21981
Last edited by flightsimer on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Re: NO MORE FS EVER AGAIN!!!! :(

Post by Quantum » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:02 pm

That's a huge assumption "No more FS ever again".
The future of the three software lines in or out of house is unclear, particularly given how extensive the ACES Studio layoffs are said to be, but Gamasutra has contacted Microsoft for comment on the report.
You get lots of people reading between the lines. Until Microsoft make any sort of announcement officially, everything else is speculation.

Time will tell.

Regards

John
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Re: NO MORE FS EVER AGAIN!!!! (4 now)

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:55 am

The OFFICIAL word from MS and their PR company is that FSXI and TS2 are NOT dead. They have been placed on hold and additional evaluation will be made when the economy begins to recover. There are apparently still a few members around to support ESP (the ACES commercial development of the FSX engine), so if things start to turn around, we may see things come back faster than expected.

It's just a wait-and-see for now.

Miikoyan
Chief Pilot

Post by Miikoyan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:13 am

I think that for Microsoft to keep the FS franchise running is to have the next game, FSXI, to be as successful as FS9, since FSX performed fairly poorly compared to FS9. Another thing for MS to keep in mind is to have the game to be extremely high quality but still be able to be run on older computers.
GoUS Executive Chairman
World Alliance Board of Directors

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:15 am

CAPFlyer wrote:The OFFICIAL word from MS and their PR company is that FSXI and TS2 are NOT dead. They have been placed on hold and additional evaluation will be made when the economy begins to recover. There are apparently still a few members around to support ESP (the ACES commercial development of the FSX engine), so if things start to turn around, we may see things come back faster than expected.

It's just a wait-and-see for now.
i hope thats the case
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:41 pm

Miikoyan wrote:I think that for Microsoft to keep the FS franchise running is to have the next game, FSXI, to be as successful as FS9, since FSX performed fairly poorly compared to FS9. Another thing for MS to keep in mind is to have the game to be extremely high quality but still be able to be run on older computers.
Actually, this is a misnomer. FSX as far as revenue has been a better seller than FS9. The other issue is that FSX is the same as FS2000 and FS5.1. Both were "hogs" on the system because of a new graphics engine being introduced. This is the natural cycle of development for the program. They do as much work as they can on the time schedule they're given, put it out as bug free as possible (which FSX has been pretty bug free considering the number of updates I have for some of my other "polished" games like Battlefield 2142 and America's Army), and then if there are any flaws that general release shows (which FSX has, especially with the DX10 engine), they fix it for the next release. In fact, the indications from those at ACES was that they were having great success with the new FSXI engine refinements and with DX10.1 and Windows 7, I would suspect that performance would increase dramatically as it did in FS2002 and then in FS2004 which were both refinements of the FS2000 engine.

Brian Peace
Chief Pilot

Post by Brian Peace » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:49 pm

I'd be happy to just be able to get fs9 running without a CTD every 20 minutes. I still use 2002... it's stable as a rock on my system... 6+ years of use... ZERO desktop crashes... that's why I keep goin back to it.
MAINLAND PILOTS CLUB
http://bcnorth.tripod.com/

AdmiralRolfe
Captain

Post by AdmiralRolfe » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:05 am

Miikoyan wrote:I think that for Microsoft to keep the FS franchise running is to have the next game, FSXI, to be as successful as FS9, since FSX performed fairly poorly compared to FS9. Another thing for MS to keep in mind is to have the game to be extremely high quality but still be able to be run on older computers.
I'm happy with FSX and I know many other people who are :lol:

I hope to be happy with FSXI too.
ImageImage

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:42 am

im quite happy with fsx too...

cap that is propbably the best i have ever heard fsx put... and its right on...

and i love how people complain about not getting 60 fps... and that 20 is not good... even though the human eye cant tell the differences after around 25 fps...
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

Brian Peace
Chief Pilot

Post by Brian Peace » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:54 am

flightsimer wrote:
and i love how people complain about not getting 60 fps... and that 20 is not good... even though the human eye cant tell the differences after around 25 fps...
sooo true man... soo true.
MAINLAND PILOTS CLUB
http://bcnorth.tripod.com/

Miikoyan
Chief Pilot

Post by Miikoyan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:00 am

Ahahaha - at myself. My computer's 1.4 gHz, and FSX's maximum framerate at 1048 (is that right? the one above 800's) resolution with all options turned down is somewhere around 10. FS9, with my addon sceneries turned all up I can reach around 30 fps.
GoUS Executive Chairman
World Alliance Board of Directors

tjbaughn
Captain

Post by tjbaughn » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:33 pm

Flightsimer, sorry I started another post about this subject I did not see your post. I just read this article http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2339520,00.asp and wanted to pass it along to everyone.

And CapFlyer you used the term “Courteous” on the post I made was it to call me being Rude? If so that was not necessary, but as an admin here I guess you can do or say anything you like.
ImageImage

AdmiralRolfe
Captain

Post by AdmiralRolfe » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:21 am

FSX is heavily dependant on processor speed. For Pentium's, 3.0 Ghz is recommended from what I have seen. For the people with dual and quad cores, I think it's fair to say over 2.0 Ghz is fair enough for basic performance with acceptable framerates.
ImageImage

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:06 am

I've got an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ and it runs FSX at 15-20 FPS with no problems and mid-range settings. I've got a good graphics card and a good sound card, and the sound card made more of a difference in my FPS than anything else.